Keeping Christmas: A Novel by Dan Walsh

Keeping Christmas: A Novel

by Dan Walsh

2715402,159 (4)4

Christmas isn't always full of joy and family. Keeping Christmas is a warm story of an empty nest couple. I could identify with Judith as she struggles with a very different holiday season. Stan and her best friend strive to enliven the weeks prior to Christmas and breathe life into Judith. Have you encountered those years when the jolly spirit is lost on you? When tears fall instead of the oohs and aahs of the bright lights fill your heart?
Dan Walsh writes beautifully of the meaning of family connections, traditions, endings, and beginnings. A great one to add to any Christmas collection.

I recommend Keeping Christmas and was given a copy by Revell Reads for my honest review. ( )
  sh2rose | Sep 6, 2016 |
A solemn story about two empty nesters who celebrate Thanksgiving for the first time without their kids and face spending Christmas without them as well. Stan isn't much bothered by the upcoming holiday until his wife, Judith, shows signs of serious depression - won't decorate the house, etc. The story comes to an obvious if somewhat unrealistic resolution but at least it makes the effort of portraying the grief of empty nest syndrome, especially around the holidays. ( )
  bookappeal | Jan 3, 2016 |
I really enjoy reading books from Dan Walsh. They are always filled with laughter, tears, joy, love and faith. This cute little book is no exception. It is very relatable to those of us who have experienced the empty nest syndrome . The kids move away and start their own lives with their families , while the parents are left with an empty house and memories. Stan and Judith are feeling the heartache this holiday when the kids aren't able to cone home for Thanksgiving. Judith sinks into a real depression when she finds out that the kids won't be home for Christmas either.

The author writes with such emotion and tells their story with grace and charm. Stan does a great job of trying to get his wife out of her depression, but nothing seems to work. It is a story much like you would see on a HALLMARK movie with families trying to make the most of a sad Christmas. For some it may be a predictable story, but for others it will show them what sacrifice a husband will do to make his wife happy and see her smile again. Overall I enjoyed the book. I suggest you get your tissues ready, settle down in a comfy place, and get ready for a story that gives you hope and shows what unconditional love is. KEEPING CHRISTMAS is a story that is great for anyone looking for a book about families , traditions and faith.

I received a copy of this book from NetGalley for an honest review. ( )
  Harley0326 | Dec 30, 2015 |
In this Christmas story we meet Stan and Judith, empty nesters. The story starts with Thanksgiving and the fact that none of the children and grandchildren are able to make it home for the holidays and they will not be able to get there for Christmas either. Judith takes this very hard. She does not want to decorate the house or do any Christmas type activities. Stan, on the other hand, goes about business as usual and is puzzled with the way Judith is acting. Being in that same age bracket, I can really understand what Judith is going through, but I did not like the way she responded. This story shows how love will help you make the decisions necessary for those you care about. There is also mention of church and the true reason for the season but it is not overly preachy. There are some solutions at the end of the story about overcoming empty nest syndrome but I wish there had been more. I did enjoy the story and the happy ending certainly saved the book for me. It was a quick read that really showed how families are becoming strangers to one another (electronics, other interests etc.) and that we need to make an effort if we want those family bonds to remain and become stronger.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  Carlathelibrarian | Dec 14, 2015 |
This is a sweet Christmas story. Judith and Stan are now empty nesters and none of their children are able to make it home for Thanksgiving or for Christmas. This puts Judith in a bad funk. She doesn't know how to handle having no children at home any more. Stan doesn't know what to do. Stan and Judith's friends try to cheer her up with different ideas to do. I really enjoyed this story. I received this book from Revell reads for a fair and honest opinion. ( )
  Virginia51 | Nov 30, 2015 |

For the first time since their children were born, empty nesters Judith and Stan Winters spent Thanksgiving without the kids, and it's looking like Christmas will be the same. Judith can't bring herself to even start decorating for the holiday; her kids always hung the first ornaments on the tree, ornaments they had made each year since they were toddlers. Sure they were strange-looking--some could be called downright ugly--but they were tradition. A tradition she's heartbroken to miss this year.

With Judith refusing to decorate the bare spruce tree in their living room, Stan knows something must be done. And his only hope for saving the holiday is found in a box of handmade ornaments.

Fan-favorite Dan Walsh invites readers to enjoy this nostalgic Christmas story that celebrates all of our most cherished seasonal traditions, especially the importance of family. Readers will join in remembering the things that make their own Christmas season so special.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 03 Aug 2015 07:16:15 -0400)

For the first time since their children were born, empty nesters Judith and Stan Winters spent Thanksgiving without the kids, and it's looking like Christmas will be the same. Judith can't bring herself to even start decorating for the holiday; her kids always hung the first ornaments on the tree, ornaments they had made each year since they were toddlers. Sure they were strange - looking -- some could be called downright ugly -- but they were tradition. A tradition she's heartbroken to miss this year.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,001 books! | Top bar: Always visible