Happily Ever After: Companion to the…

by Kiera Cass (Author)

Series: Selection (short stories, 0.4, 0.5, 0.6, 2.6, 3.1)

Meet Prince Maxon before he fell in love with America, and a girl named Amberly before she became queen. See the Selection through the eyes of a guard who watched his first love drift away and a girl who fell for a boy who wasn't the prince. Features four novellas from the world of Kiera Cass's Selection series, two of which appear here in print for the first time. Additional content includes new scenes from The Selection, The Elite, and The One; introductions to each novella from Kiera Cass; a map of Illéa and other illustrations.… (more)
Member:Marilyn95
Title:Happily Ever After: Companion to the Selection Series (The Selection Novella)
Authors:Kiera Cass (Author)
Info:HarperTeen (2015), 416 pages
Rating:*****

Happily Ever After: Companion to the Selection Series (The Selection Novella) by Kiera Cass

***DO NOT READ if you have not read The Selection, then The Elite, and then The One. You will either be lost to referenced events or character development.***

Refer to my review of The Selection at https://www.librarything.com/work/11909760/reviews/184304019
Refer to my review of The Elite at https://www.librarything.com/work/12911128/reviews/184304235
Refer to my review of The One at https://www.librarything.com/work/13556144/reviews/184304400

The best description for this book/series in 10 words or less:
"The Bachelor meets royalty in a post-apocalyptic United States."

There isn't too much to say about this because these are separate novellas from the original series.

All I have to say is that I love how you can get a view of several characters that we all love dearly. If you're Team Aspen or Team Maxon, this may sway you to be in the middle because I know I was Team Maxon when I read the original trilogy but now I am in the middle because Aspen's motivations are very valid and you can see his change a little more clearly.

I felt both satisfied and unsatisfied because I definitely wanted to read more about each of these characters.

Refer to my blog for a different view of this review:

Check out other books in my personal library for reviews and recommendations:
https://literarymary.libib.com/ ( )
  Marilyn95 | Jul 8, 2020 |
I enjoyed these but they didn't draw me in like the book series. ( )
  rosetyper9 | Dec 1, 2018 |
Honestly, I really enjoyed myself while reading this. I know a lot of people keep saying they're outgrowing the series but I'm definitely not. I've decided to review this one by writing my thoughts of the four main stories.

The Queen
While I enjoyed The Queen simply because I was able to see the workings of a different Selection, I thought that Amberly and Clarkson's love was fake and superficial. They didn't love one another for each other the way that Maxon and America do. Amberly likes him because he's the prince and she's lovesick. Clarkson likes her because she does what he tells her to. It made me uncomfortable to read because I really wanted to root for them but Amberly's compliance to any of his wishes just put me off.

The Favorite
I really enjoyed each of these stories but this one is definitely my favorite. After reading The Queen, it was a breath of fresh air to see this type of love. It was so heartwarming and I didn't want it to end.

The Guard
I never really liked Aspen's character because I was rooting for Maxon the entire time. I liked him as America's friend but as nothing more. However, I enjoyed reading from his point of view of things. I didn't enjoy how he treated Lucy though.

The Prince
I forgot how much I absolutely loved Maxon until I read this. I never really thought about his perspective on things before so I was really interested while reading this and seeing his first thoughts while encountering America.

Overall, I really liked everything. If you feel like you're outgrowing the series then you definitely don't need to pick up this book but, if you're still enjoying the series, pick it up and give it a go! ( )
1 vote spellbindingstories | May 24, 2018 |
3.75
I am not normally a fan of novellas, but this one worked. I like some of the stories more than others. I do feel all of them were great additions to the story and for our characters. I liked seeing the in between story from the original series, and also where our characters are after the story. Overall, I really enjoyed this. ( )
  SimplyKelina | Mar 3, 2018 |
Overall, I think these stories were wonderful additions to the Selection trilogy and if you enjoyed that, then you would definitely enjoy getting glimpses into the lives of those around America. ( )
  Moore31 | Feb 25, 2018 |
(The Queen)

Two weeks in, and this was my fourth headache.
(The Prince)

I paced the floor, trying to walk out the anxiety in my body.
(The Guard)

“Wake up, Leger.”
(The Favorite)

I pulled the top layers of my dress a little tighter over my shoulders.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,613,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible