I Am the Traitor by Allen Zadoff

I Am the Traitor

by Allen Zadoff

Boy Nobody is in a dangerous dilemma. After surviving the bombing in Boston, The Program captured his friend Howard. Now Boy Nobody has to come to the rescue, deal with his fellow soldier Mike, and make The Program believe he is still a loyal soldier.
Along the way, Boy Nobody will encounter people he isn't sure he can trust and stumble upon truths about what happened to his parents five years ago. All the training he's received may not be enough in the end.
I found this third installment to be much better than book two, which I was less than happy with. The book was structured the same as the two previous books were, which made it very easy to jump back into the story. I enjoyed the fast pace and the interactions of the characters.
I like that this book reminded me of why I liked book one so much and who Boy Nobody was in book one. I must admit that the ending surprised me, I, in no way, saw it coming. The rest of the book created a healthy dose of suspense and mystery.
I did find a few things that I did not like, however. For one, there is a character that is introduced in this book, that flip flops too often. It made it hard for me to believe that Boy Nobody, after all of his training and all that has happened would still find trust in this person. I also disliked the ending greatly. Not the twist, but the very very end. The book ended on a cliffhanger, and left me with too many questions that need answered and, in my opinion, a book should never end with too many unanswered questions, especially if it is the end of a series. If it is in the middle of a series, it is obviously a good thing, but at the end, not so much.
All in all, I liked this book. It was well written, the plot was engaging, and most of the characters were connectable. Despite my dislike of the second book, this book was worth the read and I would recommend it to anyone who liked the first book.
  Stephergiggles | Feb 14, 2016 |
I received an eARC from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

After being pleasantly surprised by [b:I Am the Weapon|18453088|I Am the Weapon (The Unknown Assassin, #1)|Allen Zadoff|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1393222166s/18453088.jpg|20387130], I felt really let down by [b:I Am the Mission|18634740|I Am the Mission (The Unknown Assassin, #2)|Allen Zadoff|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1399328324s/18634740.jpg|26431028]. It just felt like the snappy writing at the expense of character development was getting a little old, and I couldn't believe how much I felt like we had to start at square one again with Zach. I felt like Zadoff had built enough questions that Zach should have been thinking about them more by the end of the second book.

So, in some ways, starting this one, I was again wary. Once again, Zach is teetering between agreeing with the Program and disagreeing with it. But I thought the ending here, if very abrupt, was at least a little more satisfying. There's still some ruthless violence, and lots of action.

I'll also say this: Zadoff's specialty is writing action scenes. It's not romance. I really cringed when, after an introduction to Tanya that was very unremarkable, Zach suddenly said, a short while later, that Tanya seemed to have "that effect" on him. Huh? Just no. It got a little better later, but honestly, the romance here was awkward and I kind of wish it wasn't there at all.

But this is an entertaining trilogy, and if it's not going to go down as one of my favorites, it still struck me as a quick and kind of pleasant surprise. ( )
  elephantine | Nov 27, 2015 |
In this third installment, Zach/Daniel/Ben has to move on from Camp Liberty and Miranda & Lee. Will he be able to rejoin The Program? Has he gone too far in questioning his orders? Can he trust Tanya? Will he be able to find Howard and get information about his real father? In another fast action, page turning installment, he faces many twists, turns, and dangers. Excellent third installments, read it in less than a day. ( )
  alsparks | Sep 16, 2015 |
This is Book Three of the series that began with I Am the Weapon and continued with I Am the Mission. If you have been following the series, you can figure out what this book will be about from the title. But you can’t guess how it play out, because it can’t be very easy for an individual either to defy or evade The Program, a shady black-ops type organization to which Zach, 16, is pledged.

In the previous books, Zach actually made a friend (something he is not allowed to do) of a computer whiz, Howard, whom Zach enlisted to help him find out what really happened to his father. As Book Three begins, Howard has been taken captive by The Program; they not only want to learn just what Howard knows, but they also figure they can draw back the renegade Zach who presumably will want to rescue his friend. Of course Zach finds where Howard is, and is surprised to discover that another teen, Tanya, is also in captivity with Howard. Zach decides to rescue them both.

But battling The Program is obviously not going to be easy. After some hair-raising encounters, Zach finally gets some answers, only they are not the ones for which he was hoping.

Discussion: The author does a good job in this book both in making scenarios more believable, and in figuring out how to resolve the seemingly unbeatable odds of an entire lethal organization of assassins up against one boy without coming off as absurd. My only quibble is with the romance: there didn’t seem to be any justification for it or even any lead-up to it. Suddenly it was just there. But otherwise, this book shows more writing skill, in my opinion, than the previous books.

Presumably this series was a trilogy and this story ended it, but it could easily be extended. ( )
  nbmars | Aug 15, 2015 |
"We are soldiers," Mike says. "Never forget what that means."

I really enjoyed the first book of this series (not as a big of a fan of the second though) so I was really eager to see how this series would end. It has been a little while since I've read the second book but from the beginning of this one I had no trouble remembering what had happened and who each character was.

Zach is back and now he must rescue Howard from The Program. There is a small complication when he discovers Howard is being held with a girl named Tanya and he is unsure as to whether or not she is trustworthy. Zach must also deal with whether or not he will trust and continue to work with The Program.

Throughout this series I have felt that at times Zach has been far too trusting of people and this book is no exception to that. For someone who is supposed to be a trained assassin he can be pretty trusting and naive. Then again he is just a teenager.

I really loved the first 3/4ths of this book. It kept me on the edge of my seat and I had no idea what would happen next. The last fourth of the book had me disappointed. It did not live up to my expectations. Quite honestly I was expecting it to blow my mind or at least be something that I couldn't guess easily on my own. The series is leading us to this moment and if you try hard enough you'll figure it out without trying all that hard.

Despite my feelings towards the ending I did enjoy this book. Other fans of this series might love that ending so I would recommend reading this if you've enjoyed the previous books. Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the galley. ( )
  dpappas | Jun 2, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,078,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible