A Gathering of Shadows by V. E. Schwab

A Gathering of Shadows

by V.E. Schwab

Series: A Darker Shade of Magic (2)

This second book in the Shades of Magic trilogy is nearly as good as the first. It features a magic tournament, plus other things that would constitute spoilers, so I'll leave the summary at that. I thought it bogged down just a bit, compared to the first book (which I ripped through in a little over a day), but it may have been me, not the book. Two words of advice: read the first book first, and have the third book on hand, because this one does end in a massive cliffhanger. ( )
  foggidawn | Jul 22, 2017 |
DAMN CLIFFHANGERS! ( )
  MikePearce | Jun 19, 2017 |
WHAT KIND OF ENDING IS THAT WHERE IS THE NEXT BOOK
this right here is why i avoid unfinished series

and now the actual review.
this is one of the few sequels which is just as good if not better than the first book. So many plot twists i absolutely was not expecting any of them. i got so absorbed in the world i did not want to put it down, especially during the last 10% that was a roller coaster.
once again, i didn't really care for lila's story, she kind of annoyed me?? the only thing i liked was that she provided a way for us to find out things about emery. emery is a very nice character i really really really liked him and the thing with him and rhy was unexpected I LOVED IT I WANT MORE but at the same time i really ship rhy and kell together oh god i loved the change in kell's character, how he didn't want to go against the king's word but he also needed some adventure, how he was dominated by conflicting feelings, i really liked how that was executed, i could feel what he was feeling, though for most of the time i just felt sorry for him, especially at the end.
and rhy. my precious little rhy. he is so amazing. i have no words. he is very important. and i feel very sorry for him because in the end he's the one who suffers the most. his parents are simply trying to protect him but chasing away his brother is not a solution and also what happens if something happens to kell???????????????????? who's going to save them after this ending.
and there is one little thing that kind of bothers me a lot. kell and lila. was that really necessary. why couldn't it be kell and rhy? why why why
overall this book is great and everybody needs to read it now AND I NEED THE NEXT ONE
  Banoczi_Henrietta | Jun 19, 2017 |
SCHWAB, WHY?!

Vivid, frustrating, handwringingly good. I was eager to read this second installment, spent a majority of the book riddled with anxiety over Lila's stunts and certain happenings in White London, and nearly lost it at that ending. I enjoyed getting a closer look at Red London and new characters and am equally thrilled and terrified to see what Schwab does in the final book... ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
Note that this review will contain spoilers for A Darker Shade of Magic

Four months after Lila walked away from Kell near the docks of Red London to hunt down her own adventure in a world completely new to her, she is about to return to the city. Having spent four months at sea Lila has begun to hone her magic wielding skills and the allure of the grand international magic dueling competition, the Essen Tasch is too great a temptation for Lila to resist. Meanwhile, Kell and Rhy are grappling with the realities of the bond created between them when Kell saved Rhy's life as they prepare for the tournament. And in White London a change is occurring that will threaten more than just that world.

I loved this second book in the Shades of Magic just as much as the first novel. The characters, world(s), and magic system remain fascinating and Schwab creates a truly entertaining magic tournament (and a much better one for spectating *looks pointedly at JK*). I'm so attached to the characters at this point that even if the plot were a little wobbly, I probably wouldn't care. However, be warned that this novel does end with a cliffhanger so you may want to have the third book at hand rather than having to wait for the holds queue like I do. Highly recommended once you've read the first book. ( )
  MickyFine | May 2, 2017 |

Schwab, V.E.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Magic and magician must between them balance. Magic itself is chaos. The magician must be calm. A fractured self is a poor vessel for power, spilling power without focus or measure from every crack.

—Tieren Serense, head priest of the London Sanctuary
For the ones who fight their way forward
Delilah Bard had a way of finding trouble.

Four months have passed since the shadow stone fell into Kell's possession. Four months since his path crossed with Delilah Bard. Four months since Rhy was wounded and the Dane twins fell, and the stone was cast with Holland's dying body through the rift, and into Black London.

In many ways, things have almost returned to normal, though Rhy is more sober, and Kell is now plagued by his guilt. Restless, and having given up smuggling, Kell is visited by dreams of ominous magical events, waking only to think of Lila, who disappeared from the docks like she always meant to do. As Red London finalizes preparations for the Element Games-an extravagent international competition of magic, meant to entertain and keep healthy the ties between neighboring countries-a certain pirate ship draws closer, carrying old friends back into port.

But while Red London is caught up in the pageantry and thrills of the Games, another London is coming back to life, and those who were thought to be forever gone have returned. After all, a shadow that was gone in the night reappears in the morning, and so it seems Black London has risen again-and so to keep magic's balance, another London must fall.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 22:25:41 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,985,842 books! | Top bar: Always visible