Pepper & Poe by Frann Preston-Gannon

Pepper & Poe

by Frann Preston-Gannon

I wish I wrote this book! I love the two-cat jealousy/confusion idea that a kid with a new baby in the house could relate to, and this is so charming. The facial expressions of Pepper and Poe are adorable and expressive. The illustrations are unique. All and all, a super fun & creative picture book. There is tongue-in-cheek blame happening in this story, which may perturb adults, but I think it's pretty funny and innocuous. It sort of reminds me of the ending of a cheesy 70's-80's sitcom. Children tend to have the best sense of humor, right? ( )
  libheroine | Jun 5, 2017 |
Pepper & Poe is ideal for teaching children about cat behavior specially when a smaller one comes along. Also about the value of friendship and giving others a chance to get to know them.
  jenmarin09 | Dec 5, 2015 |
My OH and I have been cat lovers ever since we got married, which is why I can’t resist entering any book giveaway which is offering a book about cats, and how I came to receive this hardcover book through a GoodReads giveaway. The following is my honest opinion for it.

Ms. Preston-Gannon has done wonderful in teaching her young readers what might happen when a new cat enters a home where an older cat already lives. I know this to be the case since we’ve gone through this three times, once when we adopted a second cat and twice to replace a cat which had died. And just like in the book, we’ve experienced how the older cat accepted its new companion but only until a certain point.

While the illustrations here help its reader in visualized what’s happening, the only drawback for the book is the black background the author/illustrator has decided to use for the illustrations; which is why I giving this book only 4 STARS. ( )
  MyPenNameOnly | Sep 4, 2015 |
When the new kitten, Poe, comes to live at Pepper's house, Pepper is not happy. Poe follows Pepper everywhere and even takes his ball of yarn! Every day of the week gets worse - until Sunday when they discover that they have something in common - dislike for the dog!

In a story told primarily in illustrations, Fran Preston-Gannon's minimalist approach featuring big-eyed cats on an expansive black background make it easy for readers to follow all the action as Pepper tries (in vain) to escape from the new kitten. Kids will love the illustrations and adults will enjoy the understated humor,

"I love you!"
"Okay, that's enough now ..."

Pepper & Poe can be enjoyed as a simple cat story, or as a symbolic new sibling story. New siblings, however, don't have the luxury of an enemy dog against whom they can rally! ;)

http://shelf-employed.blogspot.com ( )
  shelf-employed | May 5, 2015 |

Maurice Sendak Fellowship Award Winner Frann Preston-Gannon makes her US picture book debut with this hilarious yet touching story about two soon-to-be sibling cats, Pepper & Poe.

Pepper is an old cat. He's set in his ways, and used to his normal routine in the house that he rules--or thinks he rules, anyway! Yup, he's got everything down to a science, including how to manipulate the house dog. That is until a new kitty named Poe comes along and starts messing up everything! Can Poe get Pepper to accept him as part of the family?

This hilarious story reinvents the age-old new sibling topic with a furry twist, taking an emotionally heavy subject and masking it with humor--all while reinforcing the days of the week! Frann Preston-Gannon, the 2011 Maurice Sendak Fellowship Award Winner, makes a stunning US picture book debut with her unique, eye-catching artwork and clever use of text.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 31 Jul 2015 12:50:41 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,000,481 books! | Top bar: Always visible