Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2)…

Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Karen Chance

1,281None6,121 (3.78)12
Member:vzuloaga
Title:Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2)
Authors:Karen Chance
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Rating:***

Claimed by Shadow by Karen Chance

English (27)  Italian (1)  All languages (28)
I give up.

I spent a week trying to listen to this book, and had to keep returning to previous chapters because I had tuned it out.

This book is boring boring boring, made worse by a narrator with a monotonous voice.

It is one battle after another, again and again. I finally tried to cut to the end and couldn't even manage to find out how it ended; I just could not listen to it long enough to find out.

Not imaginative, not compelling, not entertaining, not gripping.

I would recommend this book only to SERIOUS followers of the author or the series; I can't imagine anyone else getting through to stultifying dullness.

MissJessie | Oct 16, 2013 |
RATING: barely 3 stars.

Okay this series just isn't doing it for me (lol). No really. The author sets a plotline at the beginning and then instead of a linear story we get huge conversations/ info-dump moments interlaced with fast and furious action just as if the author remembered suddenly that ah! I have a story to get to, can't waste any more time with chitchat. Plus all the action seems kind of meaningless because most of the times it doesn't even advance the story that much (SPOILER - like the scene at Casanova's with the bucket of cow entrails - yuck). Then to top it off, the ending is always disappointing. And some of the tasks set out at the beginning are never completed.

Still, this one was a little better than the first. And since I've bought the first three books and the first in the author's other series I suppose I best read them all and get them out of the way... :p ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Just about every mystical creature that you could possibly think of, has been mentioned at least once in this story. This makes for a very large and interesting world. At times however, Chance gets downright ridiculous in her choices. In the last book, we were introduced to Marlow, Rasputin, Baby face Nelson, Jack the Ripper and the famed artist Raphael as vampires. It's enough to make one wonder if Chance believes that any historical figure was human. To some degree, one must suspend belief to read urban fantasy but Chance simply has pushed this too far with her latest editions. Would you believe that zombie Elvis makes an appearance as an Elvis impersonator in Las Vegas and when he gets accidentally hurt in a battle, he is temporarily replaced by zombie Jimi Hendrix? If that were not enough, Casanova the incubus, inhabits the body of a vampire. I side eyed my kindle so hard, I damn near hurt myself. It seems that Chance just loves a dash of camp with her urban fantasy.

With the death of the Pythia, Cassie inherits great power, unfortunately she does not have the training to be able to control it and the Circle (Light witches), vamps and fae all want something from her. Cassie's goal is to find someone to transfer the power to, save her father from an eternity of imprisonment and to avenge the mortal death of her parents. As you can see, there is a lot going on with this world and this is even further complicated by time travel. As an agent to move things along, time travel is excellent; however, if not treated carefully, the varying timelines can and in this case do make story difficult to follow.

In a trip to fairy, Cassie is offered the opportunity to complete the transfer of power and claim her rightful tittle as Pythra. As you may have guessed from my previous review, this involves having intercourse. We are repeatedly told that Cassie is a virgin, though if she is -- it is name only --having done every sexual act except penile penetration; this definition of virginity is highly heterosexist. It means that a gay man or woman who has never had sex with someone of the opposite sex, would by Chance's definition, remain a perpetual virgin, regardless of how many times they had sex. This coupled with the fact that there isn't a single gay or lesbian character in the series thus far is highly problematic. I will give Chance a bone though, for having succubi and incubi change gender at will however, once they change their gender to ensure that whatever coupling they participate in is heterosexual. There is only one hint of a same sex relationship involving an incubus and the vampire Dracula and that is thrown in as an aside, but with the ability of the incubi to change genders, there is enough room to question whether this really constitutes a same sex interaction.

A large part of the reason Cassie wants to claim her title as Pyria, is to remove the gies (read: magical spell) that was placed on her at the age of 12. This spell was placed on her by the master vampire Mycia and it ensured her virginity until she was ready to assume the role of Pyria, by sending out strong keep out vibes. The gies is specifically set to only allow Mircea, or a male he designates to have intercourse with Cassie. This of course means that when she find herself attracted to Pritkin the war mage, the gies flares to cause them physical pain to stop any kind of coupling. Wow, a virtual chastity belt on a prepubescent child. Mycia was essentially grooming her for himself. Events however become confused when Cassie travels back in time and inadvertently places a second gies on Mircea. It becomes a case of which came first, the chicken or the egg. Would Mircea have placed the gies on her when she was 12, if Cassie had not traveled back to the 1800's and accidentally placed one on him first?

Read more ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Sep 20, 2013 |
Cassie Palmer is still on the run from mages, vampires, and her new unwanted powers. Will she or won't she complete the "ritual" required to completely claim her status as the new Pythia? I wasn't surprised at her decision on this particular issue, just who the other participant in the ritual was. Didn't make much sense to me. Guess I'll have to keep reading the series to see where this goes! ( )
  arbjames | May 15, 2013 |
A very fast-paced second entry in the adventures of Cassie Palmer. Lots of excitement, some allies that seemed impossible, some magic tricks that were too difficult to deal with, and the bad guys being worse than anticipated. ( )
  Lexxie | Apr 23, 2013 |
Any day that starts off in a demon-filled bar in a casino designed to look like Hell isn't likely to turn out well.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461525, Mass Market Paperback)

Clairvoyant Cassie Plamer has inherited new magical powers-including the ability to travel through time. But it's a whole lot of responsibility she'd rather not have. Now she's the most popular girl in town, as an assortment of vamps, fey, and mages try to convince, force, or seduce her-and her magic-over to their side. But one particular master vampire didn't ask what Cassie wanted before putting a claim on her. He had a spell cast that binds her to him, and now she doesn't know if what she feels for him is real-or imagined...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:29 -0400)

"Clairvoyant Cassandra Palmer has inherited new magical powers - including the ability to travel through time. But it's a whole lot of responsibility she'd rather not have. Now she's the most popular girl in town, as an assortment of vamps, fey, and mages try to convince, force, or seduce her - and her magic - over to their side. But one particular master vampire didn't ask what Cassie wanted before putting a claim on her. He had a spell cast that binds her to him, and now she doesn't know if what she feels for him is real - or imagined."--Publisher details.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Two editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451461525, 0143204661

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,446,495 books! | Top bar: Always visible