Survival of the Ginnest by Aimee Horton

Survival of the Ginnest

by Aimee Horton

114820,536 (3)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I read this book only because I was supposed to receive a reviewer's copy through Library Thing. I never received the book but was curious about it. It was a quick read, which is good because I found the main character insipid and irritating and couldn't wait to be done with the book. ( )
  iris3039 | Dec 1, 2015 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dottie Harris is self-absorbed, not that funny, and not quite the role model of motherhood.

I was intrigued by the approach of this book, using Facebook posts to tell the story of Dottie Harris as she goes from married working woman who parties with friends after work, through two pregnancies, toddlerhood, etc. The distraction of the extra information - Likes, time stamps (although no comments, which might have been fun actually) - went away fairly quickly.

As a married working woman who's been through two pregnancies, toddlerhood, etc., I expected to enjoy the book, being able to relate to her experiences and stories. But I didn't. Dottie Harris doesn't seem to enjoy her children much, and mostly whines about them. While I realize the FB posts are just a means to telling the story, they sometimes felt like too much information and reminded me of what I don't like about social networking. Dottie doesn't share a lot of happy, fun stories. And worst of all, she is breastfeeding at least for a while, and clearly drinking every night at the same time, which turned my stomach.

I considered if a good target audience for the book might be single or child-free women, but decided it might just be depressing as there isn't much of a balance in the stories about kids.

If you are a big social networker, cynical about kids, or really intrigued by FB posts as a medium for story telling, there are certainly some chuckles to be found in this story (hence my two star rating). If you're looking for a fun take on motherhood, I'd go with Amber Dusick or another of the fun "mommy bloggers" instead. ( )
  peralb | Aug 19, 2015 |
‘What an unusual way to write a book’, was my first thought as I started reading it. It took me a few moments to get accustomed to read a book written entirely in the form of social media updates but as I read a few lines I got involved in Dottie’s life and was eager to read further.

Aimee Horton takes us through the life of Dottie Harris, her pregnancy and motherhood. Dottie is like any other modern day woman handling home and work. Life was going on well till she finds herself expecting her first baby. Dottie shares some cute moments as well as chaotic ones. There are moments of exasperation and moments of humor in her status updates.
The struggles of parenting and the tantrums make Dottie resort to a glass of wine or gin. She eagerly waits for her kids’ bedtime so that she can escape to her bar and relax.
Dottie’s social media diary is interesting to read and makes you want to know what happens next. Oh, I loved the Monster and the Chubster and all their antics that made Dottie run up against the wall. Most women would love and relate to Dottie and her life the way I did.

As a debut author, Aimee Horton’s unique style of writing is commendable.
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It is funny and light-hearted. Survival of the Ginnest is a quick read and a perfect way to relax with a glass of gin.

****I received a free copy (eBook) of Survival of the Ginnest via the LibraryThing Member Giveaways program. The views expressed here are my own and unbiased. ( )
  ShilpaNiraj | May 28, 2015 |
I received a copy of this book from LibraryThing for an honest review

I have never heard of this author before, but was anxious to read her book. As I opened it up I was quite surprised that It was all written in a span of four years on the character's Facebook page. I began to place a grin on my face. I was in for a treat . How genius to write a book this way. In the age of technology, everyone it seems has a Facebook page, so why not write a book looking at someone's life thru their Facebook page.

We begin with the lovely Dottie who is married and posting little tidbits about her life. Her life is going well till one dreadful day she discovers something about herself. She is PREGNANT ! Then the brilliant writing of the author takes us on a journey with Dottie via Facebook. Dottie describes her utter disgust of morning sickness and gaining weight. As I began to read the book, I noticed just like on Facebook how many likes she had for each post she made. Sometimes I was tempted to click on there to see who liked her post. That made me laugh as I remembered I was reading a book.

After giving birth, Dottie seems bliss for a few days, buy alas her posts begin to change. Having a baby is hard work as she soon discovers. The author takes us on a journey thru motherhood in a delightful, funny and quirky way. On many posts, Dottie refers to her child as monster as she clearly is not adjusting well to spit up, teething , temper tantrums and sleepless nights.

I was impressed that the author was able to write a book and keep readers interested by reading posts from someone's Facebook . She gives her character funny, frustrating , happy and challenging days that mons go thru . I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to read a book that has a unique style that keeps you intrigued till till the end. ( )
  Harley0326 | May 23, 2015 |

Meet Dottie Harris. She was living the self-indulgent lifestyle of every childless couple... and then she had kids.

Struggling through pregnancy and motherhood, Dottie turns to social networking. She quickly becomes reliant on it, using it as a way to reach out to others and come to terms with the funny side of motherhood, whilst realising she’s not the only person to consider anything after 7 a.m. a lie in.

Follow Dottie on her journey—made up entirely of Facebook-style updates—spanning four years of her sleep-deprived life. She bluntly shares her worries, insecurities, tears and tantrums, along with the things nobody ever tells you about motherhood!

Full of humor and honesty, Dottie's modern-day diary gives a glimpse into motherhood as she trades in her social life for the sofa and a bottle of gin, watching her children grow older while she grows less enthusiastic.

A modern-day diary loaded with parenting humor

If you're looking for a funny chick lit read packed with parenting humor, or simply want to know you're not the only one having trouble parenting newborns and toddlers, this book about the ups and downs of mothering is for you!

Interview with the Author

Q. What was your inspiration to write the Survival series?

A. Mainly my friends and family! I'd bump into people and they'd comment on how my Facebook updates made them smile after a bad day with the kids. One day, while I was working on another book, I needed a bit of light relief and decided that a book in the style of social networking might be a good way of getting to know a character, both for me and people who don't have as much time to read as they'd like. Dottie turned into somebody people wanted to read more of, and the ideas of the predicaments she could get into kept coming thick and fast—especially with my own two monkeys providing material!

Q. It seems these books could fit into several genres. How would you categorize them?

A. While Dottie is a fictional character, her struggles are real. So I'd say anyone who enjoys parenting humor or parenting books in general will enjoy the Survival series. And anyone looking for parenting support to get through the baby blues and could use a laugh will enjoy these books! Also, those who enjoy funny chick lit, general humor, or women's fiction.

Q. What sets Dottie apart, and how is her story different from all the other funny chick lit books out there?

A. I think, in fact, part of what attracts people to this series is that Dottie's struggles AREN'T different from everyone else's. However, the way she tells them IS different. Survival of the Ginnest is comprised entirely of fictional social media updates that are about as honest as you can get. Dottie shares everything, even some of her not-so-fine parenting moments. The other books in the series, Survival of the Christmas Spirit and Mothers Ruined, are traditional novels but contain Dottie's unique brand of humour.

Q. What order should I read the books in?

A. Each book in the Survival series can stand alone, but like gin and tonic, they go great together! I would recommend the following order:

- Survival of the Ginnest
- Lush in Translation
- Survival of the Christmas Spirit
- Mothers Ruined

If you enjoy fun, light reads with a humorous look at parenting (and drinking gin!), you'll enjoy the Survival series. Thanks for reading!