Never Resist a Rake (Somerfield Park) by Mia…

Never Resist a Rake (Somerfield Park)

by Mia Marlowe

This is book two in the Somerfield Park series and as usual, it very well may be read as a stand alone, but because there’s an important part to our hero’s past rooted in the first book, I highly recommend you read the other first. And besides, both books are wonderful plot wise and as romances.

In this one, our hero is someone I liked a lot. I liked the complexity of his character. He’s not your regular off the mill dandy, nor is he a rake of the first order. I loved that his character was shaped by so many things that happened to him in the past and by the things that are happening to him as he’s trying to get a grip on his current circumstances.

It took me a bit longer to warm up to the heroine Rebecca, but eventually I did because I finally understood where she was coming from and why she acts the way she does.

This wasn’t one of those romances that is perfectly neat and I loved that about their love story.

I’d be remiss in not mentioning a slew of secondary characters who made this story complete and much more satisfying, such as those from the previous book and the downstairs staff of Somerfield Park.

This story, as well as the first book, both have a deliberate feel of Downton Abbey and as a fan of that TV show, I reveled in the extended story of the help.

I highly recommend it you pick it up this summer.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
"4.5 out of 5 stars! After believing all his life that he was a bastard of a Lord, John recently learns he is the legitimate heir to his father. However, still not taking kindly to the family who abandoned him, John goes to London (with his new title) and involves himself in enough debauchery to make the ton cringe. Yet, during one of his "excursions," he "officially" meets and saves Lady Rebecca (an impoverished baron's daughter). John finds to be the first person to talk to him with honesty and to whom makes him feel like the man he was prior to earning his title. Therefore, once John's family sics themselves on him she is the first one he asks to help him. But as their "friendship" turns into something more they'll have to maneuver more than just the ton's rules to find their "happily-ever-after."

This fast-paced novel keeps you on the edge of your seats as you follow John into his new "privileged" world. Quite the dashing fellow, he does pull off being a rake but it's John's vulnerability that endeared me to him while..."

Read more of this review and THREE TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2016/08/feasted-on-somerfield-park-ser... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Aug 20, 2016 |
...join the 'Hartley Hunt'

Basically an illegitimate son is discovered to be not so 'born on the wrong side' after all. The new Lord Hartley takes to his mantle by galloping though all the lowest of low places, drinking, fornicating, fighting along his merry, dissolute, hell bent way as a response. Why? Are that is the question! See, it's about the lack of love! Sure he was placed with a gentile family, cared for, schooled. Does that count. Never, not for John.
I kept thinking, 'Really, were you sent to the workhouse?' 'Discarded completely?' 'No!' See for John, it's love that will make the difference. And even now there's little acknowledgement of him other than being a bad mistake. I do get it. The being discarded like a bad smell and then taken back as though the past can be in some way expunged by an 'Oh, We were wrong. Sorry! Now get back here and do your 'duty!'
So John Fitzhugh Barrett is the heir to a marquessate. Life is really tough!
Then there's Rebecca Kearsey, daughter of an inveterate gambling baron.
Rebecca and John meet. Rebecca, starry eyes decides to search for her once glimpsed swain who has now become her crush, to her detriment. Really, really foolishly stupid!
As you can gather I am all out of patience with Rebecca. She consistently places herself in harm's way. Sure her father's treatment of her shows us the cad he is but in the end I just wasn't that interested.
The Dowager decrees that John has to join the annual family hunt--to find a bride (heirs being important!) John asks that Rebecca join the house party. He is going to use her as a foil to deter the other avid, husband hungry young things. Around town the event is being called 'The Hartley Hunt.'
I did finish the book.
There were some potentially excellent characters and the blackguards were out in force. I liked the too wicked Lady Chloe who seems to have helped a husband or two to meet their demise.
I was totally out of sympathy with the Dowager, at least for 99% of the time. She expected way too much from John, someone she'd pushed off out of sight, and out of mind.
What was the problem? Well whilst I can maybe see Rebecca engaging in commentary about an exhibition with someone in the museum, I just can't see a young woman of her upbringing and social class wandering into the dark and dangerous side of the less than salubrious parts of London due to an infatuation. That didn't feel real. Yes, I know, it did work for the storyline, but not for me.

A NetGalley ARC ( )
  eyes.2c | Jun 5, 2015 |
Summary
Rebecca Kearsey is a daughter of a baron, a baron that is low on funds, and society looks on her with disdain. She knows what its like to not be excepted. While out with her maid, she gets taken and kidnapped and taken to a underground fighting ring, and the winner will have her at his pleasure. What she doesn’t expect is to have the winner, be none other, than a man she admires, John Barrett, a man recently to become a lord, but the stigma of rumors of him being a bastard, despite it being untrue….holds a taint to the members of the Ton. John is attracted to Rebecca, she sees him in a very real way that not even his own family sees him, and when there is a opportunity to court her at a house party that his grandmother is hosting…he takes advantage. This will be his one opportunity, and soon John and Rebecca begin a courting dancing, and soon the desire they feel for each other just might ignite if they aren’t careful…

The Hero
John is a hero that I really admired and liked. He grew up poor in a cottage, but had a loving and kind mother, that got treated poorly by his grandmother. When its discovered that he is heir to the title, he is shocked, and he is brought into a world, of scandals and where he is hard pressed to find acceptance…except for a group of men that are the most despicable rakes…but he considers them his friends. John is not the man he used to be, but when he meets Rebecca his world changes, and he wants to be what she needs. What I find most endearing about John’s character, is how human he seemed. Not fake or near perfect, he had many rough challenges in his life, hadn’t made the best decisions, but at the heart of his character he was honorable and loyal.

The Heroine
Rebecca, is the daughter of a poor baron. A baron that can’t help but gamble away their funds and land. They have only the bare necessities, and funds to pay for the doctors for her mother who is sick. Rebecca has no prospects or suitors, and she isn’t respected by other members of the Ton. Rebecca is a heroine that I grew to really like…she had the inner strength I admired. I loved how she faces challenges and doesn’t back down when she gets threatened. She is devoted to John, and is very accepting of who he is, and I loved how open she is to others, and isn’t like other members of the ton and judge by rumor, but by personal connections with those persons.

Plot and Story Line
Never Resist A Rake is a charming romance that I liked even better than the first book. And I really loved the first book, but this story felt a bit more engaging to me. This is a story that may seem like your average romance, but it had certain qualities to it that separates it from other regency’s I have had the opportunity to read. For starters, the opening scene, we see it begin with a fighting match, totally scandalous and illegal…and how often do we see this type of scene in historical romance??? NEVER…that is right Ladies and Gents…hardly ever…so just the beginning scene alone sets it apart from anything else. Another aspect that I quite enjoyed, was how well these two got along and instantly connected and accepted the love they felt for each other the moment it happened. Neither of them went into denial or tried to stave it off…they openly accepted it and each other and that was very refreshing. What was also a bit fun…was that these two had already met before, we don’t see this scene, but we get a decent description of what happens…and they definitely had chemistry…even as strangers before they meet. The supporting characters were quite fun including the villain (this villain is like a wolf in sheep clothing…the characters in the story don’t see how truly demented he is until the end…but as the reader…no worries you see how depraved he is, and that just creates more thrills for you to enjoy). But we get the lovely Dowager Countess who can be trying at times, but very entertaining, I love the way she tries to “manage” her grandson and just fails each and every time. Then we have the brother Richard and is his wife, who were the couple in the first book. What I found most endearing about these two is how protective they are of him and tries to keep the Dowager under some control. This story is sweet, engaging, and passionate.

The Cover
You know I am a big fan of pink especially on historical romance covers…and this one totally works for me. I love the flirty sense we get from it, I really like the grin the gal has on the cover…like she knows a secret and won’t tell. And look at that gorgeous dress…I want it.

Overall View
Never Resist A Rake is a tale of redemption and finding your own path, its a story that is paved with adventure, mystery, flaming desire and a poignant romance…TOO DELICIOUS TO RESIST!! ( )
  addictofromance | May 31, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 149260271X, Mass Market Paperback)

Can he fool his new family?
John Fitzhugh Barrett, surprised to learn he is heir to a marquessate, is determined his new status won't mean giving up his freedom. But as families from all over England descend upon Somerfield Park for the shooting season, their unmarried daughters are lining up to bag the newest trophy buck-him.

Or is he only fooling himself?

Praise for A Rake by Any Other Name:
"Marlowe shines with a delightful and delicious comedy of errors...Regency fans will love this page-turner." -RT Book Reviews, 4 stars

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 11 Jul 2015 03:29:30 -0400)

"John Fitzhugh Barrett, surprised to learn he is heir to a estate, is determined his new status won't mean giving up his freedom. But as families from all over England descend upon Somerfield Park for the shooting season, their unmarried daughters are lining up to bag the newest trophy buck--him. John's instinct for self-preservation inspires him to divide his attentions between a scandalous young widow, and the safely ineligible Rebecca Kearsey, daughter of a destitute baron. The charade gives John the illusion of controlling the game but when he loses his heart to the beautiful Rebecca, all bets are off."-- From back cover.… (more)

Emily Bryan is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,610,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible