Evil Games by Angela Marsons

English (7)  Italian (1)  All (8)
I found the first book, Silent Scream, OK, but the story in Evil Games is so much better. And, Kim Stone that sometimes annoyed me in the first book didn't annoy me at all this time, on the contrary, I came to like her.

A rapist is killed by his victim, but this open and shut case feel wrong for Detective Kim Stone. Before the woman killed her rapist did she have a session with her psychologist. could it be that the psychologist planted the thought about the killing? And, if so, why would she do that? Kim Stone and her team must also put a child molester behind bars, but it seems that the man in question wasn't alone...

It was easy to get into this book and I think that you don't need to read the first book to be able to enjoy and keep up with what's going on. What I liked about this book was that I found the story interesting from the beginning not like with Silent Scream where it took me around half the book to get into the story. There are some very tragic and intense moments in this book. Kim Stone is still a very special character, she doesn't let people into her life, but there are moments in this book when she lets down her guard a bit.

I didn't expect the ending in the child molesting case, I felt totally left in the dark until it was revealed. I didn't for a moment suspect that it would turn out as it did.

It's a dark book, with some really nasty scenes and some really nasty people. Thankfully it also had some bright moments and it good to see that Kim starts to open up to Bryant.

Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Apr 14, 2017 |
Wow, if you though Silent Scream was good, wait until you read this - in my opinion it's even better.

There are several cases that need investigating by DI Stone and her team, one involving a father sexually abusing his children, and a number of others including, rape, murder, beatings, arson and attempted filicide that bring them into contact with Dr Alex Thorne. While most people take Alex Thorne at face value, something niggles with DI Stone and that leads her into avenues she might wish she'd never gone down.

The plot lines were clever, engaging and definitely kept me reading to see what happened next, including a clever twist in the sex abuse case that I never saw coming. However what I really loved and what made it better than the first book for me, was the development of the characters. We get to see a little bit more of Kim Stone, hard, feisty but encumbered with her own demons. In this book she starts to engage with the world just a little bit more than before, starting with Barney. Her relationship with Bryant, is also a joy, their understated friendship and banter adds a comic element to the book which is a balance against the darkness of the cases being investigated. The rest of her team are also starting to develop their own characters which makes the books more than just another police procedural as it adds another dimension.

I'm delighted to read that Angela Marsons has just signed another 4 book deal - I'll definitely be in the queue to read them. For anyone who hasn't read the previous book, Evil Games could be read as a stand alone, but it does hark back to things in DI Stones past that feature in Silent Scream.

I received an ARC via NetGalley in return for an honest review ( )
  Jilldoyle | Mar 27, 2016 |
The second outing for DI Kim Stone and her team and bostin' one it was too. In Evil Games, Kim is pitted against Socipathic Alex, a woman who believes to have found in Kim a kind of ultimate toy for her game of manipulation and perhaps the only person she feels a worthy adversary.

This is a departure from the first story, in that during Silent Scream you were kept guessing until the end just who it was that was committing the murders. In Evil Games, much akin to a good episode of Columbo, you know from the outset who dunnit and why. There are difficult themes touched upon, such as the ongoing story of child abuse which runs alongside the main murder investigation, and a serious sexual assault, neither of which are dealt with in too graphic detail but are well written and give the reader just enough. With Alex working hard to distract Kim and to get to the reason behind her outwardly hostile persona, you question whether Kim will ever find the truth.

The team are perhaps featured less in Evil Games as it is very much a battle of wits between Kim and Alex, with only Kim able to see beneath Alex's carefully crafted veneer to the empty soul within. They contribute enough though, with Stacey pushed out into the field and Dawson back to his man whoring ways. The investigation pushes Kim to the limits and you are right there with her as she fights to keep her past buried, just the way she likes it.

The prose is well crafted as ever, often taking you into the minds of the two women, and there are still enough surprises and turns to keep the story moving at a fast pace. We know also know much more of the trauma Kim suffered in the past, and why it is she has so hard a time communicating with others and yet understands perfectly those who struggle to communicate themselves. Kim is as stoic and detached as ever but there is a small moment of softness when she opens up to Bryant, introducing him to her brother. And there's an unexpected addition to her family, showing the world just how unlike Alex she truly is.

Another excellent book - looking forward to reading the third instalment. ( )
  Spicewalker | Feb 19, 2016 |
Angela Marsons is one of my finds of the year. Her Detective Inspector Kim Stone is a very interesting character but then so are the various members of her team. The setting is England's Black Country, and these are police procedurals with a real edge.

If you are wondering whether you should read these books in order, then the answer is definitely yes, and this is #2 in the series.

As in SILENT SCREAM Kim Stone shows herself as a defender of those who have been damaged or manipulated by others, particularly by those who have no conscience. Her own past makes her well aware of the forms that psychological damage can take. She herself is still suffering from her past, and this makes it difficult for her to make friends or let others into her life.

Someone is playing mind games and Kim herself comes close to being broken.

An outstanding read. ( )
  smik | Nov 19, 2015 |
I only started Angela Marsons' D.I. Kim Stone series 4 days ago, but I am quickly becoming a huge fan. Evil Games was even better than Silent Scream. I found the plot about psychological manipulation absolutely riveting. Dr Alex Thorne was a tremendous villain and pure evil. It was also great to see the character of Kim develop and open up to a certain extent. I love the interactions between Kim and her team. Just brilliant writing. Now on to Lost Girls, book 3. I'm hooked! ( )
  Pet12 | Nov 10, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,081,557 books! | Top bar: Always visible