Tainted Waters (The Cassie Stories) (Volume…

Tainted Waters (The Cassie Stories) (Volume 2) (2015)

by Leah R. Cutter

English (22)  French (1)  All (23)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Leah Cutter's writing never ceases to amaze me. The pictures shelashings and tales that she weaves just suck me in completely.

Cassie is back, and this time she's "assisting" the police through her girlfriend, Sam, to find a bomber. What she discovers is a cult trying to raise Cthulu. Can she and Hunter release Posiedon and stop them before it's too late?

*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.
  UrbanAudreyE | Aug 14, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great read. A little confusing as this is Volume 2, but that is a minor issue. Loved the story and the premise - mixing paranormal with mythology.
The story was strong, enjoyed meeting all of the characters. Be prepared - some foul language and sexual content. ( )
  TeriA-M | Jul 21, 2017 |
Meh. Wasted time. ( )
  autumnturner76 | Jan 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wish I'd realized this was book 2 sooner: I spent a whole lot of time being very confused! Intriguing world, a couple of interesting characters. I'm curious enough to maybe go back at read book 1, especially since I've enjoyed other stories by Leah Cutter, but I'll say that unlike previous books which I've read nearly cover-to-cover, I think this book had kind of weird pacing due to the interspersed larp sequences. In hindsight, I probably could have skipped them and not missed much story, and they felt like they just slowed the pacing down and introduced characters who I didn't know enough about to care about them. Definitely not my favourite from Leah Cutter, although the premise is interesting enough to shine through some weird cutscenes. ( )
  terriko | Oct 4, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A rather depressing book, though it ends on a better note. I haven't read the first Cassie book, and I'm mildly interested in doing so; I'm more interested in seeing where she goes from here. The world is intriguing, the threat is _weird_ (both the actual threat and the angle it comes from), the characters are a bit hard to take. Cassie's screwed up her life pretty badly, and knows it; she spends rather too much time focusing on all the dead ends before her. And I don't think her relationship with Sam is all that healthy (though it may improve, now that she's not coasting. Assuming she doesn't!). Hunter is more broken than he appears to be at the beginning - I thought he was just handling things from a weird angle, but he's really not fully functional. Still the best warrior, but he seems mentally rather too fragile. And what's to become of him? He's still/again a fugitive at the end of the book... I found it hard to find anyone in the book I really wanted to read about - Steve was probably the most stable person there, and he's pretty peripheral. A lot of interesting detail on the Blessed and how different sorts of powers work; meddling by various gods (some left over from the previous book, some new in this one); way too much brooding about messed-up lives and how there was no way out. Glad I read it, will look for the next one and perhaps the previous one, but unless the series gets a lot brighter I don't think I'll reread. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Sep 9, 2015 |
Gary paused, then said with extreme seriousness, “Have you considered taking Cthulhu as your lord and savior?”

A terrorist bomber threatens Minneapolis during the run-up to the Aquatennial. None of the Post-Cogs can get a fix on him: whenever the bomber arrives, the timelines get corrupted. Cassie has other problems, too. No one will hire her because of how she came into her abilities. Her life of bliss with her girlfriend Sam has soured. She's even fighting with Chinaman Joe. When Cassie discovers that the bomber moves like Hunter, the vet who claims ghosts taught him, she'll have to invoke the Norse gods—as well as any others who are listening—to stop the madmen determined to raise the dreaded Old Ones and create Hell on earth.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Leah R. Cutter's book Tainted Waters was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Leah R. Cutter is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,555,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible