One Today by Richard Blanco

One Today

by Richard Blanco, Dav Pilkey (Illustrator)

I liked the book "One Today". The book is an illustrated edition of the poem written for President Obama's second inauguration. The literary devices employed throughout this book add richness to the poem. The repetition of the word "one" goes throughout the book bringing its message together. Additionally, I enjoyed the illustrations. They are bright and optimistic, reflecting the mood of the poem. The big idea of this poem is togetherness.
  may_tay_kay | Apr 30, 2016 |
This book is much more serious than a typical children's book. This piece is a non-fiction historical poem that was written for the second inauguration of President Barack Obama. This book is a great way to open up kids minds and see how we all live and exist together. We all look at one sky and live in one world and today is just one today. The illustrations were beautifully done using bright colors to excite and cooler colors to represent the proper mood. The story line is strong and clear to understand. ( )
  CrystalBrooks | Mar 8, 2016 |
ONE TODAY is a picture book adaptation of Richard Blanco’s amazing poem written for President Barack Obama’s second presidential inauguration.

Blanco’s poem tells the story of a day in America from early morning through night.

Best known for his comic series such as Captain Underpants, Dav Pilkey brings the poem alive through his vibrantly painted illustrations.

Librarians will find this picture book to be an excellent read-aloud book.

To learn more about the poet, go to http://richard-blanco.com/.

Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers, an imprint of Hachette on November 3, 2015. Review copy courtesy of publisher. ( )
  eduscapes | Dec 14, 2015 |
Richie’s Picks: ONE TODAY by Richard Blanco and Dav Pilkey, ill., Little Brown, November 2015, 40p., ISBN: 978-0-316-37144-5

“It took me four days to hitch-hike from Saginaw.
I’ve come to look for America.”
-- Paul Simon, “America” (1968)

“And so, tomorrow, as we take the campaign south and west, as we learn that the struggles of the textile workers in Spartanburg are not so different than the plight of the dishwasher in Las Vegas, that the hopes of the little girl who goes to the crumbling school in Dillon are the same as the dreams of the boy who learns on the streets of L.A., we will remember that there is something happening in America, that we are not as divided as our politics suggest, that we are one people, we are one nation.
And together, we will begin the next great chapter in the American story, with three words that will ring from coast to coast, from sea to shining sea: Yes, we can.”
-- Barack Obama, January 8, 2008, after winning the New Hampshire Presidential Primary

I’m a big fan of President Obama. I had an unforgettable experience ten years ago, while attending the American Library Association Annual Meeting in Chicago. Late that Saturday afternoon, then-Senator Barack Obama delivered the convention’s keynote address. I loved what he had to say and, to put it mildly, I could tell that the guy was going places.

“All of us as vital as the one light we move through,
the same light on blackboards with lessons for the day:
equations to solve, history to question, or atoms imagined,
the ‘I have a dream’ we keep dreaming.”
-- from “One Today”

ONE TODAY is the inspiring poem written for President Obama’s second inauguration by Richard Blanco, and delivered at the inauguration. Through the magic of YouTube, we can travel back to January 20, 2013 and watch Mr. Blanco deliver the poem again. I encourage you to do that. ONE TODAY traverses a day in America, taking us across the breadth of the country as millions work, study, and play. In addition to hopes and dreams, the poem also contains a notably sad moment: a reference to the twenty Sandy Hook school children who were killed just five weeks earlier.

Years before seeing Senator Obama speak in Chicago, and before watching Richard Blanco on television delivering this poem, Dav Pilkey wrote and illustrated a wonderful picture book, THE PAPERBOY, subsequently named a Caldecott Honor book. I keep a copy of it on my bookshelf. ONE TODAY brings the beloved creator of Captain Underpants back to the memorable picture book painting style I recall from back then.

Dav Pilkey’s illustrations in ONE TODAY are done in acrylics and India ink. His vision of the Blanco poem follows us through the day of a multiracial family: a mom, a girl, a boy and the family cat. We see traffic and commerce, apartment buildings and green hills, rivers and snowflakes, and the moon shining down upon the land and the water. There are dancers and shadows and chalk drawings on pavements. We see characters reading and running and feeding the birds. Spread after spread, these paintings with their intense hues remind me of the Dav Pilkey I first knew. It is great to see this side of him once again.

I remember being a young child and having our teacher tell us about the poet--Robert Frost--who had recited a poem at the president’s inauguration. I learned back then that poetry could be much more than a few short rhyming verses. Thanks to ONE TODAY, today’s young people will have a wonderful, illustrated example of the power and beauty of poetry.

Richie Partington, MLIS
Richie's Picks http://richiespicks.pbworks.com
BudNotBuddy@aol.com
Moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/middle_school_lit/ ( )
  richiespicks | Jul 31, 2015 |

Richard Blancoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pilkey, DavIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed

One Today is a poem celebrating America.

President Barak Obama invited Richard Blanco to write a poem to share at his second presidential inauguration.

That poem is One Today, a lush and lyrical, patriotic commemoration of America from dawn to dusk and from coast to coast.

Brought to life here by beloved, award-winning artist Dav Pilkey, One Today is a tribute to a nation where the extraordinary happens every single day.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 30 Jul 2015 04:48:34 -0400)

A lyrical, patriotic commemoration of America from dawn to dusk and from coast to coast written in honor of President Barack Obama's second presidential inauguration.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,332,635 books! | Top bar: Always visible