YOLO Juliet by William Shakespeare

haha it was cute and surprisingly accurate ( )
  jwmchen | Nov 4, 2017 |
I feel like this was just as good as the others in the series. I laughed, I laughed some more, etc. It's worth the read if you like this sort of thing. I would definitely recommend it. 5 out of 5 stars. Brilliant. ( )
  Beammey | Feb 13, 2016 |
When I read about the OMG Shakespeare series I couldn’t help but think, ‘Why were these not around then I was at school?’ It’s such a great idea to get kids (and adults) familiar with Shakespeare’s works in a non-threatening, fun environment. Plus, it’s totally up to the minute with emojis, texts, status updates and voice memos. (I must be old. I don’t use the voice memos on my phone!) I think it’s a great way to introduce Shakespeare’s plays without the fear of not understanding the language.

I did study Romeo and Juliet in school and I have seen the Leonardo Di Caprio/Claire Danes Romeo + Juliet numerous times so I’m pretty familiar with the story. Brett Wright does a great job in telling the story (it must be pretty difficult to translate face-to-face scenes into messages) so that you get the idea of what’s happening in terms of plot. He also captures the intrigue and desperation of the couple’s doomed love. The fight scenes didn’t work too well for me (pretty hard to capture that in texts) but I loved the use of emojis. The abbreviations are quite addictive (I’ve picked up FML, which means something completely different in my work life!) and there is a glossary at the back in case you have FOMO at IDK or SMH at the 411.

You do miss out on some of the classic lines (biting thumbs, what light through yonder window breaks etc.) but I think YOLO Juliet is an excellent primer to know the story before delving into the original Shakespeare. It’s also way more entertaining than Cliff’s Notes (if they still exist). It’s also a great way to relive the story with a bit of fun (think autocorrect, a mum who always signs her text and an interfering nurse).

I really enjoyed this story as an adult (it’s such a laugh and the fact that my English Lit teacher would be horrified is just the icing on the cake) but I think it would be great for young teens to enjoy too. It would be a great stocking stuffer this Christmas.

Thanks to Penguin Random House for this book. My review is honest.

http://samstillreading.wordpress.com ( )
  birdsam0610 | Nov 16, 2015 |
This book was a comedic little retelling of Romeo and Juliet using text messages rampant with emojis. I got a good laugh out of it and I will certainly buy the other books in this series. I'm not a die-hard Shakespeare fan, so I didn't mind his work being poked fun at or translated into a bunch of smilies (though I know some people in Twitter are all up in arms about the existence of this book). If you're open to parodies, check it out. There's even a handy little translation guide in the back to tell you what things mean. For example, I learned that FOMO means fear of missing out! Does that make me old for not knowing that? ;P ( )
  MillieHennessy | Sep 11, 2015 |

William Shakespeareprimary authorall editionscalculated
Wright, Brettmain authorall editionsconfirmed

Romeo and Juliet, one of the greatest love stories ever told . . . in texts?!

Imagine: What if those star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet had smartphones? A classic is reborn in this fun and funny adaptation of one of Shakespeare’s most famous plays!

Two families at war.
A boy and a girl in love.
A secret marriage gone oh-so-wrong.

"Two families at war. A boy and a girl in love. A secret marriage gone oh-so-wrong. What if those star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet had smartphones? The classic Shakespeare play told through its characters texting with emojis, checking in at certain locations, and updating their relationship statuses"… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,360,959 books! | Top bar: Always visible