Polarity in Motion by Brenda Vicars

Polarity in Motion

by Brenda Vicars

I received this book from the generous author, who asked me to review it.

This is one of those books that I just could not put down. I stayed up last night until it was done. I was drawn into Polarity's story from page one and I just had to know what happened next. This girl's life changed in an instant and there was nothing she could do to control the whirlwind of events that happened to her. In addition to the lack of control over the situation, she also had a sort of lack of control in her private daily life outside of school dealing with a parent with a condition that made things very chaotic at times. What struck me most throughout the entire book was how Polarity didn't just sit back and take things and didn't mope around feeling sorry for herself. She stood up for herself, she investigated, and when things started going south for her friend, she did the same thing. I also really love the message about inequity involved in Polarity's road to self discovery. I definitely see this as a great way to reach out to teens and teach some valuable life lessons. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
Something to Note: I received this book via the Publisher for an honest review.
The Characters: Polarity is such a strong-willed, tough girl whom I definitely look up to now after reading this book. When something happens to her she works hard to get through it and she doesn’t take pity on herself, which is really nice to see. She has a tough life with her mother having borderline personality disorder, but I feel like Polarity deals with that hardship really well. She is just a character that I really enjoyed reading about and she continued to grow through the book (which is something I love to see).Ethan is a side character, yet has a lot to do with how the story goes along. At first, I didn’t have an opinion about him because he didn’t show up much, but after I a while I started to really enjoy him. He did some really smart, helpful, amazing things throughout the book and I just thought he was a little too hidden through the book.
I have to talk about Polarity’s mother– she was just a hard character to like. I feel like with her disorder she was so misunderstanding to what was happening with Polarity. I know that her disorder caused her to feel this way (and I honestly don’t know much about the disorder), but I felt like it was so much and I felt so bad for Polarity. Her mother did start to pick up throughout the book and in the end I really enjoyed her character.

My Thoughts: I really enjoyed this book it was nice to see character growth in a book because recently I haven’t read many books that have had that. What Polarity went through, I couldn’t imagine anyone going through it, yet alone a 15 year old. Throughout the book I kind of thought what was going on was a little crazy for fifteen, but hey, sometimes it does happen. That idea was just a little hard for me to fathom.I feel like I am reiterating the same thing over and over, but the reason I truly fell for this book is due to the character development. Each character is wonderful and brings so much to the story. Whether the character stays throughout the whole entire book or just there for a few chapters they kept you intrigued and made you want to keep turning those pages.
Brenda did a great job at keeping you engaged with every turn. I loved the fact that you weren’t expecting what was coming. Every new thing that happened was a shock — lately books have been so predictable and this book definitely veered from that.

Why is the half star missing?: The reason I didn’t put it up to the 4.5 range is because the whole concept of this happening to a fifteen year old just blew my mind. I know that it is completely possible, but it’s just something throughout this read I couldn’t wrap my head around. Another reason is because Polarity’s mother throughout the book kind of brought my mood down and made me upset. Lastly, I wish Polarity tried harder on a certain thing (which I won’t say because it’ll spoil some things) — but I wish she put more effort in.
One Line Wrap Up: Engaging story about the struggle of high-school bullies, a not-so perfect life and friends you never knew you had — soon molding your life into something that makes you smile…everyday. ( )
  erica_novelink | May 5, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,618,182 books! | Top bar: Always visible