What Pet Should I Get? by Dr. Seuss

What Pet Should I Get?

by Dr. Seuss

3642029,815 (3.77)6

I did not like this book for one main reason and that is the ending. I did not like how there's suspense on choosing a pet and how the two main characters had their own choice on what animal they wanted to take home. They also went back and forth about choosing which animal they wanted which made me dizzy in a way and just overall not enjoy the story. Lastly, the ending of the story was that the two main characters make a decision but the decision is hidden from the reader. So as the reader you have to guess what animal they took home. Also, at the end Dr. Seuss explains why he wanted the ending to be a mystery and that he thought it would be more interesting if the readers decide which pet they think was chosen. I guess I am used to having an ending to a story and never really encountered a story where I could end it myself, which is why I guess I didn't like it. Overall, the illustrations were pretty good because everything was light but I felt like I saw the same colors through out the whole book. It was my first time reading this Dr.Seuss book and just felt like it was out of the ordinary from all the other Dr. Seuss books I normally read. I would still have this in my class library, but I don't think I would use it as a read aloud. ( )
  mmende6 | Oct 31, 2017 |
Not the best Dr. Seuss... but still great. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
In this newly discovered book by Dr. Seuss, a brother and sister are at the pet store trying to decide what pet to get. Of course they can only have one, but all the pets look like so much fun it’s hard to choose just one. The other problem they face is they have a deadline; Mother and Dad said to be home by noon. This may be a “new” Dr. Seuss book, but with familiar characters, animals, and rhymes it already feels like a comfortable, old friend that generations of old and young alike will never tire of reading over and over again.

Sharyn H. / Marathon County Public Library
Find this book in our library catalog.

mcpl.wausau | Sep 25, 2017 |
This story is about a boy and a girl who are siblings who's dad said they can get a pet. They had no idea what they wanted. It started from a dog, cat, kitten, to a pup and all of these different animals. It explains how they would live with them and if their dad would be okay with. In the end they pick one pet and don't show you what it is, its a cliffhanger! You don't know what pet they get which drove me crazy but a good book! ( )
  Hayley.Hustead | Jan 20, 2017 |
I grew up reading Dr. Suess and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book after reading that his wife and assistant had found the lost manuscript. After reading the book, I believe it should have remained unpublished. It's a cute story, but the rhyming feels forced at times and the story only includes three fictional creatures (I would have enjoyed more it if all the animals were fictional). I believe Dr. Seuss chose to leave this book unpublished for a reason. He must have thought that the story needed improvement and he only wanted to put out his best work published.

The story follows a brother and sister as they make their way through a pet store trying to figure out which pet they should get. Most of the animals in the story are real; a dog or a cat, a singing bird or a rabbit, a fish, etc. Fictional animals include a fast animal that flys around on a string, a tall animal that fits in small spaces, and a yent that can fit in a tent. The story ends with the kids walking out with an unidentified pet in a basket. I liked that we don't know what pet they chose to get because it allows children to make their own guess/choice on what pet the kids picked.

The end of the book has several pages about Dr. Seuss, his life, and career. It explains how this book came to be and the choices they had to make to get it published. It's a nice touch and I enjoyed it a little more than I did the actual story. ( )
  JessicaGarcia6 | Jan 19, 2017 |

A never-before-seen picture book by Dr. Seuss!

This never-ever-before-seen picture book by Dr. Seuss about making up one’s mind is the literary equivalent of buried treasure! What happens when a brother and sister visit a pet store to pick a pet? Naturally, they can’t choose just one! The tale captures a classic childhood moment—choosing a pet—and uses it to illuminate a life lesson: that it is hard to make up your mind, but sometimes you just have to do it!

Told in Dr. Seuss’s signature rhyming style, this is a must-have for Seuss fans and book collectors, and a perfect choice for the holidays, birthdays, and happy occasions of all kinds.

An Editor’s Note at the end discusses Dr. Seuss’s pets, his creative process, and the discovery of the manuscript and illustrations for What Pet Should I Get?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 18 Jul 2015 05:44:01 -0400)

A boy wants all of the pets in a pet store but he and his sister can choose only one. End notes discuss Dr. Seuss's pets, his creative process, and the discovery of the manuscript and illustrations for "What Pet Should I Get?"

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,362,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible