Underwater Restorations: A Sunken City…

Underwater Restorations: A Sunken City Capers Novelette

by Jeffrey A. Ballard

841,035,133 (3.75)None

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A quick read for your Sunday! This futuristic short story follows Isa and her crew of thieves as they plunder sunken homes for artwork to sell on the black market. It’s a very unique plot and the characters are fun to get to know. I wished it could’ve been longer! I’d love to see more of the friendship between Puo and Isa at play.

My main problem with it is that I had trouble reading Isa as a woman, since it's in first-person we aren't immediately aware of her gender. I had to deliberately put myself in her shoes to try and get the desired reading so it was always a little off.

While I understand short stories often have to jump right in without setting up the plot, the author’s cold-open left me completely in the dark. I really needed some background to understand what was going on. Some of this may have been for intrigue and suspense but I was just confused so these techniques didn’t work for me. I did remedy that by re-reading the beginning so all was not lost, but a little more detail would’ve been appreciated! (maybe it's that I just prefer novels to short stories)

Now that I do know what’s going on, I hope there are more tales from the sea because it feels like the author is just getting started with this story. I’m excited to see where this will go! ( )
  Lib-books | May 2, 2016 |
What a delightfully original romp, featuring three of the most instantly likeable nare-do-wells to come along in a while. Isa Schmidt is the reluctant daughter of the boss the man who runs all the criminal activity in Atlanta and the leader of the group, Puo is a safecracking genius and the pilot of the Seagull/Pelican and Winn is Isa's maybe lover and the rookie on the team a surgeon who was sued for malpractice. It's the setting eighty years after the mega quake that left thousands of major cities and even whole states underwater that creates the basis for the underwater recovery of priceless jewelry and art. The fact that this activity is also highly illegal is what makes this story so original. I am so looking forward to joining the crew of the Pelican for more action packed fun. ( )
  epweil | Feb 9, 2016 |
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I really loved this book and it's characters. They were well developed with a great action packed storyline. Well done and a great read. ( )
  thicks | Aug 23, 2015 |
Interesting premise of having a thief who steals precious art that has been submerged due to global warming and other ecological events. The conflict was pretty well developed as was the conclusion. It wasn't quite for me, but I'm sure other readers would enjoy this book. ( )
  dmoitzh | Jul 17, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Jeffrey A. Ballard's book Underwater Restorations: A Sunken City Capers Novelette was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Jeffrey A. Ballard is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,593,249 books! | Top bar: Always visible