Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back So You…

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back So You Want to Be a Jedi? (2015)

by Adam Gidwitz

Series: Star Wars for the younger fans (2)

This was a fairly accurate retelling. The only thing I have to note, after looking at the other reviews is that this is definitely written for children. Probably low middle grade, and not knowing the author's style going in is probably going to throw some people off. I was familiar with Mr. Gidwitz's style, I've read the first book in his MG series, so I wasn't too surprised. That's the big thing to keep in mind. It is second person, so that makes a little different. ( )
  Adilinaria | Apr 23, 2017 |
Oh, dear.

The author begins by stating that Luke Skywalker has zero personality (what?) and precedes to tell the story in SECOND person POV (what????)

Annoyingly, the author seems to assume that the reader is a boy and that this boy A) knows nothing about Star Wars and B) wants to read a self-insert choose-your-own adventure style book without the choices.

To make matters worse, not only is the book written in second person POV it is some of the most annoying second person POV I’ve ever read - constantly interrupting the flow of the narrative to explain the Star Wars universe to a reader the author clearly expects to have zero knowledge of it. (what?????) Why would a kid with ZERO knowledge of Star Wars pick up this book? Why does the author think they would keep reading something so annoying, that talks down to them like they should know this stuff but at the same time clearly doesn't expect them to? And really this "you're" in the story trick is cheap and went out of style in the 80s. Soooo . . . Why????

It’s really too bad. I felt the first book in this series could be a fun read for both adults and/or children, but this second book is strictly aimed at a very young reader and seemingly one with no (or very limited) knowledge of Star Wars. I’m not sure why anyone would choose to limit their target audience so severely. Really this book just leaves me shouting "What?" and "Why?”

I guess I’m done with this series. Oh well, the first one (by a different author) was enjoyable. A shame they didn’t get her to write all three. ( )
1 vote catfantastic | Feb 29, 2016 |
Thankfully short (4 discs) because the parts addressed to the reader are annoying. Otherwise, the re-telling of the story is adequate and the narrator is excellent. The concept of lessons interspersed in the story is interesting, just not well executed. ( )
  2wonderY | Dec 12, 2015 |
ABR's original Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back: So You Want to Be a Jedi? audiobook review and many others can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

After listening to the first book in this new audiobook series, Star Wars: A New Hope: The Princess, the Scoundrel, and the Farm Boy I had really high hopes for book two.

And my hopes and dreams for this audiobook were absolutely and undeniably smashed within about five minutes. I am not sure whose idea it was to change formats, one that was already set, even though it was quite high, mid-series.

Adam Gidwitz took the Empire Strikes Back, that I know and love and told it from a first person perspective. That on its own I am sure I could have gotten over. However, it was written as if a six or seven year old has no social skills, has never heard of Star Wars, and is training to be a Jedi, and needs to be convinced he is Luke Skywalker. Then there are the Jedi lesson in between each chapter. “Jedi have to breath too”, seriously?

If you are over the age of ten and love Star Wars. Do not waste your time and money with this abomination. I am not sure I have it in me to continue this series, obviously I have no idea what to expect.

Marc Thompson did what he could here. In fact I didn’t even realize it was him. He performed it as I am sure he was told and unfortunately it did not work at all. I think he was trying to sound like a seven year old or something. His performance just didn’t jive with me.

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR. ( )
1 vote audiobibliophile | Oct 22, 2015 |

Audiobook purchased for review by ABR. ( )
  audiobibliophile | Oct 22, 2015 |

Adam Gidwitzprimary authorall editionscalculated
Thompson, MarcNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To all my Ben Kenobis and all my Yodas.
Introduction:  So you want to be a Jedi?  I get that.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,056,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible