The Art of Crash Landing by Melissa DeCarlo

The Art of Crash Landing

by Melissa DeCarlo

Maddie, homeless and pregnant, returns to her moms hometown to claim an inheritance from her grandmother and uncovers secrets from the past. light, fluffy and funny! ( )
  dawnlovesbooks | Jun 8, 2016 |
Good book. Not everything was tired up neat and organized at the end. Liked the people. Unexpected events as well. ( )
  shazjhb | Feb 21, 2016 |
Mattie is a very spirited woman who makes emotional, impulsive decisions that often involve burning bridges to the point where she is faced with just a few dead end roads. One could say she's down-and-out. But at least she's proud of it.
After dead-ending in Florida she travels to small-town Oklahoma, as the sole heir to her grandmother's modest estate. But why is she really here? Will she sponge off her dead grandmother and live the high life as long as the money lasts? Will she accept the low-key attempts to help, coming from low-ambition townspeople, many of whom have their own agenda? Or will her on-the-sly research of her mother and grandmother, especially about gaps in her family history, show her more about her family, and herself?
It is great fun watching Mattie zing the people around her, and being zinged in return. Keep up your spirit Mattie! But the bigger issue is whether she will be able to break the pattern of her down-and-out ways. Will she gather her spirit and courage to do the hardest work of all, that of laying the ground for a better future?
I enjoyed reading the book. Mattie is by turns entertaining and exasperating. But in the end I am pulling for her, hoping she can remake herself and find her place in the world. ( )
  EJDude | Feb 6, 2016 |
I don’t know where to go with this book. I think I’m just too old for it. I’ve come across others like it, with similar types of plots and protagonists of the same ilk. I believe my problem lies in coming from a generation that doesn’t understand the mindset of the story teller.

In this tale Mattie Wallace just kind of meanders through life without any purpose at all. Her upbringing was less than ideal and her current state of affairs is about as bad as it can be; she’s unmarried, pregnant, homeless and broke. Instead of trying to deal with any one of her problems she does what she always does – she runs away. She runs into more problems and yet still instead of trying to help herself she decides that she needs to figure out her dead mother’s problems instead.

Mattie is impossible to like. It’s hard for me to stay involved and connected to a book with a main character so selfish and uncaring. She has maybe two moments in the book when she thinks of someone other than herself and it’s just hard to root for her. The only thing that kept me reading was the way Ms. DeCarlo spun her story. Her writing is worth reading but her protagonist needs to grow up. ( )
  BrokenTeepee | Oct 13, 2015 |
I loved this book. I loved Mattie, the narrator. She was snarky and clever, and imperfect. There were times while reading that I laughed out loud. The characters felt real, and great, and there was so much heart in the story. The characters were complicated and flawed, and I love that.

I also liked the little bit of mystery in the story. The mystery definitely wasn't the main focus, but it was interesting, and it took the story in an unexpected direction.

I really enjoyed this, and am so glad I picked it up! ( )
  klack128 | Oct 11, 2015 |

From a bright new talent comes this debut novel about a young woman who travels for the first time to her mother’s hometown, and gets sucked into the mystery that changed her family forever

Mattie Wallace has really screwed up this time. Broke and knocked up, she’s got all her worldly possessions crammed into six giant trash bags, and nowhere to go. Try as she might, Mattie can no longer deny that she really is turning into her mother, a broken alcoholic who never met a bad choice she didn’t make.

When Mattie gets news of a possible inheritance left by a grandmother she’s never met, she jumps at this one last chance to turn things around. Leaving the Florida Panhandle, she drives eight hundred miles to her mother’s birthplace—the tiny town of Gandy, Oklahoma. There, she soon learns that her mother remains a local mystery—a happy, talented teenager who inexplicably skipped town thirty-five years ago with nothing but the clothes on her back. But the girl they describe bears little resemblance to the damaged woman Mattie knew, and before long it becomes clear that something terrible happened to her mother, and it happened here. The harder Mattie digs for answers, the more obstacles she encounters. Giving up, however, isn’t an option. Uncovering what started her mother’s downward spiral might be the only way to stop her own.

Hilarious, gripping, and unexpectedly wise, The Art of Crash Landing is a poignant novel from an assured new voice.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 21 Aug 2015 18:21:47 -0400)

"From a bright new talent comes this debut novel about a young woman who travels for the first time to her mother's hometown, and gets sucked into the mystery that changed her family forever. Mattie Wallace has really screwed up this time. Broke and knocked up, she's got all her worldly possessions crammed into six giant trash bags, and nowhere to go. Try as she might, Mattie can no longer deny that she really is turning into her mother, a broken alcoholic who never met a bad choice she didn't make. When Mattie gets news of a possible inheritance left by a grandmother she's never met, she jumps at this one last chance to turn things around. Leaving the Florida Panhandle, she drives eight hundred miles to her mother's birthplace--the tiny town of Gandy, Oklahoma. There, she soon learns that her mother remains a local mystery--a happy, talented teenager who inexplicably skipped town thirty-five years ago with nothing but the clothes on her back. But the girl they describe bears little resemblance to the damaged woman Mattie knew, and before long it becomes clear that something terrible happened to her mother, and it happened here. The harder Mattie digs for answers, the more obstacles she encounters. Giving up, however, isn't an option. Uncovering what started her mother's downward spiral might be the only way to stop her own. Hilarious, gripping, and unexpectedly wise, The Art of Crash Landing is a poignant novel from an assured new voice"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,624,020 books! | Top bar: Always visible