Catching Cassidy (Harborside Nights, Book…

Catching Cassidy (Harborside Nights, Book One) New Adult Romance (Volume…

by Melissa Foster

"2.5 out of 5 stars. This novel forces two best friends to grow up very quickly and in the process of doing so they both come to terms with their true feelings for one another.

This is a heart wrenching romance novel. It’s set around Wyatt’s parents tragically dying and leaving him (along with his twin sister) to pick up the pieces of the new life path that is created from the aftermath. It reeled me in..."

Read more of this review and TWO TEASERS here: http://frommetoyouvideophoto.blogspot.com/2016/02/disappointmentville-harborside... ( )
  fromjesstoyou | Mar 21, 2016 |
not so good. not reading rest of series
  helynavery | Jan 27, 2016 |
I have to say there wasn't one thing about this book I didn't like. The story is fantastic, nice pace, well written, and the characters are so beautifully described you feel you are one of the gang of friends. I'm really excited about the new NA series from Melissa Foster and I can't wait to get my hands on more!

This book is the first in the series and is about the relationship between Wyatt and Cassidy. The best of friends but both has suppressed feeling for the other not wanting to jeopardize their relationship. After graduating college and facing major life changing situations, they soon realize that suppressing them doesn't make feelings go away and now is the time for tough decisions.

This is a great read and one I highly recommend to everyone! ( )
  Bette_Hansen | Nov 3, 2015 |

Wyatt's always been one to live in the moment, spending time with his friends and his sister, navigating a string of casual hook-ups, and never really thinking about the future. But when his parents are killed, the future he'd always taken for granted is suddenly unclear, and he's got some growing up to do if he's ever going to figure things out.

Cassidy can't deny her attraction to Wyatt, but he's her best friend, and he's never had any interest in a girl for longer than a night or two. He's a great guy to have on her side, but he's not right for a relationship. But when her boyfriend is caught cheating on her, Wyatt is the first one to come to her defense, and when he needs her friendship just as much as she needs his, she doesn't hesitate to try and be there for him. Even when the lines between them begin to get a little blurred.

Judging Covers: Isn't it gorgeous? Stock images are just that — stock images. But this design by far beats the few other covers I've seen this couple on. Something about that color and texture overlaying the bottom contrasts perfectly to highlight that sunburst. I probably would have gone with something lighter, pastel maybe, and as this cover shows, that would have been a big mistake. Someone's certainly got a good eye…

The Verdict: Best friends New Adult one of my all-time favorite authors? It's like this one was written just for me!

Cassidy, Wyatt, and Wyatt's twin sister Delilah have just graduated from college and are celebrating when everything comes crashing down. They stumble across Cassidy's long-time boyfriend cheating on her, something that's apparently been going on for quite some time, and Wyatt lets his fists fly. But Cassidy's relationship troubles are nothing compared to what Wyatt and Delilah are about to go through.

When their parents are suddenly killed in a car accident, Wyatt and Delilah are crushed. Trying to deal with the loss and everything that comes with it, they decide to spend the summer in Harborside, a small town where their parents had a vacation home and a bar & grill. Cassidy joins them, both to support her friends and because there's not much left for her at home anyway.

Wyatt's immaturity stands out almost like another character in the book, and throughout the story we see him giving into it, facing it head-on, and finally overcoming it. He and Delilah are both dealing with so much more than anyone their age should, and at a time in their lives when they thought the future was theirs to shape. Instead they're dealing with post-college life, the loss of their family, the inheritance of a business they know nothing about, a close family friend who's starting to come off as a bit sketchy, and Cassidy, who had planned on moving to New York once summer was up.

Obviously there's a heavy load of angst in the story, but it's tempered well with hope, selfless friends, and the romantic potential between Wyatt and Cassidy. But most refreshing is the realism with which the characters are portrayed. They act their ages, which often means they're reacting to things emotionally, immaturely, and without any semblance of reason. But they all truly care about each other, so even when things get awful, they never turn their backs on each other. And of course, there's Delilah. To be honest, I sort of expected her to find a relationship somewhere in this story, a secondary plot in which we wouldn't get much insight but would be told about, and I set myself up for that disappointment early on. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I found out that Delilah's story will be told in the next book!

It's no secret that I love Melissa Foster's books. They're all classic romance plots, complete with everything that keeps us going back to the genre, and yet her characters are just different enough, each with unique stories, that not only is each book different from the rest of the series, but they're a fresh change from just about everything else in the romance category. Throwing some New Adult and LGBT into the mix is just the icing on the awesome cake.

***FicCentral received this book from Tasty Book Tours for free in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  ysar | Jul 8, 2015 |
After reading so many great reviews of Catching Cassidy I couldn't resist the urge to read it myself and I am so glad I did or I would have missed out on such a moving and totally enjoyable story.

The main characters, Wyatt, his sister Delilah and their best friend Cassidy, have all known each other since childhood, now left college they are ready for the next step in their lives and careers. They have such a warmth and beautiful bond of friendship between them that it's so easy to fall in love with them.

Sadly instead of enjoying this time, Wyatt and Delilah's parents suddenly die in a car crash leaving the devastated brother and sister to pick up the pieces and take the reigns of their parents bar in Harborside, with no experience and the overwhelming grief to live with. Just before this happens Cassidy escapes the cheating arms of her boyfriend with the help of her two best friends and they had decided to spend the summer together, although now with heavy hearts in Harborisde.

As we arrive in beautiful setting of Harborisde with the trio of friends, you immediately feel the trendy, caring, laid back vibe of this close knit beach community and are introduced to their amazing friends. It was great to be in their company as they rally round to help Wyatt and Cassidy.

I was particularly drawn to Wyatt's character, although I loved Cassidy, what Wyatt was going through and how he felt he had to carry all the burden on his shoulders, while putting his own needs and grief under the carpet, was extremely touching. His grief made me want to reach out to him and tell him everything would be alright. The author, I feel, did an amazing job of incorporating the sensitive stages of grief within the story and all the emotions felt, it certainly sparked reminders of my own past loss while reading it.

Such a loss can shake your world and for partying Wyatt, it becomes clear what is important to him and what really matters in life. Realizing after all these years of caring and protecting Cassidy the reason is he simply loves her more than anything else in the world. Cassidy secretly has the same feelings for Wyatt but the with heavy hearts and vulnerability these childhood friends struggle to come to terms with how they now feel, not wanting to act on these feelings or let each other know and ruin their special bond of friendship by the unknown of a relationship. For others the undeniable love and passion between them is obvious, it's just a matter of time. At one point I almost had to have a word in Wyatt's ear myself but his actions stopped me.

I was literally turning the pages almost faster than I could read them, as the explosion of true passion and feelings took over. You will feel a rollercoaster of emotions as you feel that your right there, in the moment of this emotional and passionate romance. A wonderful end to a wonderful story and as I was teased to a glimpse of Book 2, Discovering Delilah, I am now craving more. ( )
  beckvalleybooks | Jun 23, 2015 |

Melissa Foster is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Author Chat

Melissa Foster chatted with LibraryThing members from Oct 1, 2009 to Oct 15, 2009. Read the chat.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,123,822 books! | Top bar: Always visible