Vandal by Carian Cole

DNF at 20%. I found it a.) unbelievable, and b.) repulsive that Vandal approached h while she was crying at her husband's grave and asked her if she wanted to go for a ride on his motorcycle and then she said sure and proceeded to hop on the back of his bike and go home with him, never even exchanging names with him.I mean, really. I know this is fiction, but I found Vandal to be the very definition of selfish poor taste and what's her name to be the very definition of stupid and reckless. Maybe they got better as the book progressed but I found them both to be so distasteful I could not continue. I'm glad I read [b:Lukas|26002023|Lukas (Ashes & Embers Book 3)|Carian Cole|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1439515473s/26002023.jpg|44445086] first beciause that was actually pretty good. Had I tried to read [b:Vandal (Ashes & Embers)|25235934|Vandal (Ashes & Embers) (Volume 2)|Carian Cole|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1427555378s/25235934.jpg|42861459] first I probably would not have even given Lukas a try. I still have not read the first book, [b:Storm (Ashes & Embers)|25101653|Storm (Ashes & Embers) (Volume 1)|Carian Cole|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1425855910s/25101653.jpg|42702668], however the sample seemed promising. I will probably give it a try and just hope for the best.
  AddictedReader28 | Oct 20, 2017 |
loved

how heartbreaking this story was at the beginning, but sometimes out of the deepest sorrow we can find redemption in the unlikeliest places. Loved Vandal he was such a tortured destroyed soul and Tabitha was such a balm to his soul she was also a really sweet but still feisty gal, I was rather shocked at her secret in the last chapter didn't see that one coming. I actually thought the D/S context of there relationship suited the nature of this pairs Circumstance's so glad vandal got to vandalize his Tabicat loved it. ( )
  carpathian1974 | Jun 6, 2017 |
This series is about a family of men, brothers and cousins, that are musicians and tattoo artists. I had no idea going into this book that it would be such an emotional read. I had tears at times. The male lead had a harsh childhood and now has issues with addiction. As if he isn't having a hard enough time in life, something unimaginably terrible happens."Honey, life is a series of mistakes, regrets, bad decisions, tragedies, and occasional good luck. It's not your fault."
Vandal can at times come off as a dick, but he completely knows it and owns it. Until now, that's the only side of himself he is willing to show. He's not the type to open himself to romantic love. He is the type to go for D/s lifestyle.

Tabitha and Vandal are very different yet have so much in common. Both are looking for a way through the pain. They begin a precarious affair that may save them or completely destroy them.

If you're looking for angst, drama and emotions galore, this is probably the book for you.
3.75-4 stars

***Copy given in exchange for an honest review***

toni

FangirlMoments and My Two Cents

FULL REVIEW CAN BE FOUND AT http://fangirlmomentsandmytwocents.blogspot.com/2015/03/vandal-by-carian-cole-bl... ( )
  ToniFGMAMTC | Jan 19, 2017 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: A dark erotic romance with BDSM elements.

Opening Sentence: I’m balls deep in my latest blonde when my cell phone starts to vibrate, skidding across the nightstand beside my bed.

The Review:

Vandal is the second novel in the Ashes and Embers series. I immediately picked this novel up after reading Storm and devoured this one in two days because I needed some sleep (details in the Storm review). Vandal is the complete opposite of Storm. This novel is a dark erotic romance with BDSM elements. This one is also not a New Adult. I really loved the ambiguity of the synopsis, even if I hadn’t read Storm, I would have picked this novel up just from that alone. Vandal is also different from Storm in that this novel is told from two different points of view, Vandal’s and Tabitha’s.

I don’t really want to give away too much with this review but Vandal is a really broken man. He had a terrible childhood and life really hasn’t been too kind. The only positive for him has been Ashes and Embers and learning about a family he didn’t know he had. Recently, life has dealt another bad hand to him when he is responsible for a car accident that kills three people. He spirals into depression, cutting and drugs, hoping that one of them will end his suffering. Vandal has an addictive personality and when he sets his sights on Tabitha he won’t let her go.

Tabitha is the only survivor of the wreck that Vandal caused. She is severely depressed and suicidal so she has no problem running off with a complete stranger. (Something that I initially had a little problem with but since she was suicidal I could see her doing that.) Together Vandal and Tabitha explore new ways to *hopefully* pull them both out of depression and give them a new lease on life.

BDSM is a huge element to the storyline. I don’t usually have a problem with it but I couldn’t help but feel that Vandal is just taking advantage of a woman’s poor mental state. I also cringed during the whole line of ‘I can sleep with however many women I want but you can only sleep with me’ bull crap. I really hate those double standards. Of course, Vandal wants to keep her locked away only because he doesn’t want her to know anything about him.

Vandal also doesn’t have an entirely happy ending. It is more of a happy for now open ending. I really felt like there could be more to their story later on.

Overall, I really enjoyed Vandal even with the things I disagreed with. Vandal is a really dark and tortured man that I really wanted to see any amount of happiness that he could get. I look forward to the next book in the series, Lukas. His story has been set up during the first two and I can’t wait to get to know him more.

Notable Scene:

Katie. Tabitha heard her crying, and I want to know where my baby was. Was she trapped in the car? Thrown out into the road? I want to force Tabitha to tell me everything she remembers, where she was, and where the sound of the crying was coming from. I want to grab her and demand that she tell me what she saw, what else she heard. She must remember more.

I can’t do any of those things, though. No normal bystander would ask those questions, and she’ll know I either have something to do with it or she’ll think I’m some kind of fucking lunatic for asking crazy questions.

If I dwell on this I’m going to lose my mind over it. I want a drink so bad right now I can practically feel the burn of the alcohol just thinking about it. Or I could take a pill and let it pull me to sleep—anything to make this pain go away again.

Don’t do it.

Think about Tabitha instead. Focus on her.

Breathing deeply, I close my eyes divert my thoughts. My head is twisted like a pretzel over this girl. I have no right to feel jealousy over her deceased husband. I may have distracted her for a few days, but she is still grieving and missing him. Reliving the accident in her dreams is not helping. I know too well what that feels like.

I brought her here to make her forget, give her something new, and now I don’t want to be the distraction, because distractions are temporary and unfulfilling. For the first time in my life, I want more than a quick fix. I want to be more than a quick fix for someone, or a novelty item for them.

I hate that Tabi’s in bed alone, haunted by her own awful memories of the accident. She’s crying for the man she loved and lost, a good man that deserved her love. A man who isn’t the monster of her nightmares.

That’s me.

FTC Advisory: I purchased my own copy of Vandal. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | May 5, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,625,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible