The Dragon Chronicles by Ellen Campbell

The Dragon Chronicles

by Ellen Campbell (Editor)

Other authors: David Adams (Contributor), Alex Albrinck (Contributor), Daniel Arenson (Contributor), Elle Casey (Contributor), K. J. Colt (Contributor)7 more, Nina Croft (Contributor), Ted Cross (Contributor), Terah Edun (Contributor), Monica Enderle Pierce (Contributor), Chris Pourteau (Contributor), Vincent Trigili (Contributor), Kim Wells (Contributor)

Series: The Future Chronicles (5)

3 EXCELLENT stories(1/3 of text);1 OK:4 for completists;2 w/series that don't exist yet.

THE DRAGON CHRONICLES (The Future Chronicles): An Anthology of Speculative Fiction, edited by Ellen Campbell, consists of 12 stories by various authors, 6 of each sex, with brief afterwords by each, and is currently selling at $5.99 for 284 pages. My taste, when it comes to dragons, is for J.R.R. Tolkien, and Ursula K. Le Guin, not Anne McCaffrey. The Free Sample for Kindle has story synopses at the front, so you can check them out for yourself.

"Ten Things You should Know About Dragons", by Elle Casey, is a long, boring lecture. Without any plot spoilers, dragons are this person's life; tricky; dangerous; practical jokers; they stink; they're usually hot; greedy; FTT (with a sonic boom…); nearly impossible to kill; loyal. If you want more info (say, if you're a fan of the author's "War of the Fae" series, and a completest), you can read it. I'd say, skip.

"Of Sand and Starlight", by Daniel Arenson, starts off with very rude language, and a catfight. Erry (starting out as secondary character in THE DRAGON WAR, first part of a trilogy set in the kingdom of Requiem) is a whore (for food or shelter, never money), a starving, suicidal dockrat, and shape-shifting dragon (like everyone else in the occupied city who dare not shift). Only soldiers are allowed to shift, so… (This is in the synopsis, so it can't be called a spoiler.) That's it. This story is a prequel to THE DRAGON WAR, so if you're a completist, this is for you. Otherwise, skip.

* "Tasty Dragon Meat", by K. J. Colt, is a cautionary tale. You are what you eat! Full of human interest, this enjoyable story ends on a note of hope. It is available separately, at $2.99 for 52 pages.

"Transparency", by Alex Albrinck, is something that would appeal to Anne McCaffrey fans. Propriety and eugenics win the day. There is a total LACK of transparency. For myself, I'd say skip.

"Sacrifice", by David Adams, is about a dragon that can not accept death. Contrelemus is a character in the series REN OF ATIKALA. This is another story for completists only.

"It's Time to Change", by Terah Edun, is about a dragon who can't shape shift into dragon form (So, how is he a dragon, except by parentage? He looks human.), or access magic, and is therefore picked on, and has an attitude problem. The land of Sahalia, where he's from, in the world of Algardis, is referred to in all the author's high fantasy, and will be highlighted in a new series. For completists only.

* "Dragon Play", by Ted Cross, shows four Viking children that you should let sleeping dragons lie! I won't spoil it by revealing more. This one's a keeper.

* "A Diversion in Time", by Nina Croft, is enjoyable space opera. There's a mixture of species, including a werewolf, vampire, telepathic dragon… and a wormhole in time. Turns out this story is connected with a series called "DARK DESIRES [but I found it on Amazon listed as the BLOOD HUNTER series], because absolutely anything can happen. It's a combination of science fiction, suspense, paranormal, and romance, and follows the adventures, romantic and otherwise, of the crew of the Blood Hunter [the name of the spaceship]. …Dragons first appeared in book 4, TEMPORAL SHIFT." This story takes place AFTER book 5: FLYING THROUGH FIRE, which is not finished yet. I usually avoid anything labeled "romance", but I think I might make an exception…

"The Book of Safkhet, Chronicler of the Journey, Mistress of the House of Books", by Kim Wells, has various religious allusions, Egyptian and Biblical, essentially incorporating into the plot "the structure of the Christian Bible backwards from Revelations to Genesis", without being proselytizing. (I'm an atheist.) This story is envisioned as the introduction to a novel as yet unwritten. I found it meh.

"Grey", by Chris Pourteau, is lackluster. I very much enjoyed his outstanding conspiracy-theory story "The French Deception", so I was prepared for a treat. Alas. The last dragon must save a little girl who has been his friend when her village is attacked. Or not.

"The Storymaster", by Vincent Trigili, is a story-within-a story. Both the story and the framing story are about dragons. The author calls it a "prequel" to a series (THE SILVERLEAF CHRONICLES) that has not yet been begun! That is a misuse of the word. Prequels are written AFTERWARDS. This could be an introduction, or even a prelude. I might try reading more in this series, once it exists, if the first volume were offered free.

"Judgement", by Monica Enderle Pierce, is the longest story in the book, a Spaghetti Western, written with dialect/substandard English here and there. It is, according to the author, part of the Bonesteel Saga, which does not seem to exist.

So, the final count is: 3 EXCELLENT stories (about 1/3 of the text), which I have marked with stars in front of the titles; 1 that's OK; 4 for completists only; 2 with series that don't yet exist. One of the excellent stories is available separately for $2.99, which I'd call pricey, half the price of this book, $5.99. You decide whether it's worth the money. I'd say, get it at the library, except that since it's all indie authors, chances are that you won't FIND it at the library. If you love any of the associated series, and HAVE to have it, that's different. Or perhaps wait for a price drop. 3 stars.

I received a free ARC from the publisher, just a few days before the release date, for the purpose of giving a prompt honest review. If you have found anything helpful, please remember the "Yes" button. If you are a fan whose mind was already made up (or have a connection with the publisher/an author), and who is indignant that I have not enjoyed your favorite story/-ies, please respect my HARD WORK (I'll also be sending a complimentary list of corrections to the publisher, so you can hopefully enjoy an error-free book.), and refrain from mass down-voting simply because our opinions differ. I reviewed a similar anthology recently, and it discourages serious unbiased reviewers from putting in the effort, only to be treated that way. ( )
1 vote Wordwizardw | Apr 24, 2015 |

Pourteau, ChrisContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Trigili, VincentContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wells, KimContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Peralta, SamuelForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Dragons. They are more than a memory from an age of wizards and heroes. These winged, fire-breathing beasts soar through the traditions of many lands, and through our dreams. In their many guises – Western or Eastern, reptile or lizard or serpent, wyvern, hydra, basilisk – dragons embody everything that we humans call magic. In this volume of the acclaimed ‘Future Chronicles’ anthology series, twelve authors invite you to journey to very different worlds – lands of fire and fury, of legend and lore – but all worlds where dragons roam unshackled from myth, freed from the imagination, and real. “The Dragon Chronicles” features stories by bestselling authors Elle Casey (War of the Fae), David Adams (Ren of Atikala), K.J. Colt (Klawdia), Terah Edun (Courtlight), and Daniel Arenson (Dragonlore) plus seven more of today's most visionary authors in fantasy and speculative fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 04 Jul 2015 10:09:57 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,571,102 books! | Top bar: Always visible