Spark by Wren Verlaine

Spark

by Wren Verlaine, Casey Renee Kiser (Author), Wren Verlaine (Author)

This is my 2nd book by Casey an I love it! The words flow beautifully and poetically! Strong language warning so not for kiddos, but defn well written. There is so much depth that you will be pulled in to every word. I haven't seen any of Wrens work till now but i thoroughly enjoyed it! The artwork come together as you read the works attached to them. Wonderful read 3.5 stars from me! ( )
  lwol88 | Jan 2, 2017 |
I love the darkness in each poem, I must say. However, I didn't connect with the majority of the poems in this book. There were a few that I really liked and even a couple I would recommend to one of my friends.

The poetry was written in free verse, which is my favorite, so that was something that made the poems a little more understandable to me.

Overall, I feel like this book has a great amount of darkness. It's just not my favorite. But, that's not to say that it's not someone else's cup of tea! So read on and develop your own thoughts! ( )
  BookAddict3000 | Dec 28, 2016 |
A nice book of poetry, which incorporates it's pieces of art poorly, though the art itself is very well done. ( )
  celticsouthern | Dec 10, 2016 |
Spark contains poetry from two poets, Casey Renee Kiser and Wren Verlaine. I have grappled with how to approach a review of this book because the halves, one by each poet, are quite different. My opinions and feelings about each are also very different. I also believe that poetry is, or at least can be, a very personal thing for both the writer and the reader, so I am hesitant to be very negative. But a review requires honesty so I will try my best.

The first part is Verlaine's poetry. There were a number of interesting passages but nothing that really struck me as much more than rudimentary attempts at expressing emotions (I think that is what they were supposed to be) through what he perceives as an edgy and dark lens. I thought the lens was more like something a half step beyond juvenile. Words and phrases that should jolt a reader and drive home a feeling or idea seemed forced and mostly to strike a pose, so to speak. That pose, for me, did not work.

The latter part of the book is Kiser's poetry. I found her work to succeed in the very areas where Verlaine's came up short. The interesting passages were parts of interesting poems. The poems generally made me want to empathize, made me want to create "the rest of the story"that would surround the poem as I understood it. There were a few misses, not necessarily within the work but in the dynamic between it and the reader (in this case, me), but nothing that made me wonder whether she should be writing poetry.

I opted for a middle of the road rating because I couldn't give the first half anything higher, and if rated as two collections the first would have had 2 stars and the second half would have had 4 stars. I would recommend this to anyone who likes to read poetry that can be dark at times and touches on pain and the various forms pain can take in relationships and interpersonal interactions. No doubt some readers will find more that appeals to them in Verlaine's work than I did.

Reviewed from a copy made available via LibraryThing. ( )
1 vote pomo58 | Jun 9, 2016 |
Most of the poetry was enjoyable and a bit of a different read for me ( )
  Potatoangel | Dec 30, 2015 |

added by BookAddict3000 | editGoodreads

Wren Verlaineprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kiser, Casey ReneeAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Verlaine, WrenAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

SPARK is the love child of two bold and enigmatic forces in underground poetry. Love, revenge, madness and parking a car have never been so dark, twisted and fun! This book is a flood of honest emotions that is sure to spark something in everyone. A quirky and uncompromising collection that will no doubt haunt you.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 19:21:54 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,207,206 books! | Top bar: Always visible