Spark by Wren Verlaine

Spark

by Wren Verlaine, Casey Renee Kiser (Author), Wren Verlaine (Author)

1914537,190 (3)2

I tend to like darker poetry about the way that life sucks to everyone but this just didn't come off to me as poetry. I didn't like it. ( )
  anemoneee | Jun 18, 2017 |
There are some great and clever lines here, but I'm afraid the fact is that this appears to have been self-published for a reason. Most of the poems are very simple, and angsty in a way that suggests they're more emotion and sound than meaning or depth. Abstract feelings are constant, and concrete images are pretty rare. They remind me of the poems I wrote when I first started writing poetry, before I'd read a lot of contemporary poetry or worked with any other writers to improve my craft, and while this sounds pretty harsh, it's a simple fact that most readers who love poetry aren't going to find much here to enjoy or remember. At their best, there are short sections that remind me of Nine Inch Nails and that sort of language, and maybe some of the images and poems here would be better if played with and set to music, short as they are.

As is, though, I'm afraid I can't recommend them, much as I adore reading poetry and passing it on. ( )
  whitewavedarling | May 24, 2017 |
I received a print copy of this book from the author through the giveaway she recently had on LibraryThing and the following is my honest opinion.

In this outing, the authors, Casey Renee Kiser, has once again shown her readers what happens when you mix strong forces in the genre of underground poetry; forces which are daring and those that are mysterious. The resulting effect is that this book contains an undeniable deluge of sentiments which are unpleasantly truthful. Helping Casey out in this endeavor is Wren Verlaine, who has done a wonderful job in trying to match Casey’s unique style.

This uniquely original compilation of hard-nosed poetry might linger around in mind well after reading like it has for me; a haunting reminder which has enticed me to give it 5 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Apr 7, 2017 |
This is my 2nd book by Casey an I love it! The words flow beautifully and poetically! Strong language warning so not for kiddos, but defn well written. There is so much depth that you will be pulled in to every word. I haven't seen any of Wrens work till now but i thoroughly enjoyed it! The artwork come together as you read the works attached to them. Wonderful read 3.5 stars from me! ( )
  lwol88 | Jan 2, 2017 |
I love the darkness in each poem, I must say. However, I didn't connect with the majority of the poems in this book. There were a few that I really liked and even a couple I would recommend to one of my friends.

The poetry was written in free verse, which is my favorite, so that was something that made the poems a little more understandable to me.

Overall, I feel like this book has a great amount of darkness. It's just not my favorite. But, that's not to say that it's not someone else's cup of tea! So read on and develop your own thoughts! ( )
  BookAddict3000 | Dec 28, 2016 |

Wren Verlaineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kiser, Casey ReneeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Verlaine, WrenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

SPARK is the love child of two bold and enigmatic forces in underground poetry. Love, revenge, madness and parking a car have never been so dark, twisted and fun! This book is a flood of honest emotions that is sure to spark something in everyone. A quirky and uncompromising collection that will no doubt haunt you.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 19:21:54 -0400)

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Wren Verlaine's book Spark was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,153,255 books! | Top bar: Always visible