Of Daks and Humans (Kumbh Chronicles: Book…

Of Daks and Humans (Kumbh Chronicles: Book One)

by Kaysa, Zoey (Author)

113,689,591NoneNone
Recently added byAmelia_Smith

The one of the authors of this book is one of my critique buddies. We swapped opening chapters last December, and I picked up the full version a couple of weeks ago.

The story starts off with a prologue. We don't circle back to that setting until late in the book.

A quick synopsis:

Rohan and his friends are quite surprised to find they've aced their law school entrance exams. When they arrive at the university, they're whisked off to a magical parallel world with many ties to our own. Much of the book follows their misadventures at the magical university of Sarnash, where they struggle with classes, try to woo girls, play basketball, and clash with some of the other students, natives of the magical parallel world. One of Sarnash's great attractions is its magical video games.

When Rohan's love interest's grandfather disappears, they set out to unravel the mystery.

Ups and Downs:

Those of us who do not speak Hindi or closely related languages will have difficulty following some of the dialog. I could still follow what was going on, more or less, but I wished that the authors had provided translations for some of the longer bits. However, this book is written mostly for the Indian market, so that's not a major flaw.

The details of university life at Saransh were fun to learn about, but reminded me that this is a YA novel and not really aimed at those of us whose university years are fading into the foggy past. The plot lagged a little after Rohan arrives in Saransh, but at the same time it was kind of fun to see into another culture's university system. The boy main characters sometimes came across as immature, but then, they're supposed to be 17, and they do somehow, eventually, rise to the occasion.

If a Harry-Potteresque fantasy in an Indian setting sounds like your cup of tea, then check this one out. I'm looking forward to the authors' next story, based on the excerpt included in the back of this book.
  Amelia_Smith | May 2, 2015 |

KaysaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
ZoeyAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

Average: No ratings.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,333,671 books! | Top bar: Always visible