Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2)…

Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Karen Chance

Member:vzuloaga
Title:Claimed by Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, Book 2)
Authors:Karen Chance
Info:Roc (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 374 pages
Rating:***

Claimed by Shadow by Karen Chance

English (32)  Italian (1)  Czech (1)  All languages (34)

I’m just not a time travel fan, so the first part of the book didn’t hold my attention as much as I’d like. There was shifting that seemed almost constant and I had trouble following the storyline due to the almost non-stop action, frantic pace, and not slowing down for me to care about much. Instead of staying excited, I grew bored and tended to skim when yet another shift scene happened that came out of nowhere with information overload to soon follow.

The second half grew more interesting as it slowed down to breathe (slightly) and there was some returns of characters from the first book, as well as interesting new ones, and the ending excelled with how she finally becomes Pithia.

I’m curious about what is going to happen with the geas and where that’s going to lead the story. It being tied into the dreamy Mircea helps. There must be some rule somewhere that almost any story with fairies, they’re pretty bad and cruel in Urban Fantasy. Billy the ghost is always funny and I’d like the author to explore Cass’s connection with the spirit world in a more in-depth way. The Consol is just yicky and disturbing, but I suppose the cold leader of the Vampire council would likely be anything else.

I didn’t really care at all about the Mircea and brothers Dracula angle, which is one reason I think I wasn’t as interested for the first part.

Cass is a good character – she’s funny, sympathetic, determined, independent, with realistic vulnerabilities. She doesn’t have a huge chip on her shoulder that makes you want to break it off. She does the best she can in whatever situation she lands, so the story getting dull at times doesn’t lay on poor characterization.

While the action being too frequent may hurt the story, Karen Chance is excellent with writing action scenes in general, I just think they may go on a bit too long and become overwhelming. She’s excellent with writing dialogue as well.

The end isn’t really a cliffhanger, but more of a major development that makes the potential sequels seem exciting. I now know there are at least two major plot points that will continue, both of them intriguing, so even though this book didn’t wow me much, I am definitely going to continue into the third to see what happens with the geas and the major changes for Cassie.

ErinPaperbackstash | Jun 14, 2016 |
Claimed by Shadow
3.5 Stars

With various vampires, mages and fae all vying for control of her newly acquired powers, Cassie Palmer is, herself, on the trail of the vampire she holds responsible for the deaths of her parents. To make matters worse, the rival for her abilities is determined to destroy the competition by any means necessary including traveling back in time to dispose of the powerful and sexy master vampire who has always been the one constant in Cassie’s life.

***Warning***: Minor spoilers ahead

The action in this installment begins immediately, which is both a good and a bad thing. It is good in the sense that the story is fast paced, but bad as expository information is lacking to the point that it feels as if a novella is missing - it isn’t and the explanations of events in the beginning are forthcoming later in the book.

There are some interesting developments in Cassie’s relationships with the various men in her life -Mircea, Pritkin and Tomas. To begin with the Geas is a questionable trope. On the one hand, it increases the sexual tension and emotional connection that exists between Mircea and Cassie, but on the other hand, it also undermines the relationship as one cannot know if Cassie’s feelings for him are real or a result of the spell.

Pritkin is one of the more intriguing characters in the series. While he and Cassie are obviously at odds on numerous issues and his reactions to her are aggressive and even violent, it is also clear that they are attracted to one another albeit very reluctantly. It will be interesting to see where Chance takes this.

Tomas is the weakest love interest for me. Not only did he betray Cassie in the last book, but his whiny beta tendencies do not make him a promising match for Cassie. The fact that he is the one to take Cassie’s virginity was disappointing as Mircea is the one who appeals to the romantic in me.

The actual plot is a mixed bag. The time travel elements are entertaining and it is interesting to see the social interactions and mores of the European vampires in London of 1888. In fact, these are the best parts of the book. The threads that focus on Myra’s machinations are exciting and action packed although the resolution is anti-climactic - Agnes taking possession of Myra and ending her life takes the decision out of Cassie’s hands and is somewhat of a cop-out.. The weakest plot points involve the excursion into Faerie as very little occurs there to forward the overall storyline and it seems that it is merely a launch pad for the next book.

In sum, Claimed by Shadows has its ups and downs, but it is intriguing enough to justify continuing with the series. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Jun 1, 2016 |
I just can't do it anymore. This series has the potential to be sooo good. But that goodness gets lost in the mix of too much going on and too many unanswered questions. (and me being distracted by the narrator's pronunciation) I really do want to like these books but and though they are not bad in the end I just feel rather "meh" about them. I guess this is just not the series for me and that makes me so sad.

2.5 but rounding up to 3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Apr 17, 2015 |

2.5 but rounding up to 3 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 9, 2014 |
ordered from amazon.fr

I'm looking forward to the next book. ( )
  Susanna.Dilliott | Apr 23, 2014 |
Any day that starts off in a demon-filled bar in a casino designed to look like Hell isn't likely to turn out well.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451461525, Mass Market Paperback)

Clairvoyant Cassie Plamer has inherited new magical powers-including the ability to travel through time. But it's a whole lot of responsibility she'd rather not have. Now she's the most popular girl in town, as an assortment of vamps, fey, and mages try to convince, force, or seduce her-and her magic-over to their side. But one particular master vampire didn't ask what Cassie wanted before putting a claim on her. He had a spell cast that binds her to him, and now she doesn't know if what she feels for him is real-or imagined...

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:54 -0400)

A powerful clairvoyant, Cassandra Palmer, while warding off her enemies, discovers that an arrogant master vampire has put a spell on her that warns off any would-be suitors and wonders if the attraction between them is real or the result of magic.

2 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0451461525, 0143204661

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,131,238 books! | Top bar: Always visible