The Christmas Joy Ride by Melody Carlson

The Christmas Joy Ride

by Melody Carlson

5720207,436 (4.21)3

The Christmas Joy Ride by Melody Carlson is a fun and heartwarming holiday story. Joy has planned a trip across country--one problem--she's 85 years old. Problem solved--Miranda, out of work and soon to be out of a home, agrees to go with her neighbor in a Christmas decked out RV! Let the adventure begin. Joy has plans to bless several people along Route 66 and it's a long way from Chicago to Phoenix in the middle of winter. Will they be able to miss the storm headed their way? Joy tires easily, how in the world can an 85 year old drive a huge RV? Can Miranda learn on the fly? A sweet story of Christmas blessing and hope.
I received a copy of the book from a contest and was not required to give a review. The opinions are my own. ( )
  Anne_Rightler | Nov 29, 2016 |
SO many feels for this book! I requested this book thinking that it would be a wonderful 'chick-lit' book for me to read during the holiday season, and it was. It was absolutely everything I wanted it to be and more. The story is beautifully written following an 85 year old woman named Joy and her neighbor, Miranda, a much younger woman who has fallen on some rough times.

Over the course of a week they drive down Route 66 to award Christmas Prizes to various people along the way. Joy wants a Christmas hurrah before moving to assisted living and Miranda isn't sure what she is after but goes along anyway.

The tales of the people that win these prizes are sad yet the book makes the experience heartwarming and Joy is an adorable character - very grandma but VERY spunky. Miranda is down but as the holiday can do, she begins to come around.

This book made me laugh, it made me freak out, it made me cry - everything a good Woman's fiction book should and I loved every second of it deeply. ( )
  sszkutak | Sep 28, 2016 |
What a delightful Christmas book! Melody Carlson creates a giving spirit as she relates this darling story of an elderly woman, Joy and her younger neighbor friend, Miranda. The two head out on an adventure full of fun, excitement, and fulfillment. Miranda is at a crossroad in her life and Joy points her to possible paths as they travel the highways. Joy has plans and with Miranda along they become reality. The true meaning of Christmas follows them at each destination.

The Christmas Joy Ride put joy in my heart. It's been added to my collection of Holiday books and I will bring it out every year to re-read. I definitely recommend it.

I was given a copy from the Baker Publishing Company through Net Galley for my honest review. ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
I love stories about travel and friendship. Joy is taking a trip from Chicago to Phoenix in her RV. She is leaving her home in Chicago and moving in to an assisted living center. Her family expect her to fly, but she has other ideas. Her friend Melanie decides to travel with her so she doesn't have to travel alone.
I loved seeing the adventures that they got into along the way and all the interesting people that they meet. I would love the chance to go on a trip like this with someone to keep me company and to do things with along the way. This book was an easy read that kept you wanting to see what they would encounter next.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher to review. ( )
  polarmath | Nov 30, 2015 |
I am a big fan of Melody Carlson, especially her Christmas novellas. Each successive one that I read is my new favorite, and that proved true with with The Christmas Joy Ride. Combining a fun duo spreading Christmas cheer with a trip down the famous Route 66, this book will kickstart your holiday spirit.

Joy Jorgensen is the 85 year old dynamo behind the Christmas with Joy blog. Facing a new chapter in her life and a cross-country move to be close to her sons, Joy enlists next-door neighbor Miranda to assist her in bringing a special Christmas blessing to 6 contest winners. Miranda is facing her own closing chapter as well. Divorced, unemployed, and soon to be homeless, Miranda is short on the holiday spirit, but agrees to accompany Joy on an RV adventure mostly to ensure Joy’s safety. Road blocks and bad weather, obstacles and unforeseen events beset the women as they bring blessings to those who have little cheer in their lives.

I loved the premise of this book — bringing unique and personalized Christmas celebrations to those whose hope is fading. Joy chose a nursing home, a rehab center, a struggling diner owner, a foster family, a salon owner battling cancer and a motherless girl whose father has quit celebrating Christmas. With each stop, people are blessed with her generosity and determination to make everything perfect just for them. The Christmas Joy Ride made me rethink the acts of kindness and charity that I routinely do. Should we act routinely or with fresh enthusiasm and personalized action? Joy’s character is inspired, but it is Miranda who grows in her attitude towards life. There is a bit of romance in the book that I thought was perfect as well. This book may be short in pages — 168 — but big in impact. I loved it and highly recommend it!

Highly Recommended.

Audience: adults.

(Thanks to Revel for a review copy. All opinions expressed are mine alone.) ( )
  vintagebeckie | Nov 29, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0800719670, Hardcover)

Miranda did not put adventure on her Christmas list, but thanks to her eighty-five-year-old neighbor Joy, that's exactly what she's getting this year. When Joy tells Miranda that she plans to drive an old RV decked out in Christmas decorations from their Chicago neighborhood to her new retirement digs in Phoenix--in the dead of winter, no less--the much younger Miranda insists that Joy cannot make such a trip by herself. Besides, a crazy trip with Joy would be more interesting than another Christmas home alone. Unemployed and facing foreclosure, Miranda feels she has nothing to lose by packing a bag and heading off to Route 66. But Joy has a hidden agenda for their Christmas joyride--and a hidden problem that could derail the whole venture.

No one captures the heartwarming fun of the Christmas season quite like Melody Carlson. Fasten your seat belt, because it's going to be an exciting ride!

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:08:36 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,069,103 books! | Top bar: Always visible