The Predictions by Bianca Zander

The Predictions

by Bianca Zander

This is the story of a small group of people living in a commune in New Zealand beginning in 1978, with the story continuing through 1989. It is told in first person by one of the children of the commune, Poppy, telling about what it is like to live in the commune and how she and the six other children were raised. Which seemed to be fine until a visiting hippie woman came in and gave all the children a "Prediction" of each of their futures. Unfortunately these predictions played a negative part in the rest of their lives.
My Opinion: I enjoyed this book, it caught me right up in the story of the commune living, and the way it was written kept me wanting to read more. However, in the end I really wanted it to have had a little more drama or mystery or....something. It was good, but not quite good enough. It is a book that I think I will remember because I didn't know too much about day-to-day commune living and I liked learning about that. But I don't know if I will always remember how the book ended. ( )
  TerriS | Jan 17, 2016 |
*** I RECEIVED THIS BOOK FREE FROM GOODREADS FIRSTREADS ***

I was hesitant to start this book because I wasn't sure I could get into the whole commune thing. I surprised myself. It only took me a day to read it because it completely sucked me in. This book is beautifully written and the characters are easy to like/dislike. I loved Poppy's story and was happy it ended the way it did. Looking forward to reading more from this author. ( )
  born2read731 | Nov 9, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Poppy grew up in the seventies living in a commune in rural New Zealand. Her unusual upbringing provided many bizarre opportunities including a divination ceremony that gave predictions to each of the seven children. As they reach adulthood Poppy and her boyfriend Lukas leave the commune to try their luck in London. As Poppy deals with Lukas's tumultuous music career, her prediction never strays far from her mind. This is a well written book and I like the way it explores how parenting philosophies, especially the extremely strange ones, have long lasting effects. I liked Poppy and Lukas and how they dealt with their childhood traumas but I found myself a little stressed out by their relationship and mistakes. I also didn't get Poppy's obsession with her prediction. I did enjoy reading this book though, and after a fast read, it ended well. I received this book from a LibraryThing giveaway in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  LissaJ | Sep 25, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Predictions is a coming of age story about a group of people living in a commune-like area.

Poppy is a central character who makes bad decisions throughout her life. Lukas, Poppy's on-again, off-again lover/husband, is a sell-out rock star. Secondary characters aren't as well-developed by the author, but are mentioned frequently.

The plot is a bit blah, and the characters are not very well-rounded. Overall, the story is a quick read, but is very predictable.
  weaselmama | Sep 19, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I did not enjoy this book at all, but I believe it is because I expected it to be something other than it was. Based on the description I was given, I thought it would be more about the experiences on the commune. In actuality, this book is basically an everyday romance with a weird twist thrown in at the end. ( )
  bookaholicgirl | Aug 17, 2015 |

From the author of the acclaimed The Girl Below comes a stunning novel of one woman’s attempt to outrun the destiny that is predicted for her, moving from a remote New Zealand commune in the waning days of 1970s free-love experimentation to the heady music scene of 1980s London.

Gaialands, a bucolic vegan commune in the New Zealand wilderness, is the only home fifteen-year-old Poppy has ever known. It’s the epitome of 1970s counterculture—a place of free love, hard work, and high ideals…at least in theory. The reality is complicated and sometimes fraught, especially as its children reach adolescence. Poppy is drawn to handsome sixteen-year-old Lukas, who’s increasingly skeptical of Gaialands and the adults who shape its rules.

To help ‘heal’ the commune’s energy, new arrival Shakti harnesses her divination powers in a Predictions ceremony. All of Gaialands’ teenagers receive a card outlining their futures. Poppy, predicted to find her true love overseas, joins Lukas when he follows his dream of starting a punk rock band first in Auckland and then on to London, where punk has given way 80s pop and hair metal. Struggling simply to survive as they navigate the city’s squats, pubs, and burgeoning clubs, she and Lukas drift apart. Poppy finds a life that looks very like the one her prediction promised, but is it the one she truly wants? And if not, can she define her own happiness, even if it takes her in unanticipated directions?

The Predictions is a mesmerizing, magical novel of fate, love, mistakes, and finding your place.

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:59:10 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Bianca Zander's book The Predictions was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,925,396 books! | Top bar: Always visible