The Weaver and Other Unsettling Short…

The Weaver and Other Unsettling Short Stories

by E. D. Walker

531,436,638 (3.5)None

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
First disappointment: only 3 short stories in this collection. I would have preferred a larger selection, especially to see how else the author would engage with this theme, but oh well!

Overall, I found this collection just okay. I didn’t enjoy the first story at all. It just felt too stilted, like the language was very formal so there wasn’t a nice flow in reading it. The second was probably my favourite as it was a clever re-imagining of the Scrooge tale, focusing on the horror of coming face-to-face with an angry ghost rather than the feel-good mood of the holidays.

Still, the author is very creative with her telling of the stories and each is “unsettling” in its own right. I really would’ve liked to see how else she could spin this “unsettling” theme but with only three stories it didn’t feel that it led anywhere. Hopefully there will be a volume 2! ( )
  Lib-books | Jun 12, 2016 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. There are 3 stories in this short book and while the first one was great the others were okay. The writing is good and the premise great but I found the other two stories were not up to the caliber of the first one. If you want a quick fantasy read this will probably work. ( )
  thicks | Sep 1, 2015 |
I received this book through LibraryThing in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This is a brilliant collection of three short stories which are, as the title promises, actually unsettling. The stories - ranging from a continuation on the legend of Ariadne to the imagined scenario of Scrooge waiting for Marley's promised visitations - are told well and are evocative, gripping and ultimately satisfying. The collection is very short so would be great for a reader with limited time. I would highly recommend this for anyone interested in fantasy. ( )
  flusteredduck | Jun 7, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

E. D. Walker's book The Weaver and Other Unsettling Short Stories was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

E. D. Walker is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,159,998 books! | Top bar: Always visible