I'm Not Just Gifted: Social-Emotional…

I'm Not Just Gifted: Social-Emotional Curriculum for Guiding Gifted…

by Christine Fonseca

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book and even shared some of its contents with our school's gifted teacher. I personally love when books give you resources that you can use within the classroom. ( )
  sara1022 | Oct 17, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am a high school teacher and have a gifted third-grader of my own. I can definitely say there is a need for this book, as so many of our gifted kids are out of sync with their peers socially and emotionally. That's why I requested this book from Early Reviewers and was excited to get it.

I have dabbled in the book with my own child a bit and can see how some of the lessons can definitely make an impact. Our elementary school does some pull-out work, and I could see these lessons being of use there. Honestly, some of the lessons could be adapted to and beneficial for the gen-ed classroom as well. As with anything in this age of test 'em till they drop, finding the time will be key. I plan to pass the book on to my daughter's school counselor when I am done with it. ( )
  swingdancefan | Sep 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Some of our most gifted students are not able to function within the confines of a standard classroom experiences. Exercises and concepts in this book are meant to be used to raise their awareness of their own needs and encourage success. The contents of this book can be adapted to suit any modern education setting and provides much needed support for those seeking to engage and instruct gifted students on the way their brain work and how they can find the footing at school. ( )
  JKennethJ | Sep 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book appears to be geared toward the emotional well-being of kids labeled as "gifted". I work as a math and science tutor to several of these kids. With parental approval, I worked with the kids in my advanced math group. A couple of the lessons were a little confusing as to what the goal was. For example, the first handout is about "gifts". The students are asked to come up with typical traits with thinking, feeling, and behaviour. One of my groups a 5th and 6th grader had fun using a thesaurus to come up with the biggest words they could to express themselves and then laughing uproariously when they compared their answers.
This book may work better for the school counselor than in the GE (Gifted Education) room in the school. ( )
  luvrunnin | Jul 28, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was under the impression that this was for an older set of students, but I still found the information interesting. The focus is self awareness and taking care of your emotional needs. I think this would be beneficial for all students and not just gifted students. All students deal with being overwhelmed it is just out goft s students that are the ones who manifest this feeling outwardly. ( )
  ALoyacano | Jul 21, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 161821425X, Paperback)

What does it mean to be a successful person? What traits and characteristics define successful people? Why do gifted children, in particular, need a strong affective curricula in order to maximize their potential? These questions and more are explored in this guide to helping gifted children in grades 4-7 as they navigate the complicated social and emotional aspects of their lives. This curriculum is designed to help gifted children explore their giftedness, develop resiliency, manage their intensities, face adversities and tough situations, and cultivate their talents and passions. Including lesson plans, worksheets, and connections to Common Core State Standards, I'm Not Just Gifted is the practical guide necessary for anyone serving and working with gifted children.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 04:14:05 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Christine Fonseca's book I'm Not Just Gifted: Social-Emotional Curriculum for Guiding Gifted Child was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Christine Fonseca is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,680,211 books! | Top bar: Always visible