For Your Love: A Blessings Novel by Beverly…

For Your Love: A Blessings Novel

by Beverly Jenkins

The small town community of Henry Adams is a welcoming place that opens their arms to others in need. The people of the town seem like one big family and they always look out for one another. Even though I had never read any of the previous novels in the Blessings series before I didn’t feel confused by any of the former plot lines or the numerous characters that were presented in the novel.

I enjoyed reading the intersecting stories of the townspeople and the ability to view each situation that was taking place in the book through various points of view. This way you got to see both sides of the story. The characters are lovable and each person is going through their own struggles and they work through their problems with the help of others in order to overcome their obstacles.

I couldn’t, however, feel any sympathy towards neighboring mayor of Franklin (Astrid). I know that she was supposed to be the “villain” character of the story, but she just seemed so evil and hateful. Even when people tried to reach out and reconcile peacefully with her, she would just turn the other way.

I appreciated the strong theme of family that is the central theme of the novel as well. Trent is presented with the dilemma and the emotions of not knowing his biological mother, newcomers Bobby & Kiara are budding new parents with twins, and so on and so forth. The most important message that Jenkins presents in the book is that even though the people of Henry Adams come from different backgrounds, the sense of community brings them together as one. It just goes to show that you don’t have to be related to one another, in order to be a family. ( )
  Rlmoulde | Nov 25, 2017 |
This is the sixth book in the Blessings series, which follows the residents of Henry Adams, Kansas, a small town originally founded by freed slaves.

I didn’t realize it was part of a series when I picked it up. And once I had it in my hands, I was reluctant to put it aside to go back to book one in the series, so I went ahead and read it. Jenkins gives several clues as to how these people came together, and some of the things that have happened in the past, so I felt I had a reasonably good understanding of the town dynamics.

I liked that things don’t always go smoothly, but that – for the most part – the characters react realistically. And then there’s Astrid Wiggins, a/k/a “Seabiscuit.” She is the stereotypic “bad guy.” More than stereotypic, she is a caricature, a cartoon character, so evil and unreasonable in her hatred and vindictiveness that she’s totally unbelievable.

On the whole, however, it was an enjoyable, quick read. It reminded me of both the Miss Julia series by Ann B Ross, and the Harmony series by Philip Gulley – both of which I love. And now I think I will go back to the first book in this series and learn more about these characters. ( )
  BookConcierge | Sep 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Beverly Jenkins has written over 30 books (including 5 in this Blessings series), but this is the first I'd read - and it was delightful. It sort of reminded me of Maeve Binchy books I've read - just about a small community and focusing equally on a bunch of different people and their parts in the cohesive whole of a town. I really enjoyed it. Will definitely read more. ( )
  cransell | Jan 10, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I have been reading the “Blessing” series since the first book and I encourage you to start at the beginning of the series; it picks up from where the last book left off. I really love this book series. Jenkins keeps your interest with a wonderful story line, humor and wit in the ‘Blessings’ series and you will want to keep turning the pages to find out what is going to happen next to these well-developed characters that touch the heart in Henry Adams, Kansas.

Henry Adams is the fictional town founded by Black people in the 1870’s. But, Jenkins is always giving a history lesson with background information we can research and read for ourselves.
The characters are well developed, strong positive characters with lots of love and the plots keep you interested. This equal’s excellent reading.
I look forward to the next book about Henry Adams, Kansas. I get excited every time I learn a new book is coming out. I hope Beverly Jenkins continues to write about these characters. I am never disappointed with any of her novels. I look forward to the next installment! ( )
  altima313 | Dec 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I love this series! No matter what nasty things happen to the residents of Henry Adams, KS they are still loving and supportive to each other, helping when others have hard times and the head do-gooder is Ms. Bernadine Brown. But don't think that Ms. Brown is a push over, no siree.

Bernadine Brown may have millions and has worked tirelessly to help the residents in he town she bought but she makes them earn every blessing by working together.

This time we see a young couple who were friends of Bernadine's adopted daughter who because of a disadvantaged upbringing are battling to stay afloat with their young offspring. They come to town at the invitation of the friend and find not own a well-paying job but a home to live in and a truck to get them around.

In the meantime, Mayor Trent July is informed that his birth mother has come o see him. Ms. Brown has to deal with the mayor of Franklin, the next town over, who is jealous of the success and revitalization of Henry Adams and whose mean spirit has the HA residents welcoming refugees.

I look forward to the next visit to Henry Adams, Kansas. ( )
  cyderry | Sep 23, 2015 |

"Beverly Jenkins returns to Henry Adams, Kansas-an unforgettable place that anyone would want to call home-with a story of family, friends, and the powerful forces from our past that can irrevocably shape our future"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Beverly Jenkins's book For Your Love was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,597,011 books! | Top bar: Always visible