The Hidden by Heather Graham

Historian Scarlet Barlow is working in the Estes Park Colorado at a small museum attached to a B and B. Shortly after the Civil War was a man and his wife murdered there and the murderer was never caught. Now it seems that the history is repeating itself and Scarlet calls in her ex-husband, FBI agent Diego McCullough when the police start to question her about pictures on her camera. It seems that she had pictures of the murder on her camera, pictures that then disappeared. Is she involved in the murders or is she in danger?

Both the cover and the blurb made me eager to read this book and for most of the book was the story really good. I liked the characters, Scarlet and Diego was a good couple, the still cared about each other and this case was what they needed to clear the air about why they divorced. Diego and his colleague Brett has just joined Krewe of Hunters, a unit that deals with “unusual” situations like this. So when Scarlet calls Diego they come to her aid.

My problem with the book came at the ending, it was too cliché. I had hoped for a more paranormal touch to the story. Some blood vengeance or something and in the end it was something as mundane as…well I won't give that away. But I was disappointed because I felt that this could really, really be a new series for me to read. This was the first book I had read and I just loved the idea of a paranormal unit in the FBI dealing with ghost and zombies and other creatures.

I liked the book, but I did not love the book. But, I will read more since I think the idea is so fascinating. I just hope for books with a better endings.

I received this copy from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review! Thank you! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 10, 2017 |
From Amazon:

Can the same killer strike again—a hundred and fifty years later? Estes Park, Colorado, is a place of serenity. But it wasn't always so serene. Shortly after the Civil War, Nathan Kendall and his wife were murdered there, leaving behind a young son. The crime was never solved.

Now…historian Scarlet Barlow is working at a small museum attached to a B and B, the same building where that murder occurred. She recently came to Colorado, reeling after her divorce from FBI agent Diego McCullough. Diego—who's just been asked to join the Krewe of Hunters, a unit dealing with "unusual" situations. When Scarlet unwittingly takes pictures of people who've been murdered—just like the Kendalls a hundred and fifty years before—the police look at her with suspicion. Then the museum's statues of historic people, including Nathan Kendall, begin to talk to her, and she knows it's time to call her ex-husband. Diego heads to Estes Park, determined to solve the bizarre case that threatens Scarlet's life—and to reunite with the woman he never stopped loving.

My Thoughts:

This book brought back memories to me of earlier Heather Graham books in this series that I really enjoyed. It seems there was a period of time where the series dragged and each book was exactly like the last except for the characters. The Hidden has all the paranormal aspects of the first books. I enjoyed the story and the characters, especially Daniel the ghost. There were enough plot turns to keep me guessing and enough action and chemistry to keep me turning pages. I'm so glad that this series has had a shot of adrenalin and kick-started it back to the great series that it started out to be. 4.5 stars. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
After a miscarriage, the heroine made a spontaneous and regretful decision to divorce the love of her life and flee the state. Now, she lives in the Colorado mountains-in the town home to The Shining hotel. Life is quiet and calm and the heroine finds herself rather at peace until everything shatters. While photographing some wildlife, she captures the unexplainable images of dead bodies. Horrified by what she's seen and disturbed by the fact that they disappeared as fast as they appeared she suddenly finds herself wanted for questioning by the police. Stunned and afraid she doesn't hesitate to call on her ex husband- a man who she still loves with all her heart and someone who she knows she can count on 100%. The hero understood why his wife left him but that doesn't make the separation any easier. Perhaps he was too patient-too complacent with the divorce because the idea of her afraid and alone makes him leap on a plane and fly off across the country to help her. Just having him near and close to her again makes her confident in the idea that everything will work out-that everything will be alright. That's just the type of man the hero is. He's someone people rely on and his confidence and manner of which he carries himself is very comforting. She instantly realizes that she made a horrible mistake with letting this man go-a realization she always knew in her heart but pain had made her react harshly. Surrounded by the tension of a serial killer in the tourist town and the ghosts haunting the heroine, trying to warn her that danger has come for her- the hero and his team do what they do best-solve paranormal murders. I knew what I was going to get before I started reading this book and it did turn out to be pretty much an actuate prediction. When an author this popular and someone who publishes the amount of books she does a year- they are unfortunately destined to become formulaic and cookie cutter in style. The story was very basic and completely not suspenseful. The dialogue had the characters talking at each other rather than ever truly communicating. The saving grace of this book was the brief interactions between the hero and heroine. I saw glimpses of something true and deep in their relationship but unfortunately they were so not the focus of the book. And I also saw no resolution to their problems at the end of the book. The hero is still a cop- will be still absent more often than he present so what does she think is going to change? At the end, I was glad it was over and I have no plans to read any more of the series in the near future. ( )
  Eden00 | May 14, 2016 |
Book 17 of The Krewe of Hunters was very good. It is in line with the other books of this series having a group of the Krewe called in for some murders although this time they are called in because the ex-wife of Diego is a murder suspect. As always, interesting things are happening at the Conway Ranch & there are lots of suspects.

If you like Heather Graham, and I love her books, and you have enjoyed the Krewe of Hunters series I think you will like this one as well. ( )
  DunnFunKat | Oct 16, 2015 |
The Hidden offers what one may expect from a Krewe of Hunters book: ghosts, history, beautiful scenery, tour tips, and hot romance.

This time it's Estes Park, Colorado and the Stanley Hotel. Our prologue involves a 19th century couple named Nathan and Jillian Kendall. Nathan was a former Civil War Confederate soldier who turned robber for awhile, but quit when one of his gang (all ex-Confederates) killed a man during a robbery. He found his peace in Colorado, where he bought a ranch from a man named Rollo Conway and married a U.S. Marshal's daughter. They had a baby son, Zachary, but the time trouble struck.

The Conway Ranch is now a B & B [Bed & Breakfast] and museum. It was bought and restored by one of Nathan's descendants and his wife. Our romantic heroine, Scarlet, is another descendant of Nathan. (His son had 14 children. There are about 200 descendants. If that seems a lot to you, my oldest aunt [97 this year] is a great-great grandmother with over three dozen direct descendants. Who knows how many there'll be over a century from now?)

Our romantic hero is Scarlet's ex-husband, Diego. He turned down an offer to join the Krewe, but accepts in a hurry when Scarlet calls to say she's in trouble (spooky trouble).

There's a serial killer in them thar mountains. Can the ghosts of the slain help prevent more deaths?

There's a nifty murder device in one chapter. Most of the guests flee the Conway Ranch after the first bodies are discovered. Loved the reactions from the five who stayed when the Krewe holds a seance and the spirits are active.

We also learn why Scarlet divorced Diego. Of course this case is bringing them back together. Theirs is not the only romance in the book. I'm happy for the other couple.

Dog lovers are out of luck.
Cat lovers will have to settle for behind-the-scenes barn cats. (Until the Krewe shows up, they provide the ranch's only security, and pretty limited security at that.)
Horse lovers will enjoy Blaze, Zeus, etc. ( )
  JalenV | Oct 15, 2015 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0778317587, Mass Market Paperback)

www.eHeatherGraham.com

Can the same killer strike again—a hundred and fifty years later?

(retrieved from Amazon Wed, 08 Jul 2015 16:16:29 -0400)

"Can the same killer strike again--a hundred and fifty years later? Estes Park, Colorado, is a place of serenity. But it wasn't always so serene. Shortly after the Civil War, Nathan Kendall and his wife were murdered there, leaving behind a young son. The crime was never solved. Now...historian Scarlet Barlow is working at a small museum attached to a B and B, the same building where that murder occurred. She recently came to Colorado, reeling after her divorce from FBI agent Diego McCullough. Diego--who's just been asked to join the Krewe of Hunters, a unit dealing with "unusual" situations... When Scarlet unwittingly takes pictures of people who've been murdered--just like the Kendalls a hundred and fifty years before--the police look at her with suspicion. Then the museum's statues of historic people, including Nathan Kendall, begin to talk to her, and she knows it's time to call her ex-husband. Diego heads to Estes Park, determined to solve the bizarre case that threatens Scarlet's life--and to reunite with the woman he never stopped loving."-- Page [4] of cover.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,724,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible