No More Worlds to Conquer: Sixteen People…

No More Worlds to Conquer: Sixteen People Who Defined Their Time - And…

by Chris Wright

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher. I ended up rather liking the book as it is a good exploration of the different paths that some rather remarkable people took in life. I do wish the author had spent less time on what made each extraordinary early in life (though for a few of them this was necessary as I did not know who they were) and instead had spent a little more time on the specifics of what they did later in life. Still, it was a good, worthwhile read. ( )
  austin.sears | Aug 2, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book sets out to investigate what high achievers did after the high achievement. If its merit rests on that story, I'm afraid it falls short. The simple truth is that for most of the subjects of these narratives, the story of the achievement is far more interesting than what came next. Most of these people are not masters of the Art of Living. Not that the afterwards has nothing to tell, but there isn't much of a complete book in it.

There are exceptions, Bill Anders life story is perhaps the most interesting and rich. But in answering the What next? question, Wright necessarily recounts the events that led to the inclusion of the individuals in this book in the first place. Those, of course, are interesting stories.
  stellarexplorer | Jul 30, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The premise of this book is fantastic! What do you do with the rest of your life after your major accomplishment is done. I loved the stories contained within. The story on Russ Erwin and the Sandakan survivors was fascinating. I had never heard of Sandakan prior to this book. The moonwalkers and the Apollo 8 stories were great for me since I remember following those missions when I was a kid.

I wish the book had pictures, especially of the people that were mentioned in the book, then and now shots would really have helped. Photos of the X-1 and B 29 bay,the Yeager's, The 1966 statue of the English footballers and other plaques house at Edwards. I know I can look these up on the web. I think they would have been a nice addition. Possible, that my early bird copy did not have the pictures included, if they are in the book my apologies. ( )
  foof2you | Jul 30, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has an interesting premise: what do people do after they've attained a once-in-a-lifetime success? The successes (and the stories) vary, in fields such as sports and space and sea exploration. The reactions range from a yearning for normalcy to taking up a quest for future exploration to helping others repeat their achievements. Worth the time. ( )
  ridgeclub | Jul 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
No More Worlds to Conquer is an enjoyable read. Mainly filled with brief biographies on a diverse group of interesting people, and what they did after their biggest achievements. It's probably not a surprise that people that are so focused on doing incredible things continue to be incredible even after society has decided what they'll be remembered for. With many of the stories it was often much more exciting what they had accomplished once the pressure to be great was gone. Fun book. ( )
  dkcampbell | Jul 3, 2015 |

What do you do with the rest of your life, after you've achieved brilliance at an early age? This is the question posed by celebrated-journalist Chris Wright to some of the most renowned adventurers, athletes and politicians of the twentieth century. What happens if you are an athlete or gymnast and your career peaks at 14, like Nadia Comaneci, who scored the first perfect 10 in Olympic competition and the second, and the third, fourth, fifth, sixth and seventh. What is the next challenge for the likes of adventurer Reinhold Messner, when you have climbed all the really tall mountains? Where do you take your career, when you've achieved the impossible and walked on the moon? In this far-reaching and illuminating book, Chris Wright travels the globe, talking to Apollo astronauts, record breakers, world leaders and prisoners of war, people whose defining moments came early in their life, and asks a rare but captivating question: what happened next?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Chris Wright's book No More Worlds to Conquer was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,404,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible