The Soldier's Secret by Heather Osborne

The Soldier's Secret

by Heather Osborne

212,551,640 (5)None
Recently added byJaina_Rose, saharafoley

The Soldier’s Secret has been awarded the Readers Favorite Five Star badge. And I certainly understand why. This story is beautifully written and steeped with rich historical events. Not the best from our history, and definitely the most costly in needless death tolls. Heather Osborne depicts the horrible fighting and living conditions during the Civil War in great detail and I can’t even begin to imagine what life as a soldier had to have been like. Why a woman, especially from a genteel background, would place herself in peril in that type of world speaks of strength and loyally for the people she loves. And that is exactly who Emma Mansfield is.
As her brothers rush off to fight the war, Emma’s left behind, feeling useless and worried about her brothers. She wants to fight, but our society back then didn’t condone women on the battlefield. They were meant to stay home and tend the wounded or raise money and materials for the war effort. That wasn’t enough for Emma, so she conspires with an older, trusted friend to help her get to the frontlines.
We travel quite a distance with Emma as she searches for her brothers and then tries to return home. During her travels, she makes a mortal enemy, but she also finds love. I thought the pacing of the story was a little slower at the beginning but it picked up as the story progressed.
If you love historical romances and the civil war, you’ll want to read this story. I enjoyed this tale and give it 5 feathers. ( )
  saharafoley | May 3, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,109,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible