The Smuggler's Gambit (Adam Fletcher…

The Smuggler's Gambit (Adam Fletcher Adventure Series) (Volume 1)

by Sara Whitford

312357,052 (3)2

This was more than a slow read for me, in fact after reading 50% of the book I gave up and quit. I see that the target audience is up to 14-years-old which I am not. I just couldn’t seem to connect with the characters. When I look back on the prologue I see it as a spoiler, it indicated upcoming events and action and I kept waiting for it.
I don’t intend deleting this from my kindle because my grandson in 6 and perhaps in a year or two we can read together. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Mar 7, 2017 |
The Smuggler's Gambit by Sara Whitford is about seventeen-year-old Adam Fletcher and his journey from tavern server to shopping apprentice. On his path, Adam discovers his small town is filled with more intrigue and illegal activity than he could ever imagine. With the help of his new master, Emmanuel Rogers and his new friends to navigate the treacherous line between good citizen of the Crown during pre-Revolution America and smuggler. When Rogers' direct competition approaches Adam to act as his spy, Adam is torn between loyalty to his employer and the desire to help the wealthy man that he admires.

Sara Whitford uses The Smuggler's Gambit as a fictional device to teach preteens and teens about life in colonial times in Port Beaufort, North Carolina. Her historical depiction is combined with modern day dialogue to help youthful readers learn while enjoying the story. From political unrest to survival techniques and cask construction, The Smuggler's Gambit is filled with opportunities to challenge inquisitive minds. Her characters are adolescent safe while still being interesting. Her characters have diverse outlooks on life and promote trust among friends and family. While the unrest between the British and the Americans is touched upon, Whitford wisely avoids taking the focus off the story of Adam to demonize the British.

While I would have enjoyed more suspense during the early chapters of The Smuggler's Gambit, Sara Whitford makes wise use of the later chapters to pack in tons of plot movement. Whitford has a real talent for creating dynamic characters that are easy to commiserate with. Of all the characters, I enjoyed Emmanuel Rogers the most. An old man with a long history ranging from pirate to trusted businessman, he has high ethics and a self confidence that allows him to teach by example the kind of values a young man needs to learn to evolve from impetuous teen to successful businessman. I also admired how a single woman in colonial times had to fight to maintain control of her own child against the disapproval of the town leaders. I recommend The Smuggler's Gambit to teens and preteens who enjoy historical fiction or who have an interest in ships and seaport commerce. If The Smuggler's Gambit is a sample of what new writer Sara Whitford has to offer the young adult reader, I look forward to seeing much more from her.

***Originally written for Readers' Favorite*** ( )
  FrancineZane | Mar 18, 2016 |

Port Beaufort, North Carolina - May 1765

Seventeen-year-old Adam Fletcher is no stranger to fist fights, but when he bloodies the nose of Francis Smythe, the obnoxious son of Port Beaufort's customs agent, the local magistrate offers Adam two choices: jail or an apprenticeship.

Choosing the latter, he soon finds himself bound apprentice to a reclusive old man with a secret, colorful past. Initially, Adam is less than thrilled about his situation, but when he is asked to spy on his new master as a suspected smuggler, he has to decide whether or not he will betray the man. Or will he do whatever is necessary to protect him, possibly putting even his own family at risk?

Secrets will be revealed, loyalties will be questioned, betrayals will be uncovered, and a young man's character will be put to the test in The Smuggler's Gambit.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 08:32:17 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,144,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible