The Fall of Brackenbone by Roy Huff

The Fall of Brackenbone

by Roy Huff

The Fall of Brackenbone is not the first Roy Huff’s Everville novels, but it’s easy enough to pick up and start reading. Yes, the reader will wonder about details of what went before. But Brackenbone has its own story, with the threat of war still looming “just below the horizon. The enemy strikes the instant arrogance blinds you…”

Readers are quickly transported to a different world, only to find it connected to portals in our own, and to curious possibilities of times and element. Can the vanquished be forgiven? Can wrongdoers repent? And can unforgiveness foment the disastrous undoing of everything? Student Owen Sage might find himself paired with an unlikely partner as his next quest begins, taking him from Easton Falls University to a place where giants and dragons might fall. And worlds hang in the balance.

Author Roy Huff has created a wealth of different worlds and characters in this series, with scenes reminiscent of Lilliput standing side by side with Tolkeinesque monsters and dangers of the middle ages. Add time travel’s curious complications and the possibility of redemption, seek the Seven Pillars of Truth, and read to an exciting conclusion that complete the tale and promises more to come.

Disclosure: I was given an ecopy a long time ago. I’m just sorry it took me so long to get around to reading it. I shall enjoy this series. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Oct 6, 2016 |
Everville: The fall of Brackenbone Is magic! This book was defiantly my favorite of the four, (it also helps that it has just enough detail from the other books to catch you up with the series.)
Everville brings you in to a wonderland, fantasy, realm you never want rabbit hole out of.
Everville: The Fall of Brackenbone is about:
Owen Sage who takes on the task to save two worlds from a great evil and goes to search for the fourth pillar of truth and face the powerful and evil Governor Jahal. During Owen’s journey he will have to face giants, two lands raging war, and a dragon. Will Owen be able to become the paladin and save Everville or will evil win...
I read this book cover to cover and was never let down I hope you all enjoy this as much as I have and defiantly get your hands on a copy. ( )
  Girl-Bibliobibuli | Jun 28, 2015 |
This is the fourth book in the series. In this book we find Owen looking for the fourth Pillar of Truth. This time he will have to battle Jabel the evil governor. This time a human is working with the evil governor. I’ve read the other three books in the series. However, if you were to pick up this book and read it first you would be able to follow along. Mr. Huff has done a great job of providing enough background information for the reader to catch up.

This is a great fantasy where the world building continues to draw you in and make you a participant in the story, I highly recommend the entire series.

I received a copy to facilitate my review. The opinions expressed here are my own. ( )
  skstiles612 | Jun 7, 2015 |
Imagine two worlds and several different lands all connected by magic. We have the Eastern Falls University and the magical world of Everville. Something bad is brewing in both worlds and a hero is needed to find out what is happening. Owen Sage takes on the task and goes to search for the fourth pillar of truth and face the powerful but evil Governor Jahal. On Owen’s journey he will have to deal with dragons, giants and countries at war, but he must carry on because he is the only one who can save both worlds.

Everville The Fall Of Brackenbone by Roy Huff is a work of epic fantasy. Roy has created his own mythology in the story of Everville and its a journey that fans of fantasy novels will love. What I liked most about this book was how all these different races of people and creatures are connected, everyone is important in their own way.

I like how imaginative this book is and the messages he is trying to get across. I also think the author has some really creative ideas, but I have to admit I did have some problems with it. While I did enjoy it, starting with the fourth book in a series was not a good idea, I got the feeling the author meant for this book to continue a larger story and not be a stand alone novel. I found myself being a little lost, I didn’t know much about the characters, the different countries or how everyone got to where they were. That being said, reading this did make me want to pick up the other three books.

The other problem I had with it was that while the story was decent, it seemed more like a very detailed outline of a story then a full book. There were some scenes that I felt could have been expanded on, for instance there was a part where two characters fight monsters in a cave, but instead of a description of a great fight scene we got just a couple of sentences saying that it happened. Also at one point there is a scene where we find that two characters have to work together despite their mistrust of each other. At this point I found myself thinking that this is where the story will get really good. Instead the two resolve their differences quickly and we’re off to another part of the story.

There is a great concept and a lot of potential in Everville The Fall Of Brackenbone. I found the characters interesting, I loved how everything was connected, I liked how the magic in the story worked and how different all the races of creatures were. There is a lot to like in this book but it felt more like a small part of a much bigger story. If you read the first three in the series you will probably enjoy this book. Roy Huff has built a great fantasy world here that I would love to start reading from the beginning in Everville: The First Pillar. ( )
  dwatson2 | May 6, 2015 |

LibraryThing Member Giveaway

Roy Huff's book Everville: The Fall of Brackenbone was available from LibraryThing Member Giveaway.

Roy Huff is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible