Brokenomics: 50 Ways to Live the Dream on a…

Brokenomics: 50 Ways to Live the Dream on a Dime

by Dina Gachman

621,268,033 (3)None

No tags.

Hilarious to read, and written more tongue-in-cheek, than a step-by-step guide to living the dream on a dime.

This book made me laugh a few times, and in between there are some decent, solid tips on how to safe money, but it's not really a guide to live your life by. It's well worth the read, and besides the entertainment value, there are good ideas. ( )
  katsmiao | Oct 23, 2015 |
I feel a reluctance to write negative reviews. It's because I recognize that readers have different tastes and one person's views can , and oftentimes are, on opposite sides with other reviewers. Just a read of many book reviews is proof of that. Who am I to judge?
Couple that with the fact that writing a book is tough work and earning a profit is tougher still. So when an author takes the time and makes the BIG effort that is required, I am pleased that I get the opportunity to explore the views of another
I chose this book because I liked the message conveyed by the title, and the promise that there would be 50 ways to live a dream life as a frugal person. That was the hook that got me to read. But by the time I was half way thru the book, I was so disappointed that the promised solutions were not being delivered. The book seemed to focus on the author's life challenges and the lessons she learned, many of which were really specific to her, not a general audience. I didn't feel that lectures on lotto tickets, haggling, auto repairs,haircuts and the like fit the overall scheme of the book's theme, frugal living.
The book was divided into 8 sections and 50 chapters. I nearly abandoned the read at the half way point. Thought about it anyway. And my disappointment grew.
Then I got to to Part 8 called "Love and Relationships". It had 5 chapters. While I can't say that 5 new challenges were presented and then solved, I can say that the author suddenly shifted her tone and her writing skills were outstanding. She covered the love and relationships arena with skill and sensitivity and I thought some excellent insights. If only the rest of the book were the same!
I was so impressed by her writings in Part 8 that I feel happy that I hung in there. Had that been the entire book, I would have given it 5 stars. But instead, I had to suffer thru 45 chapters before the good stuff appeared.
My message to the author: based on Part 8, I think you got the right stuff. I hope you can figure out how to stay on that track in future writings. ( )
  Journey21 | Aug 20, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,090,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible