Amish Promises (Neighbors of Lancaster…

Amish Promises (Neighbors of Lancaster County)

by Leslie Gould

305367,255 (5)None

This is a good mix of Amish and Englishers. Joel has returned from Iraq injured. Shani wants a fresh start and moves to her grandparents old home in Lancaster county. Their friend Charlie comes to help Shani and Joel get settled and he meets Eve Lehman, an Amish woman. Can they all be friends or can Amish and Englishers not stay friends. There are a lot of twists and turns in this story. I really loved all the characters and how they are woven together. I received a copy of this book from Bethany House for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Jan 24, 2016 |
Open the pages of Amish Promises and enter Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. While you are there, be prepared to enter the lives of two neighbors. One family being Amish, the other being English. This is a story of hardship, huge obstacles, love, unwilling to forgive, forgiveness, faith, hope, and God.

As we learn more about each family, we see the hurts that both have suffered. Sometimes change is necessary, will each family be open to it?

Oh the struggles of life. This story is so realistic that I felt I was right there in the midst of the turmoil and suffering. Tears stung my eyes many times making reading difficult until my eyes cleared. I loved the message that author Leslie Gould wanted the reader to get. It is a powerful one if you have an open mind and gentle spirit.

I have read many books by this author and I have enjoyed each one. However, that being said, this is my favorite one so far. I highly recommend that you read this book. I promise, you won't be disappointed.

This is Book One in the series, Neighbors of Lancaster County. I am looking forward to reading Book Two. ( )
  passionforbooks | Jun 23, 2015 |
Amish Promises is a story of living ones faith, even if it doesn’t bring a lot of happiness, and marrying another just to fulfill a desire for family, even without love. How many have been caught in this situation? For the main character in this book, Eve, she has made promises to always take care of deceased friends children, and because of her upbringing, she has vowed to never marry a man who is Amish. Because she is Amish this leaves her in never land.
I have always heard that the Amish don’t mind dealing with the English in business, but want their home life and their children to be kept separate and apart. In other words to socially unconnected.
This story deals with English neighbors and their interaction with their Amish neighbors. It also deals with war and PTSD, and the effects of this on the family and friends. Put this all together and we have an amazing read, one that will really have you thinking and wanting to have some input, but of course you can’t.
I thorough enjoyed this book, and it kept me turning the pages to find out what could possibly happen next, and their sure is a lot of action, whether it is a fire, ice storm, death, baby arriving, injury, etc. You won’t want to put this one down, the story is well written, and the characters have great depth. Enjoy!

I received this book through Bethany House Publisher’s Bloggers Tour, and was not required to give a positive review. ( )
  alekee | May 18, 2015 |
'Amish Promises' by Leslie Gould centers around two families, one "secular" (for a lack of a better term) and one Amish who happens to be new neighbors in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. As you can imagine, life between two families with different ways of life can and will get interesting. How much do you know about the Amish way of life, and how much do you know about their ways in flourishing and co-habitation with modern civilization? Well, lets explore it together with 'Amish Promises'.

First, let's start with what we can see. I love this cover. Fall is my favorite season of the year with its beautiful array of warm colors. This cover clearly shows two different people with two different ways of life walking side by side along a beautiful scenic path. Their expressions and their body language gives us meaning to understanding and hopefully, leads to 'promises' as the cover so says.

Next, the synopsis. Joel and Shani Becks are new neighbors to the Lehmans, an Amish family. As Joel struggles with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and physical injuries, Shani needs to find the Joel she loved and married before the war and hopefully rebuild their family in a quiet area in Lancaster, PA. Eve Lehman helps run her brother's household of kids, since the death of his wife, Abra. Eve struggles with self-blame and a strained relationship with her brother. Both Eve and Shani finds comfort with each other as their friendship strengthens. With the arrival of Joel's army buddy, Charlie, both families' lives gets more complicated or does it?

I must say, I love this book. True, there are quirks or something silly that I don't really like (we'll get to that in a little bit), but the story and the characters are so captivating that you can't help but love. This story is about friendship, about love, about pain (heartache), and ultimately healing. Life takes us through many twists and turns. It's how we deal with it, with the support of those that love us, and how we support others, that's what makes life interesting. This story, is very much about Joel's PTSD, as it is about Shani's struggles with a moody husband and being the glue of the family. It is also about Eve and her love for her family, while dealing with her identity. It is about the kids and their growth. It is about Tim's (Eve's brother) prejudice and overall everyone's healing process. We all need healing, in some form or another. Ms. Gould provided a story that intertwines all the characters' lives so beautifully, like they are real. With each other, they stumbled, they perceived and they healed. More importantly, they learnt who they are as individuals and as a collective within their family and friends. I love this book. I love the story, the meaning and I love how nobody's perfect. Don't you just love how some novels, there's always a perfect character? (Eyes rolling).

Now, my little quirk with it, I didn't love one of the main characters. Not that this character is perfect, just that this character's character annoyed me in several parts of the book. That's not any fault of the author. In fact that tells you Ms. Gould did a great job in building a character that even their minor trait bothers me.

Ms. Leslie Gould created something with 'Amish Promises' - for us, readers to know and understand Amish's way of life in relation to the "secular" world, as well as providing us with a good plot, strong characters and development throughout the book. I loved it so much, I finished it in one sitting, and this will be a book on my bookshelf to keep and read in the future again.

Note: I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher, Bethany House for an honest review.

http://justcommonly.blogspot.com/2015/05/amish-promises-by-leslie-gould.html ( )
  justcommonly | May 13, 2015 |
Amish Promises by Leslie Gould is a lovely Amish fiction book. It is the first book in the Neighbors of Lancaster County series. Amish Promises is set in 2004. Eve Lehman (she is considered an old Maidel) is living with her brother, Tim, who is a widower. She is helping take care of his five children. Eve promises Tim’s wife and her best friend, Abra that she would take care of the children. Eve made a promise to herself that she would never marry an Amish man (she grew up with a harsh father and her brother is very similar). The farmhouse next door has been empty since Old Mr. William’s passed away. Eve received a call the current owner’s daughter and son-in-law would be moving in and asked her to tidy the place up. Eve cleaned up the house and left a special quilt for its new residents.

Shani and Joel Beck along with their son, Zane (he’s twelve) are moving into the farmhouse. Shani is a pediatric nurse and currently pregnant with their second child. Joel was injured in Iraq and is having a difficult time. Shani is hoping the quiet of the country and living in the farmhouse will be helpful and healing for her husband. Zane is excited that there are children next door. What they do not know is that Tim Lehman does not like his family to mix with Englischers (he has good reasons).

The day they move in Zane disappears. Joel, who keeps refusing help, falls down the front steps breaking his leg. Their landline has yet to be installed and, of course, cell phone reception is nonexistent. Shani rushes next door to the Lehman’s to use their phone. Shani finds another emergency in progress. Zane had gone into the barn, scared a horse, which kicked Simon (one of Tim’s sons). Simon is unconscious and has a broken jaw. Two ambulances have to be called. Tim insists that Zane do Simon’s chores until he is well again (they run a dairy farm).

Charlie McCall, Joel’s army buddy and family friend, comes down on weekends to help out the family. He helps them unpack, chop firewood, and plays ball with Zane. Joel, unfortunately, instead of thankful for the help, sees how useless he is and falls into a worse depression. Zane, though, takes to the Lehman children right away and they are fast friends. But you know there is going to be trouble because of Tim. Shani is struggling to take care of the home, Zane, and Joel. Joel sits in front of the television all day and he is constantly worrying about everything (the pregnancy, money, and safety).

Eve loves having Shani nearby and they get to know each other. The children are soon going in and out of the Beck’s home after school. Eve also gets to know Charlie (you can see where this is going to go). Eve is also being courted by the Bishop, Gideon. Eve, though, does not care for the Bishop and tries to avoid him. Both families have their troubles and it is going to take something big to bring them together.

I give Amish Promises 5 out of 5 stars. I really enjoyed reading this book and did not want it to end. I have tried to summarize the book, but it is difficult. There is a lot of action in the book (and I did not want to give away any spoilers). I loved the book’s ending. If you like Amish fiction, you will enjoy Amish Promises.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | May 3, 2015 |

Journey Down a Quiet Lane in Lancaster County Where Love and Heartache and Friendship and Healing Meet

When Joel and Shani Beck arrive at their new home, they're looking for peace. Shani is thrilled to have Joel back from Iraq, but he needs time to heal, and the quiet of Lancaster seems just the place. They can't imagine any trouble with their Amish neighbors, the Lehmans, but things get off to a rocky start when their son is involved in an accident that injures one of the Lehman boys.

Eve Lehman has run her brother's household ever since the death of his wife, but Tim's a stern patriarch. Despite his protests, she's drawn to the new neighbor, Shani, and the two begin to form a strong friendship forged on faith and family. Things seem like they've quieted down until Joel's single and handsome army friend Charlie catches Eve's attention--a man unlike any Eve has ever met. Suddenly life for both families becomes more complicated than any of them could have ever imagined.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 07 Jul 2015 07:57:34 -0400)

Bethany House

An edition of this book was published by Bethany House.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,985,070 books! | Top bar: Always visible