The Lopsided Christmas Cake by Wanda E.…

The Lopsided Christmas Cake

by Wanda E. Brunstetter

Very disappointing. Sometimes the writing seemed very.....childish. I expect more from Wanda. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Jan 3, 2016 |
Not My Favorite Brunstetter Novel...

This is the first book I have read by Wanda Brunstetter that also has a coauthor, her daughter-in-law. Together, the Brunstetters spin a yarn about two 32 year-old single twins who are suddenly on their own, taking over the house and store of their recently deceased grandparents. Elma is a hard worker, but also very particular in how things should be done. Thelma is very social, loves to entertain children rather than work in the shop, but is also very brave and good with the twins' newly inherited, wily horse.

On a whim, Thelma decides the girls should enter a baking contest in Shipshewana. All should be fine except for two things; the girls are still battling the cranky cookstove their grandparents left behind, and they will have to assemble the cake on stage, in front of everyone. A minor detail Thelma omits to tell Elma until the last minute. When shy Joseph Beechy convinces his cousin, Dell Gingerich, to bid on the girls' disaster of a cake, the twins meet and start dating the two best friends.

This appears to be a stand-alone book, which causes a few issues for me. While the twins's characters were fully developed, I was hoping for significant growth in at least one of them. The ending seemed rushed and pulled together with basting stitches instead of the small, intricate stitches for which the Amish are known. Worth reading, yes? Could it be a great book in others' eyes? Read others' reviews. Probably.In my mind, it just did not live up to the warm, fuzzy feeling I usually have when I finish a Wanda Brunstetter book.

I gratefully received a copy of this book from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Becky_L | Oct 4, 2015 |
The Lopsided Christmas Cake by Wanda E. and Jean Brunstetter is a charming Amish novel. Elma and Thelma Hochstetler have just inherited their grandparent’s home and store in Topeka, Indiana. Instead of selling their inheritance (which is what their mother wanted) the girls decide to move there and make a go of it. The girls are twins and thirty-two years old. When they arrive at the home, they find the house in a deteriorated condition. The house is going to need a lot of work to bring it up to snuff. Elma is all about order, making lists, and working. Thelma tends to be a little scatterbrained (flighty), would prefer to have a little more fun than work.

The house needs more work than the girls anticipated and they seem to have mice. Thelma wants to let in a cat or two to take care of the problem, but Elma has something against the cats. Elma finally relents because she hates mice worse than cats. While shopping in Shipshewana, Thelma notices a flyer for a cooking show. Each item will be demonstrated and the final product auctioned off. Proceeds go to the Amish community medical fund (they do not have health insurance). Thelma, without Elma’s knowledge or consent, enters them to make their grandmother’s Christmas cake. They will have to make it using the homes wood stove which neither of the two ladies are used to using.

While shopping in Shipshewana, Thelma meets Joseph Beechy. Joseph is owns a harness shop is LaGrange. He is a timid man with a dog named Ginger. During another trip, Thelma runs into Delbert Gingerich. Delbert is a woodworker. He is very outgoing and competitive. Elma, Delbert, Thelma, and Joseph see each other again at the cooking demonstration and auction. Joseph has Delbert bid on the girls cake (the demonstration does not go well and the cake is lopsided). The four of them start spending a lot of time together getting to know each other. It would be perfect if each girl found the right man at the same time (thanks to a childhood agreement between the two of them). Will it be happily ever after for the four of them?

I found The Lopsided Christmas Cake to be a cute story. I liked Thelma who is outgoing, friendly, and full of life. Elma was not as likable a character at first (she grows on you in time), but I did understand about her migraines (we seem to have the same type). I did not understand Elma’s dislike for cats which was mentioned frequently throughout the book (it got a little annoying after a while). The book is written in a good style that makes the book just a breeze to read. I liked that there was no foul language, violence, or sex in the book (which is so prevalent in our culture). This is a book that will put a smile on your face especially after you read the ending. I give The Lopsided Christmas Cake 4 out of 5 stars.

I received a complimentary copy of The Lopsided Christmas Cake from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. The review and opinions that I express are strictly my own. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Sep 1, 2015 |
Title: The Lopsided Christmas Cake
Authors: Wanda and Jean Brunstetter
Publisher: Barbour Publishing, Inc.
Reviewed By: Arlena Dean
Rating: Four
Review:

"The Lopsided Christmas Cake" By: Wanda E. Brunstetter & Jean Brunstetter

What I liked about this novel...

I found this a interesting short,enjoyable fun novel about Thelma and Elma Hochstetler who were Amish Girls...identical twins...with a promise that they made to each other...Now, what will happen after they inherit their grandparents house and shop...hours away from the area that they grew up?

What will happen when one of the twins [Thelma] gets involved in a charity cake auction and starts dating Joseph? What will happen between Elma and Delbert[who was a friend of Joseph]? What problems will this caused between the twins as they are so set in their ways? I will say the twins really had me laughing when they cooked! I did find this read rather predictable but still a good and quick read that will all work out in the end. Plus the reader will get the recipe for Grandma's Christmas Cake which does seems like a good one. Would I recommend this novel? Yes! ( )
  arlenadean | Aug 15, 2015 |

"Join the Hochstetler twin sisters on stage as they bumble their way through baking a cake for a charity auction in front of a live audience. The take-charge Elma and the klutzy optimist Thelma manage to entertain their audience-and attract the admiration of two bachelors, an outspoken woodworker and a shy harness maker from a neighboring Amish community. As fall leads into the Christmas season, could romance be blossoming for one or more of the Hochstetler twins? Find out in this brand new romance from New York Times bestselling author Wanda E. Brunstetter, writing with her daughter-in-law Jean Brunstetter."-- Publisher annotation.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,992,358 books! | Top bar: Always visible