Maximum Interval Training by John Cissik

Maximum Interval Training

by John Cissik

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
*I was given a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review*
It has taken me a long time to get this review up. I felt this book was very complicated for someone who is working out at home to stay in shape. There is a LOT of information in this book, much of it someone like myself has no use for. This book is very much geared for someone who makes fitness their life and profession. The title is a bit misleading, though on the cover in red letters under the cover are the words "High-intensity training for elite performance". That should probably be included in the title.

As far as the content goes there is a ton of information to go through. Many examples of training using different equipment (body weight, medicine balls, sprinting, ropes, suspension, kettlebells, sandbags, stability balls, sandbags, and even some boxing) and how to do foundational and advanced exercises with them. Where this book got a bit over my goals was where it got into program design and all the testing protocols. It seemed overly complicated, but if you are, in fact, training an athlete this is the stuff you need to know.

There are sample workout programs set up for American Football Players, Women's Soccer training, weeks to improve a specific lift, power-training, speed-training, precompetition and competition, endurance for marathons, quickness and agility training, tactical training (law enforcement, firefighter, military) and then total-body conditioning. And lots of preparation period training and macrocycles for the programs.

I am sure I can use some of this information in my own workouts, but it's much more than I would really need. Certainly geared for personal trainers and professionals. ( )
  CinderH | Jan 27, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the best Human Kinetics book I have seen so far. It is exactly what I want to focus on this year - especially this winter as I live in a colder climate. There are a lot of great items, and as other reviewers mention it is on the more advanced side.

For those who like interval training, want to push themselves, and measure progress, this is a great book. I really want to emphasize the content and pictures, they did not overdue the background/theory, so they could really give details on the workout. ( )
  tomrnoonan | Nov 6, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A thorough treatment of this exercise technique is given in this book.

Much of this is advanced, meaning you're going to want to build up to this with some basic exercises over a period if you're out of shape.

The theory is given a short treatment in chapter one. Following that we jump right in to the exercises, including bodyweight, sprinting, medicine balls, heavy rope, suspension, kettlebells, sandbags, bands etc.

The layout is fine. The photos are executed well, wish they were in color and used more models (there's only two or three pairs used throughout) but with this many exercises it's understandable they might want to keep that cost low.

What I really enjoy, and you often don't see in these books, is Part III, which gives you concrete ways to objectively interpret your progress. Well thought out.

Using this book in conjuction with a a well balanced diet, you would most definitely see significant performance results. ( )
  readysetgo | Sep 22, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is for the serious trainer and/or bodybuilders. With that said, even the serious athlete will appreciate the pictures and steps that illustrate the various exercises one could do in order to improve health and wellness. A great addition to any athlete's home library. ( )
  karenweyant | Sep 12, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Although I think Maximum Interval Training is aimed at the serious body builder and athlete I found it quite interesting from a semi couch potato perspective. Quite motivational in getting you to analyze your abilities through fairly straightforward measurements. A good part of the exercises can be performed without heavy equipment, that is either just your body or a medicine ball, kettlebells or even improvised weights (sandbags). I would recommend it for anyone wanting to improve their strength, especially if you want to do it independently and at home. ( )
  BryanWilson | Aug 27, 2015 |

Utilizing overlooked equipment like heavy ropes, suspension devices, and sandbags, Maximum Interval Training offers a proven plan for developing power, strength, explosiveness, quickness, and agility. It features 148 exercises for athletes and serious strength and conditioning enthusiasts alike.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

John Cissik's book Maximum Interval Training was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,234,915 books! | Top bar: Always visible