Ruthless by John Rector

Ruthless

by John Rector

Ruthless by John Rector is a highly recommended crime novel that pulls off the feeling of a vintage noir novel in a contemporary setting.

Nick White is down on his luck man who is separated from his wife and drinks too much. While having a drink at his favorite bar a blond woman he does not know mistakes him for someone she is supposed to meet. Nick flirtatiously plays along for fun and she ends up giving him a manila envelope meant for the other man. The envelope contains $20,000, a flashdrive, and the picture of the young woman she wants gone. Nick tries to contact the police, but when circumstances result in the hired killer who was supposed to get the envelope spotting Nick and getting his address, he flees.

Nick eventually, with help from his ex-cop father, figures out the young woman in the picture is Abigail Pierce, and the woman who hired him is Patricia Holloway. They both have a connection to Daniel Holloway, and Nick thinks he knows why Patricia wants Abigail killed. Instead of leaving and hiding out for a while as his father suggested, Nick decides to warn Abigail and soon they are both clearly in danger from a trio of ruthless killers.

Ruthless is a fast paced thriller where the action moves quickly along (except for the variety of occasions where Nick takes a lot of time to drink) so there is a real sense of urgency. Nick is basically a likeable protagonist who is trying to do the right thing and save Abigail, even though he doesn't quite know the best way to proceed and is clearly not a match for the men threatening them. The hired killers are creepy-old-school and very sinister and threatening which keeps the tension high. Rector throws in a nice plot twist that raises the narrative above a routine scenario.

Disclosure: My Kindle edition was courtesy of the publisher and TLC for review purposes. ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Mar 21, 2016 |
I received a free kindle copy of Ruthless by John Rector, published by Thomas & Mercer from NetGalley in exchange for a fair review.

I had not read John Rector's work before & am glad I discovered it. This five star suspense-thriller-mystery was what I call a 'one-shot read'. Cover to cover disappeared overnight as I couldn't wait to find out what happened next.

It was intriguing. While a little seemed futuristic, it was well in the realm of believability. I will search for more of his books now that I've read such a good one.

I highly recommend this if you like suspense.

Link to purchase: http://www.amazon.com/Ruthless-John-Rector-ebook/dp/B00PJ9M852 ( )
  Carolyn.Injoy-Life | Jun 25, 2015 |
In the noir style of the 50s, this is a classic case of the wrong guy getting woven tightly into a cat and mouse conspiracy. In this current day story, everyone's lying and the main character, Nick White, doesn't know which threads of truth are worth believing and holding onto. Nick is basically a good guy and certainly has troubles of his own. Yet, he feels compelled to seek out and aid a young woman, whom he feels is in grave danger.
Rector's story, though a quick read, spent the bulk of it building up slowly to a fast-paced, don't put it down, gotta' see how it ends, final 50 pages. The premise is intriguing and somewhat plausible, given all of today's scientific advances in genetics. The writing style is accessible and has broad appeal. This was definitely a book worth reading and I look forward to checking out John Rector's other books.
I am grateful to Goodreads' First Reads, author John Rector and publisher Thomas and Mercer for having provided a free copy of this book. Their generosity did not, however, influence this review - the words of which are mine alone.

Synopsis (from back cover):
Nick White is the only person who can save Abigail Pierce. After uncovering a plot to have her killed, he attempts to warn her but instead puts himself squarely in the crosshairs. They know who he is, they know where he lives, they know how to get at his family.

Drawn into the conspiracy surrounding Abigail, Nick soon discovers the danger is bigger than he ever believed. Now he must uncover the truth to save her and himself. Gripping and intense, this novel is a twisted thrill ride from bestselling author John Rector. ( )
  KateBaxter | Jun 20, 2015 |
One of those wrong time and place books. Never a dull moment as our hero goes from one dilemma to the next. It was thoroughly enjoyable - then we get to the last page. What a let down! ( )
  boudicca123 | Jun 11, 2015 |
Nick White is down on his luck, he's broke and his wife, Kara, has just left him. On a rainy day he tries to drink himself happy at his favourite bar. Enter a sexy blonde, dressed in black. The woman mistakes him for a hitman, she was supposed to meet and before he knows it, he has been handed an envelope with 20k and a photo of his target, Abigail Pierce.
After the initial shock, he tries to clarify the situation, but it's too late, before he can think straight, the blonde woman has left the bar.
When the blonde's "real date" turns up, the barkeeper makes a mistake and now the killer knows Nick's address and he will stop at nothing to get the money back.
Basically from one second to the next, Nick finds himself on the run. As it's too dangerous for him to go back to his apartment, his next stop is his father, who luckily is an ex-cop and still has a few connections, which might come in handy.
Given the choice to either run and hide in Mexico or try and contact the victim, he doesn't listen to his dad ("You met a bonde in a bar? Any story that starts like that isn't going to end well.") and he tries to get in touch with Abigail.

The plot kept me nicely hooked and I found myself turning the pages and enjoyed the twists and turns the story takes, when Nick tries to get to the bottom of it all. Something about Abigail didn't feel quite right to me, but what the author had in store, I didn't see coming. I could live with most of it and the one thing which made me cringe a bit, I can easily forgive, because otherwise I loved the suspense and thrill of the book. Luckily John Rector doesn't bore with overlong descriptions, his writing is straight to the point, which makes Ruthless a gripping and fast paced read. ( )
  MasterReadersBooks | May 2, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,017,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible