Even Vampires Get the Blues: A Deadly Angels…

Even Vampires Get the Blues: A Deadly Angels Book

by Sandra Hill

A fun addition to the series. It opens with Harek in his own time of 850 AD. One of seven Viking brothers, Harek is the merchant of the family, whose greatest pleasure is accumulating wealth in any way that he can. It doesn't matter how much he has, it is never enough. He has just dipped his toes in the business of buying and selling people when he gets a visit from Archangel Michael who lets him know that he's finally crossed the line. All is not lost when he is given the option of repenting and going to work for Michael as a Viking vampire angel, or vangel.

I liked Harek. He's super-smart, confident, with a bit of rebel that remains a part of him. He has adapted pretty well to modern day and is quite the wiz with computers. He still likes the better things in life, which regularly gets him into trouble with Michael, and banished to Siberia while he contemplates his mistakes. He is called out of his banishment when his talents are needed in a joint mission to stop terrorists and Lucipires (Satan's vampires) from kidnapping young girls into slavery. He is sent to work with a joint force, including a female SEAL named Camille.

Camille is a young woman from a prominent New Orleans family. She has chosen to take a different path than her parents and brother, who are highly regarded academics, instead devoting her life to her military career. She has made her place in the teams with her ability to go undercover. She's tough and scrappy on the outside but has a well-hidden center that would like to be loved.

The initial meeting between Harek and Camille doesn't go particularly well. He thinks she's unattractive and pushy, she thinks he's vain and over-moussed. But there is also an unexpected and unwanted zing of attraction that hits them both as soon as they shake hands. It's the kind of zing that tells Harek that Camille is his life-mate, something that completely freaks him out. It also messes with his mind, and he finds himself offering to go with her to her brother's wedding in New Orleans. It was great fun to see the two of them trying so hard to resist each other and failing miserably. The chemistry between them was explosive when they finally gave in to it. It's not an easy relationship, as Camille has a couple issues that could bring everything to a screeching halt. First, she has some trust issues thanks to a cheating ex-fiancé. Second, because of her heritage, she has some very strong opinions on slavery. Harek knows that if she finds out about his past it could mean trouble.

I really enjoyed the development of their relationship. Once they got past the first impressions stage, their chemistry took over. It was fun to see the push and pull as they got to know each other. I laughed out loud when Camille changed her clothes before they got to the rehearsal dinner and totally blew Harak's mind. Harek could be very charming when he wanted to be and he used that charm to get closer to Camille. When his past comes back to bite him, it takes all the charm and determination he can muster to get past her fury. Harek is still reluctant to fully commit to his feelings and it takes some forced contemplation and some unexpected interference from Michael for him to see the light.

The mission that brought the vangels and the SEALs together was taken right out of the headlines. Their job was to stop a band of terrorists from kidnapping a school full of young girls. These terrorists are aided and abetted by lucipires, which is what brings the vangels into the mission. Things get really intense when Camille goes undercover as one of the schoolgirls. The rescue scene had me on the edge of my seat as Harek went charging off to save Camille. I loved the battle scenes, both between the vangels and the lucipires and then the SEALs and the terrorists. I liked that they didn't have a fairytale ending, in that there were injuries and not a 100% success rate. In spite of the fantasy aspect of the book, it lent a note of realism.

I also enjoyed seeing characters from other books, not just the Deadly Angels series, but also the Viking series and Cajun series. Even Tante Lulu made an appearance and a prediction. I love the way that the seven brothers tease each other but are also there when one of them needs the support. I also enjoy the relationships with Michael. Though he frequently displays disappointment in them, I get the feeling that he really has quite a soft spot for them. I also suspect that he has had a hand in the finding of their mates. One of the most fascinating of the secondary characters is Zeb, the lucipire double agent. I am really looking forward to his story. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Aug 3, 2017 |
I don't know how I got behind on one of my favorite authors...but I did. My only excuse is that I have a ton of books to read and I'm only one person.

But as you can see I'm trying my best to catch up!

If you haven't yet read any of the Deadly Angel series you don't know what you're missing. Sandra Hill has the ability to mix tons of humor with a complex story. She gives you great characters that make you want to come back time after time.

Up this time is Harek who suffers from "greed" he wants everything! On his way to a vast fortune he did some crappy things. To pay for his sins he becomes a vampire-angel.

Cool, right!!!! The vampire-angel part, not the sins.

What a great twist to a tired genre. I'm not saying that all vampire romances are a thing of the past because I still enjoy some great series, I just feel its something very played out. For me that is. Because I'm a little tired of it I love the idea of the vampire-angels.

But since Harek sins are many, it will take someone special to deal with him, (he's only reformed so much) and I think he found the perfect person in Camille. She's tough and takes no shit from anyone, but she's also soft enough to want love. Okay, maybe she wasn't sure about that in the beginning but Harek grew on her.

I think you'll love their story. Hill packs so much into Even Vampires Get The Blues. I will tell you that it would be better for you to start at the beginning of this series and work you way to this book. I think you'll like them much better that way.

Reviewed for Romancing the Readers Blog:
http://romancingthereaders.blogspot.com/2016/04/book-club-thursday-catching-up-o... ( )
  AnnLorz | Apr 21, 2016 |
*Received this book for the purpose of an honest review.*
Review will be cross-posted to MyBookAddictionandMore.com

EVEN VAMPIRES GET THE BLUES is book 6 in Sandra Hill's Deadly Angels series, however it works as a stand alone read. Yes there are connecting characters and an ongoing story-line, but with that said it still feels like a complete story. I loved all the characters from the main to the secondary but will say that Harek is something special. Camo as she's know by her SEALs and Weals teammates is the perfect heroine for Harek. The story is fast-paced and engaging with enough steam to keep things interesting. Fans of Sandra Hill know there are sure to be some funny moments, hey eve Tante Lula makes an appearance. This is one of those stories that completely takes you out of reality and allows you to enjoy some fun and relaxation as you lose yourself in another world while two people fall in love. Yes they are battling themselves and the enemy but there's still time for romance, there is ALWAYS time for romance....If you are new to Sandra Hill, yes you come into this series with this read and still follow along, you'll be eager to grab the previous titles, and look forward to the upcoming releases. I highly recommend EVEN VAMPIRES GET THE BLUES for all readers who enjoy a great plot, outstanding characters, steam, and some fun! You'll be so delighted to have found Sandra Hill! ( )
  WendyK | Aug 25, 2015 |
Summary

Harek Sigurdsson, is a Vangel, and due to certain acts that were against the rules for being a Vangel, he is to work on an online website to help promote goodness and faith in a very chilly location in Siberia. Not his first choice, but then Michael, the Archangel doesn’t really give him a choice when it comes to punishment. Then unexpectedly he is summoned and instructed to help with a mission to help save some young innocent girls from nasty terrorists and in league with them are evil Lucipires. Harek doesn’t mind killing these evil beings at all. So he joins up with the strike team, and he meets a WEAL, a young woman that is nicknamed “Camo”. At first he smells a garden of roses whenever he gets near her, but she doesn’t seem his type at all. But when he is warned she may be his “mate”, he refuses to let her in. Until he volunteers to go to her brothers wedding with her. Harek has no idea why he would choose to go to a wedding with her…he despises weddings. But he can’t back out now, and he soon sees the real woman beneath all the camouflage. Camille is devoted to the military and serving in the WEAL’s, and she is very good at what she does. She will do anything to save young girls from torture and rape, even if its to work with a man that smells like the most decadent chocolate, talks strange but is sexy as sin…not that she would ever let him know that. Soon these two will have fight to survive and also believe in their mating and letting go of the past so they can have a future together.

The Hero

Harek is a Viking…was born and raised and loved his life. He loved the drinking and the women and had an obsession with money and gold, and had a “Midas” touch when it came to achieving and accumulating wealth, even had slaves. Then Michael came to him, with a deal, and he was forced to become a Vangel. He has spent hundreds of years, doing good, slaying evil and protecting innocents but breaking plenty of “godly” rules in the process. He never can seem to get on Mike’s good side. Harek is amusing and sexy and quite redeemable. He loves his gadgets and computers, is quite obsessed with them. What was most fun about his character, was his bluntness and he is true to himself. Doesn’t hide who he is, and I loved that about Harek. Even though he tends to break so many rules all the time, he also admits when he is wrong and takes his punishment.

The Heroine

Camille grew up with a family that was wealthy but a bit dysfunctional. Both of her parents have successful careers, but not the healthiest of a marriage. Her father has a whole mistress along with the family he already has. Her parents may have once cared for each other, but now they merely tolerate each other. She is close to her brother, who is a rocket scientist. Unlike her family, she wanted to serve in the military and became A WEAL…which was pretty difficult and challenging. I loved Camille as the heroine because she is the best for Harek, she tends to make him think and balance him out a bit. Camille is dedicated and loyal, and has a weakness for anything chocolate. She is quite spirited and is quite the match for our hero in every way.

Plot and Story Line

So Even Vampires Get The Blues is the sixth addition to this wild and hilarious series. Now for those of you who have never had the chance to read Sandra Hill…she is different. So different from any other author. I don’t even know if I can explain it, even though I have been reading for years. Many books that she has written, just like this most latest release, may seem a bit serious but in all honesty–its not. It has a basic serious plot. We have some nasty terrorists dealing sexual slavery of young girls, then we mix in our Vangels, SEAL’s and WEAL’s….and even some other agents from the FBI, you don’t have your typical paranormal type romance.

This book we see characters from Sandra Hill’s other series. Which was fun, but honestly I realize I do need to get on her Cajun series since those are the only books from this author I have yet to read. But what this series is about a group of men, brothers who were born in the Viking times, and each committed one of the “deadly sins” and so the archangel Michael, offered them a choice and they all made the choice to work on redeeming themselves. They are Vikings, who are angels and vampires. Its a unique mix that is for sure. Now I will say that the writing is something you have to get used to. I would recommend to new readers to give the whole book a shot because when I first started reading Hill it took time for me to adjust to her writing style, since its so wildly different from any other author. Its one of the main reasons I keep reading her. Even though it doesn’t engage me fully 100%…she always offers a wild and sensational story. In this book we have the Geeky Vangel, he is the one that loves his computers and his unique gadgets. But he is tough, a fighter, battles evil and protects innocents and loves sex (even though that is against the rules….but he and his brothers do it anyway) He is very rebellious, in fact, he tends to get sent to Siberia way too often for his rebellious nature.

What I found most endearing about this story was that both characters don’t really like each other too much at first. Its not a full angst romance, but it could come close. However unlike those, they can’t resist spending time together, even volunteering without meaning to. And it’s partly due to the fact that they are mates. I quite loved the way they deny it, and its not until the get some alone time with each other that they start to accept what they have together. There are some stumbling blocks along the way, but we see how much they care for one another and really have a strong bond. Quite interesting seeing how this story turned out, and even though its not my favorite book of the series, quite entertaining and humorous.

The Cover

HOT!! That is all I have to say because I just love it. All the covers in this series are pretty dang sexy. But what I love about this cover, is the half shirt open, with the muscled abs, and the dark background….adds an edge to it.

Overall View

Even Vampires Get The Blue is a story to give you barrels of laughs put you at the edge of your seat with tense action and plenty of steamy scenes to keep you interested. ( )
  addictofromance | Aug 15, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062356526, Mass Market Paperback)

New York Times bestselling author Sandra Hill delivers a sizzling new entry in her Deadly Angels series, as a Viking vangel's otherworldly mission teams him with a Navy SEAL who's more than his match— she's his predestined mate . . .

The fact that vampire angel Harek Sigurdsson was a Norseman in his mortal life doesn't make thawing out after exile in Siberia any easier. But things heat up when his search for evil Lucipires connects him with Camille Dumaine, a human who thrums with sensual energy that can mean only one thing: she's the mate Harek's been seeking for centuries . . .

The SEALs call her "Camo" for her ability to blend into a crowd—yet Harek's intense blue gaze singles Camille out like a white-hot spotlight. The security wiz was hired to help bring down a ruthless band of international kidnappers, but Camille senses an unspoken agenda—besides Harek's bold declaration that she's his "destiny." Just Camille's luck that the sexiest man she's ever met may also be . . . a vampire!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 20 Jul 2015 16:45:02 -0400)

The fact that vampire angel Harek Sigurdsson was a Norseman in his mortal life doesn't make thawing out after exile in Siberia any easier. But things heat up when his search for evil Lucipires connects him with Camille Dumaine, a human who thrums with sensual energy that can mean only one thing: she's the mate Harek's been seeking for centuries.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,362,564 books! | Top bar: Always visible