The Bassoon King: My Life in Art, Faith, and…

The Bassoon King: My Life in Art, Faith, and Idiocy

by Rainn Wilson

Clever but not precious autobiography by a truly original thinker. Humble and self-deprecating yet also searingly honest, Wilson is a delight. His quick wit and offbeat perspective is familiar to folks who follow him on Twitter, but so rarely do those bite-size observations translate into book-length coherency -- yet Wilson more than pulls it off. The chapters on _The Office_ are a must-read for any fans of that show, but the book goes far beyond and beneath Wilson's most famous character. I hope he writes another one! And I hope Mindy Kaling writes the forward! ( )
  jenspirko | Apr 6, 2016 |
When I read a celebrity biography/memoir, I'm happy to just get to hear about their upbringing, how they found success, and fun stories from their lives as celebrities. It helps when said celebrity is on a show I love, The Office, and I get to hear insights into the show. THE BASSOON KING did all of those things well and Rainn Wilson can tell a really good story. The book brought some much more, though, that I didn't even expect. Wilson looks at faith, art, love, and honesty and how those qualities are all entwined into a single being and he writes about how he is always delving deeper into how they all work together as one soul. He approached most things in his life with a passion and commitment and with patience, a lot of failure, and with a wonderfully supportive spouse, he found his way to LA, The Office, and the remarkable life he gets to lead now.
Coupled with a lot of spirituality and self-discovery, I also found myself laughing out loud often. From his vagabond youth, to his years living the seedy life of a struggling actor, to making it as a celebrity, Wilson has some great stories to tell. He has a knack for opening up the mind of the reader with a profound thought, be it an acting discovery, a faith-based challenge, or finding love, then dropping some sort of self-depreciating humor to balance the seriousness.
THE BASSOON KING is a fun read that will give the reader more than expected and I suggest it to everyone. ( )
  EHoward29 | Mar 20, 2016 |
105 pages in and I'm throwing in the towel on this one.

I enjoyed reading about Wilson's experiences in the Baha'i Faith, and I relate to his culture shock transferring from an average public high school to a tony one (although he had a very different experience of Model UN than I did).

But the lists of sitcom sidekicks of the 70's and alt-rock albums of the 80's didn't really do it for me. Nor did his periodically writing in the voice of Dwight Schrute. Maybe if I'd hung out with the drama kids more in high school and college this would seem more amusing to me. Instead, it just feels distancing.
  ImperfectCJ | Jan 28, 2016 |

Rainn Wilson’s memoir about growing up geeky and finally finding his place in comedy, faith, and life.

For nine seasons Rainn Wilson played Dwight Schrute, everyone's favorite work nemesis and beet farmer. Viewers of The Office fell in love with the character and grew to love the actor who played him even more. Rainn founded a website and media company, SoulPancake, that eventually became a bestselling book of the same name. He also started a hilarious Twitter feed (sample tweet: “I'm not on Facebook” is the new “I don't even own a TV”) that now has more than four million followers.

Now, he's ready to tell his own story and explain how he came up with his incredibly unique sense of humor and perspective on life. He explains how he grew up “bone-numbingly nerdy before there was even a modicum of cool attached to the word.” The Bassoon King chronicles his journey from nerd to drama geek (“the highest rung on the vast, pimply ladder of high school losers”), his years of mild debauchery and struggles as a young actor in New York, his many adventures and insights about The Office, and finally, Wilson's achievement of success and satisfaction, both in his career and spiritually, reconnecting with the artistic and creative values of the Bahá’í faith he grew up in.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 31 Aug 2015 08:54:59 -0400)

A comedic memoir by the actor best known for his portrayal of Dwight on The Office traces his experiences as a young misfit, his early career struggles and his post-success reconnection with the artistic and creative values of his Baha'i faith.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,409,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible