Royal Love Stories by Gill Paul

Royal Love Stories (2015)

by Gill Paul

Love and marriage were not the norms for the nobility of Europe. Marriage was a way to gain more land and power. This book is about the marriages that were successful and the marriages or love affair that changed the lives of many. Some of the stories were new to me and very romance. I was glad I read this book to look inside the lives of the royals. ( )
  JCGirl | May 14, 2016 |
An interesting collection of facts and entertaining entries, this work is a perfect reader for anyone who’s looking to learn something but doesn’t want to dive into an encyclopedia length non-fiction. It’s a light and easy read but contains some very intriguing information that one probably isn’t going to find in your run-of-the-mill historical textbook.

I enjoyed the variety of stories in this volume, from the very well-known like Will & Kate (you’d have to be living under a rock to not be aware of this one!!) to the more obscure like Victor Emmanuel and Rosa. The author incorporates pictures and some quotes to give the book some weight but writes in such a way that I fairly flew through this work on royal love stories.

I’ve read the author’s work on Titanic newlyweds and see that she’s also done similar works for war romances. I can’t wait to dive into more from her. I’d recommend this work if you’re in the market for light historical non-fiction that won’t put you to sleep or weight you down with a mountain of indigestible facts. ( )
  Sarah_Gruwell | Jan 13, 2016 |
Excellent collection of European royal romances and marriages through history. Begins with Peter I of Portugal and ends with William and Catherine of Great Britain. Well illustrated and entertaining. ( )
  MerryMary | Nov 21, 2015 |
For my loely friend Katie, who used to bCalvie the princess of Calvi.
Introduction:  Behind the razzle-dazzle of royal life, it is the relationships at the heart of history's most illustrious dynasties that have proved so compelling.
During the Middle Ages, marriages in the Portuguese royal family were part of a complex game of diplomacy with their neighbors in the various kingdoms of Spain, of which the most powerful was Castile.

The true stories of royal affairs of the heart over the last two centuries, with the letters, personal accounts, and memorabilia that tell the real tales behind the contemporary headlines. Stories told in the context of a rapidly changing world picture, in which the very nature of royalty itself was to change.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,427,212 books! | Top bar: Always visible