Summer at Shell Cottage by Lucy Diamond

Summer at Shell Cottage

by Lucy Diamond

2015 (1) 2016 (1) 100271 (1) 2016: read (1) AFFIC (1) College Library (1) fiction (2) Kindle (3) Lucy Diamond (1) NYR (1) OML (1) read (2) Read Chick Lit (1) to-read (4)

‘Summer at Shell Cottage’ features an extended family who congregate each summer for a couple of weeks in Devon, in the family’s ‘Shell Cottage’. This particular year there are many stresses, some long-term and some new and unexpected...

The writing style is quite informal at times, almost stream-of-consciousness in places. Different chapters take different viewpoints, so we see the family dynamics well. While a few of the characters are a bit two-dimensional and stereotyped, the three main women and the children felt like real people, and I quickly found that I cared about them all.

Towards the end it was difficult to put the book down. While some revelations were predictable, there was one shock which I had not seen coming. Maybe the concluding chapter was a bit too neat and tidy, but that's the way I like books to end.

Overall I liked it very much. Perhaps some would find it slow-moving or caricatured, but I thought it an enjoyable and uplifting read. If you like character-driven women’s fiction, and are looking for something light and undemanding as a summer read, I would definitely recommend it. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jul 25, 2016 |

A seaside holiday at Shell Cottage in Devon has always been the perfect escape for the Tarrant family. Beach fun, barbecues and warm summer evenings with a cocktail or two - who could ask for more? But this year, everything has changed. Following her husband's recent death, Olivia is struggling to pick up the pieces. Then she makes a shocking discovery that turns her world upside down. As a busy mum and GP, Freya's used to having her hands full, but a bad day at work has put her career in jeopardy and now she's really feeling the pressure. Harriet's looking forward to a break with her lovely husband Robert and teenage daughter Molly. But unknown to Harriet, Robert is hiding a secret - and so, for that matter, is Molly ...… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,646,502 books! | Top bar: Always visible