The Girl with Seven Names by Hyeonseo Lee

The Girl with Seven Names (2015)

by Hyeonseo Lee, David John (Author)

Recently added bySadieBabie, Rose98, Yak_Litsy, private library, siobita, SpencerC22, jandjmiller, DanDiercks, Oryphany

English (16)  Spanish (1)  All (17)
Lee Hyeonseo begins to question very early the propaganda that engulfs her in North Korea. As she sees everyone around her struggle in their daily lives and the “great leader” stay well-fed and fat, she decides to cross the river to China. That moment of curiosity of what lies across the river soon becomes a life-changing decision that leads her to a very difficult path to freedom and the loss of what she once believed was the reality of her North Korean world. ( )
  creighley | May 10, 2018 |
That was an easy, informative read. Instead of the stereotypical uh, gryffindorish defector of my imagination, Lee's more of a Slytherin. Good! Thank god because I can't stand Gryffindors, with their "bravery" and "idealism," ugh. She's cunning, even through her naivety. haha, and my god was she naive! Well, being a teenage North Korean of one of the... docile? classes will do that. ( )
  Joanna.Oyzon | Apr 17, 2018 |
A must read to understand the mind-set of North Koreans, especially in the US's current situation with North Korea. What I found astounding is how early the brainwashing starts and the picture in the Kindergarten classroom of a North Korean soldier bayoneting 3 enemies! ( )
  andsoitgoes | Nov 18, 2017 |
This book should be compulsory reading.

Hyeonseo's sympathetic yet clear-eyed portrayal of life inside North Korea is eye-opening.

We all need to read this book because we need to understand the mindset of North Koreans.

We all need to read this book because we need to understand the plight of illegal immigrants.

We all need to read this book because we all need to understand how hard it is to permanently live somewhere that is not your home and without your loved ones and friends.

(And it's well written too.) ( )
  devilish2 | Aug 8, 2017 |
A North Korean defector's story
  jhawn | Jul 31, 2017 |

Hyeonseo Leeprimary authorall editionscalculated
John, DavidAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
(Prologue) I was awoken by my mother's cry.
(chapter 1) One morning in the late summer of 1977, a young woman said goodbye to her sisters on the platform of Hyesan station and boarded the train for Pyongyang.

As a child, Hyeonseo Lee was one of millions indoctri
nated in N Kprea by the world's most secretive and brutal regime. And yet, having survived the chaos, starvation and repression of the Great Famine, she dared to escape to China in 1997 aged just 17. Knowing reprisals for herself and her family would be lethal if she returned, this lonely, vulnerable teenage immigrant tried to make a life for herself on the run.She discovered that a life with no identity, no reason to exist, was no easier than life inside N Korea. Now an acclaimed international campaigner, her brave and remarkable voice testifies to past horrors, and offers the most truthful account of ordinary life in N Korea.

In 1997 the author, aged 17, escaped North Korea for China. Her mother's first words over the telephone to her lost daughter were "don't come back". The reprisals for all of them would have been lethal. Twelve years later she returned to the North Korean border in a daring mission to spirit her mother and brother to South Korea in a very costly and dangerous journey. This eloquent book offers the first credible account of ordinary life in North Korea and gives an extraordinary insight into the life under one of the world's most ruthless and secretive dictatorships.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,541,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible