The October Faction, Volume 1 by Steve Niles

The October Faction, Volume 1

by Steve Niles, Damien Worm (Illustrator)

The October Faction is a graphic novel about the adventures of the retired monsters hunter Frederick Allan and his family.

Initially was I a bit put off by the art in this volume, I thought it was too dark, too gritty, too weird looking, not at all that kind of art that I like when it comes to graphic novel, but in a strangely weird way I came to really like the art as the story progressed, it just suited the story perfectly.

It's a dark story so the art short be dark and a bit weird. And, what a story, a monster hunting family man with a dark past and two quite odd children that very much want to be monster hunters also and we also have robot faced Dante out to kill the man who killed his "father" and an old friend of the family who happens to be a werewolf.

In the end I just devoured the 120 page long graphic novel and now I want more!

I received this copy from the publisher through Netgalley in return for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
I received this from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Not sure what I expected from this one, as I hadn't heard of this title before. But I'm familiar with Steve Niles' work on 30 Days of Night, and knew it should probably be pretty good.

It was VERY good! The story follows retired monster hunter (now teacher) Frederick Allen who's being forced back into this job because of a threat on his (very strange) family. This volume collects the first six issues, and basically sets up the story with little snippets of background so the reader isn't completely lost.

The artwork is outstanding, and sufficiently dark and creepy, perfect for this type of story. I'll definitely be hunting down the next volume! ( )
  ssimon2000 | May 31, 2016 |
3.5 Stars

Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I'm still trying to broaden my reading sphere by trying all kinds of different graphic novel series. This was one of them.

I'd seen some good reviews and was curious to find out more myself. And I'm glad I did. It was an interesting first instalment. Obviously the story about a family of monster hunters who're being hunted themselves as well is only starting in this first volume, so I can't tell how that's going to develop, but the characters so far seem very interesting.

The art is very dark, but it fits the story well. Would recommend and I'm looking forward to the next volume.

Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
This collection deals with monster hunters and monsters. A former monster hunter tries to keep his family out of the “family business” but his past comes back to haunt him – and to kill him.

You also get werewolves and resurrected bodies in this story so horror fans should be pleased.

The artwork is unclear, dark and oppressive and quite difficult to read in the digital edition on a computer.

Quite engaging eventually but not really my taste.
  PaulAllard | Dec 9, 2015 |
I love Steve Niles and this was completely awesome! I read it in one go, I just could not put it down! This is one weird family but very likeable sort of like the Addams Family but a much more hardcore group of people. The art is equally impressive, being dark and raw, totally atmospheric. I absolutely cannot wait to continue with this story. Outstanding! ( )
  ElizaJane | Jul 4, 2015 |

Niles, SteveAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Worm, DamienIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 163140251X, Paperback)

The October Faction details the adventures of retired monster-hunter Frederick Allan and his family... which include a thrill-killer, a witch, and a warlock. Because sometimes crazy is the glue that binds a family together. Collects the first six issues.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jul 2015 23:34:26 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,901,672 books! | Top bar: Always visible