A Sword for His Lady (Courtly Love) by Mary…

A Sword for His Lady (Courtly Love)

by Mary Wine

206515,329 (4.13)1

As most of you know by now, I’m a Regency buff, but once in a while I’m happy to leave that genre and sink my teeth into the medieval world. This is book one in Courtly Love series and it is one of the best medieval stories I’ve read.

Isabel of Camoys was married at a young age and the marriage was arranged and not a happy one.

She is facing some hard times after her husband’s death as his family is bent on taking her home away from her. On top of that, the King aims to wed her to a man of his choosing.

Isabel isn’t happy about it, and marriage to a stranger isn’t what she’s looking forward to, but she either obeys the King, or marry back into the family of her husband.

I liked the heroine’s spunk and strength. She was such a joy to get to know and follow around in her own element, her own time and place. I found her independents and intelligence for that period, fascinating!

Ramon de Segrave is one of those heroes we all dream about, a loyal knight who is surprised to find out that his King has decided to wed him rather than send him on his next crusade.

I liked the way Ramon went about convincing the woman King chose for him, that they’re a good match. But what I loved the best about this story is how perfectly the author captured the time in which this beautiful romance takes place.

If you’re a fan of medieval, make sure to read this one. It’s filled with fascinating details of a time long passed and its romance is truly swoon-worthy.

Melanie for b2b

Complimentary copy provided by the publisher ( )
  bookworm2bookworm | Mar 30, 2017 |
A medieval historical romance with a good storyline and the right amount of spice. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Nov 6, 2016 |
This is a nice new release from Mary Wine, set during the time of the Crusades and the reign of Richard the Lionheart. I was pleasantly surprised by this book b/c just last week I DNF'd another book set during the Crusades because it did not stay true to the time period. Mary Wine did a good job of making the 12th century come to life in the marshes of the English/Welsh border.

Baron Ramon de Segraves has been campaigning with Richard I for the past 10 years, but has received a royal "suggestion" that he will now stay behind to marry a widow and secure the Welsh border. Ramon, who had a bad experience with his first marriage, is not eager to enter into another matrimonial union. That is, until he meets the headstrong Isabel of Camoys, the widow in question. Isabel has been managing her estate since the death of her brute of a husband, and prefers the life of a widow to living again as a man's chattel. But Ramon has never met a challenge he could not best, and he sees Isabel as a worthwhile opponent. This leads to a saucy seduction by Ramon, which is sometimes humorous and quite steamy at others.

The story had great secondary characters and villains. I particularly liked Ambrose and Isabel's nurse, who made me chuckle several times and provided my favorite quote for the book:

A member like that means only one thing,” Mildred continued in spite of Isabel’s displeasure with the topic. She leaned closer and lowered her voice. “The man will have a great appetite for the flesh. Every midwife will tell you a member that thick and long is a demanding one. He’ll need to spend once a night at least and likely twice with sacs such as those.

So this one had a little bit of everything from romance to comedy to drama, all wrapped up in a beautiful medieval setting. I will definitely be continuing on with the series. I believe the next book will feature Ambrose, a hulking blond giant of a man. ;)

I received an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 4 stars / 3 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
Sometimes its really hard to connect with the characters in the medieval era, they always come across as overbearing savage 'raping in the name of love' lords. Suffice to say this wasn't one of those books. The characters were well developed and a little bit of history was thrown in there.

All in all, an enjoyable read.

THANKS TO SOURCEBOOKS CASABLANCA FOR THIS ADVANCED PREVIEW COPY. ( )
  invincible005 | Jul 29, 2015 |
Summary

Ramon de Segrave, has fought side by side with King Richard the Lionheart, has won many battles and proved himself a man of honor and courage. Richard is planning another Crusade, and has command Ramon to stay in England, and win the hand of Isabel of Camoys so he can be a baron and gain her land and Richard is trusting him to guide his brother John while he is away. Ramon is ready to battle, but the battle against Lady Isabel will be more fierce than any he has fought. Isabel is a widow, and using her brains she has led her people and kept them out of harms way, despite having no protection. She has paid off Richard with the feathers of her geese for his arrows. Now she is independent and doesn’t need or want another husband. She already had a husband that had no care for her and treated her as an object to be used and discarded. When Ramon arrives, she is not ready for his pursuit of her, but Ramon is determined to win her hand and convince her their match would be true and full of passion. But there is a threat to Isabel and the land she holds, and soon Ramon and Isabel and thrown a curve on the path to finding true love.

The Hero

Ramon de Segrave, is a man of honor. He lost his trust in woman a long time ago. He was once married, but she used him as a cuckold while he was away at war, and he has no trust when it comes to a woman’s cunning. He has fought for Richard the Lionheart for as long as he can remember, and is close to the man. When he is commanded to marry Isabel he refuses, but is persuaded to give her a chance. Ramon is a hero that just make you burn. Boy was he a sexy beast…very literally. He is very alpha male, commanding and likes control, but he is honest and true to his word. He has good intentions, and is very determined when he wants something to be done. He doesn’t let anything stand in his way. I love that even though he is a hardened warrior, he isn’t like many men of his time. He respects women despite how he has been treated in the past. He is playful at times, and is confident in himself and others. I adored his treatment of Isobel, it was so much better than I thought, and I loved how he didn’t take her seriously, but embraced her defiance and loved her spirit and tenacity.

The Heroine

Isobel, is a woman of confidence and independence. She learned under her fathers wing how to handle falcons and geese. She has brains and knows how to use them. She was married to a man who used her in the worst ways. And their marriage only last a season, which she was grateful. Isobel is a leader of her people, and has worked hard alongside those she leads to protect and makes sure everyone has their needs met. She is loyal and stubborn and has this inner strength to be admired. What I found most intriguing about Isobel is how spirited she could be and the way she defies Ramon at every turn, considering how her last marriage turned out. It was quite illuminating seeing a heroine that stood on her own (in this time period when most women were passive), and you could see how much she believed in herself and didn’t back down from a fight, even knowing there could be consequences.

Plot and Story Line

A Sword For His Lady was a remarkable read and what a story!! Oh my goodness, I couldn’t put this one down. Apparently I haven’t read this author in the longest time, I have only read one of her other books, and reading this story reminded me how much I love her story. What was most endearing about A Sword For His Lady was how this brought history to life for me. This story is set in the late 1100’s, where Richard the I or also known as Richard the Lionheart, is King, and is on the war of the Crusades. I love this time period, and Mary Wine wrote it perfectly in detail and certain aspects of description where she makes this time come virtually alive for the reader. This is what I love most about historical romance, this is what made me fall in love with it in the first place…is the HISTORY. History and romance just go so great together especially with such talent as Mary Wine. From the beginning of Isobel and Roman’s meeting of each other, there is sparks and boy what sparks, I was so enthralled by the connection they have with each other. I was slowly seduced into a story of history and passion and world of danger and intrigue, and survival. We see many unique facets in this story come to life, we deal with a villain and his consort, a kidnapping, some battles, charming supporting characters, a small boy who is battling with honor and what is the right thing to do, and a love story that comes alive in these pages. Oh so many things to savor in this book and boy what a winner of a romance this was. It is stories like this that wins me over and keeps me reading this genre!! It is a book that will endear you to a time of war and passion in ways you wouldn’t ever expect. I can’t wait for the second book….should be a winner if its anything like this one!! I highly recommend this to any historical romance fans or a reader that is charmed by a love story rich in history and solid in her creativity of storytelling that wraps around you like the sun in the summer heat.

The Cover

GORGEOUS!! That is all I have to say, I mean seriously…who wouldn’t love the rich colors, Her dress looks authentic and I love the rich colors.

Overall View

A Sword For His Lady is a powerful telling of a love story that has rich historical context, characters that spark full of energy, and a plot that guarantees the reader never a dull moment….passionate and sparkles with sensuality!! ( )
  addictofromance | Jul 12, 2015 |

London, 1189. After proving himself on the field of battle, Ramon de Segrave is appointed to the Council of Barons by Richard the Lionheart. But instead of taking his most formidable warrior on his latest Crusade, the king assigns Ramon an even more dangerous task-woo and win the Lady of Thistle Keep. Isabel of Camoys is a capable widow with no intention of surrendering her valuable estate on the Welsh border. She's fought long and hard for her independence, and if the price is loneliness, then so be it. But when her land is threatened, Isabel reluctantly agrees to allow Ramon and his army to defend the keep-knowing that the price may very well be her heart.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,402,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible