A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find by Kelly Bowen

A Good Rogue Is Hard to Find

by Kelly Bowen

William has an eccentric mother, and he has become worried about her behaviour. Little does he know that she carefully cultivated her eccentricity to hide her crusading activities on behalf of those unfairly treated by the nobility. She does this with the help of a woman she sometimes describes as her paid companion, Jenna, together with the rest of her unusual staff. William decides to move into his mother's house to keep an eye n her and gradually uncovers all of her and Jenna's secrets.

An outlandish plot as usual, but filled with excellent characters. I liked William and his mother very much and the Duchess' staff were endlessly entertaining. I'm not sure that the way the Duchess and Jenna were going about their crusade was the way I would have chosen myself, but anyway... ( )
  pgchuis | Feb 8, 2017 |
This is the second novel penned by Kelly
Bowen, and let me tell you that she is really good at wrapping a moral lesson into an engaging story without sounding preachy.

This book continues with characters we met in I've Got My Duke To Keep Me Warm, so I recommend you read that book first. In the first book, our eccentric Dowager Duchess of Worth helped battered spouses, and in this book she is helping destitute members of the trade community who have been forced into the poor house by members of the ton.

Our heroine in this story, Jenna, is another tortured heroine who has risen from her circumstances and determined to save others from the same fate. She is acting as the Dowager Duchess' companion during a dinner party turned fiasco when the Duchess' son, the Duke of Worth, arrives and announces he will be moving into the Dower house due to his mother's increasing eccentricities. As you can imagine, such an occurrence could reveal the Duchess' ruse and unravel all their plans. So it will be up to Jenna to keep this from happening. I really liked Jenna - she was a strong heroine who acted as she felt it was morally right when doing so came with great risk to herself.

Through Jenna, Worth realizes that he has been woefully blind to misdeeds committed by his peers on undeserving members of the community. She opens his eyes to suffering and wrongdoing, and Worth realizes that he wants to help. This leads to a sweet love story, for all that it carries much deception.

This book had a lot of depth. There were moments of hilarity given the Dowager Duchess' antics, and moments of extreme sadness when faced with the circumstances of the lower societal classes. The story highlights the disparity in laws of the time, and paints what is most likely a realistic picture of the way things were in Regency England.

In addition, we get what we normally expect from a period romance including balls, gossip, scandals, and money-grabbing husband hunters. Pair that with the sweet love story that transcends class lines and some steamy moments between the sheets, and you have another winner from this rather new author. I am looking forward to continuing this series with Worth's sister and the Earl of Boden in You're the Earl That I Want.

I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. 4 stars / 2 flames. ( )
  Bambi_Unbridled | Mar 19, 2016 |
I got this book free from a goodreads giveaway.

I really liked this book. The author made and wrote a good story. I enjoyed taking my time with it. ( )
  tianicolle | Jan 26, 2016 |
Read for Fun (Library)
Overall Rating: 4.25
Story Rating: 4.00
Character Rating: 4.50

First Thought when Finished: A Good Rogue is Hard to Find by Kelly Bowen was a little lighter than the first book but still held an emotional wallop of a punch!

Quick Thoughts: Kelly Bowen landed on my must have/must recommend list with this book. If you follow me on twitter or FB--you have heard me recommend her to anyone who will listen. She proved with Jenna and Will (and the Duchess) that she can mix comedy, suspense, and emotion while keeping the historical context of the novel on point. I had a bit more fun with this one because that was who Jenna and Will were as people. That being said the intensity of the situation coupled with more coming out about the Duchess still made the emotional side of this story rich. So without giving anything away I will just leave you with this: you will come out of this wishing there was a spin-off for the staff :)

*sigh* In other words if you love historical romances then just get these already cause I am giving nothing away!

Part of my Read It, Rate It, File It, DONE! Reviews ( )
  thehistorychic | Sep 22, 2015 |

From Amazon.com

HE THOUGHT HE'D SEEN IT ALL . . .

. . .

UNTIL HE MEETS HER

He's tall, dark, and damnably intelligent-unfortunately for Jenna. She and the duchess are in the "redistribution business," taking from the rich and giving to the poor, and it's going great - until he shows up. But even as William plots to make an honest woman out of her, Jenna will use all her wiles to reveal just how bad a rogue he can be . . .

The rogue's life has been good to William Somerhall: He has his fortune, his racehorses, and his freedom. Then he moves in with his mother. It seems the eccentric Dowager Duchess of Worth has been barely skirting social disaster-assisted by one Miss Jenna Hughes, who is far too bright and beautiful to be wasting her youth as a paid companion. Now home to keep his mother from ruin, William intends to learn what's afoot by keeping his friends close-and the tempting Miss Hughes closer still.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,596,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible