Eighty and Out by Kim Cano

Eighty and Out

by Kim Cano

This book really intrigued me from the get go. The synopsis really drew me in and I couldn’t wait to see what happened within the book. This heartbreaking but beautiful tale of two sisters and the pact they made when they were young. Now they are older and have lived their lives – got married, had children – was it simply just a silly pact?

This is an emotional book with complex characters and it had be both laughing and crying in places. I loved the characters of Louise, Jeannie and Bernice and finding out how they have changed over the years despite that pact not to live past eighty all those years ago. I thoroughly believed in their setting and in the characters and their emotions. Another great offering from Kim Cano.

I received this book to review through Beck Valley Books Book Tours, all the opinions above are 100% my own. ( )
  rebeccajlsk | Mar 24, 2016 |
Eighty and Out is about a pact that sisters Louise and Jeannie agree to after visiting a beloved aunt that is living out her years in a nursing home and that is that they will not live past the age of eighty. Louise is the narrator of the story and we grow right along with these two sisters through childhood, high school years, forbidden love, college years for Louise, marriages and the birth of a child.

Not only do we learn about the sister's and their lives we get a peek into the relationships with the men they choose, deaths of loved ones and how Louise copes with it all. With strict but loving parents the two women grow up to have their own dramas to face. A story about love, loss, grief and ambitions. There were a lot of similarities to my own life as I grew up in the late 50's and the 60's, what a woman's role was, discrimination and racial tension so it brought a bit of nostalgia back for me. A bond between sisters is something that is hard to break and when it does it is heartbreaking and can leave a person grief stricken to the point that the person can't go on, but most of us do go on.

I really enjoyed this novel, loved the time period it was written in from the 50's all the way through 2000's. Fast paced, well written except for a few grammatical errors that in no way took me from being interested until the end of the book, and in spots had me in tears. ( )
  celticlady53 | Mar 21, 2016 |
When we experience death (or the events leading up to one), for a while afterwards, we tend to ponder on what we want for ourselves when the time comes. The majority of my grandparents (I had four sets as both sides were divorced) passed away when I was in my early teens. We spent several gruesome years visiting my ailing grandparents in nursing homes. Ever since, I have known that I would make it clear that I would not spend the last of my days in such a place. Eighty and Out brought back a lot of memories to that time period and helped me relate to the story of Lou. Lou faces a lot of triumphs as well as a lot of setbacks, too.

Lou has a fascinating relationship with her sister – I compared it to that of the relationship I had with my younger brother. Part of my pain was losing him in a tragic car accident. Life is short and this story encourages to live a fulfilling life. Life is messy and life is good – you just have to grab on and ride! I found myself wondering what would happen if they were still “happening” at 80. Would their thoughts on the pact change? I won’t reveal the end of the story but it’s an incredible read that you’ll find yourself completely immersed in by the time the last chapter rolls around!

lynchburgmama | Mar 17, 2016 |
I LOVE this book! The story of the lives of Louise and Jeannie, along with Lou's best friend Bernice, is so emotional and honest. We get to see the good and the bad, and we're always wondering whether or not it will end with the sisters carrying out their pact.
I found myself wanting to lecture the girls at times on their decisions. There are secrets and lies, and their lives are touched by racism, war, riots and feminism along with all the "normal" life events: love, marriage, babies, death, divorce.
This is one of the best women's fiction stories I've read in a long while. I would recommend it to all my female friends.

TeresaKander | May 22, 2015 |
As with all of Kim Cano's books that I have read, you become mesmerized by the story, the characters come to life somehow making a special bond with the reader, you instantly feel connected to them. This is a beautiful, gentle story of coming of age, love, loss, despair and happiness,

The story follows two sisters, Lou and Jeannie, along with Lou's best friend Bernice. They found themselves growing up in the racial hate timeline which was harsh and choosing whether to follow the pressure groups or your own heart and beliefs is a choice that they must make. Another choice the sisters made together was never to allow themselves to live past 80, to end up as their poor Aunt Violet has, living in a nursing home with her full life withering away to frailty.

As they grow through school, college and beyond their friendships grow, relationships start with the innocence of first love and dreams of their futures are created. But do they allow their hearts to win over their minds and follow their dreams ? Do they stick to their childhood sisterly pact?

There is always a lovely tone when reading this author's work, the light humor to this one made me smile from the things the parents said to the kids themselves and the way their minds work. Although I felt the emotional highs, I also felt the tremendous lows and the story line definitely pulled at my heartstrings with some of the sadness. I have to admit though at one part of the book I did shout out with anger, but I'm not telling you why!

I loved the close bonds of friendship and the sisterly love within the story. I also loved that the story highlighted that life is precious and love is what keeps life moving on even in those hard times. ( )
  beckvalleybooks | May 19, 2015 |

Lou has a fascinating relationship with her sister - I compared it to that of the relationship I had with my younger brother. Part of my pain was losing him in a tragic car accident. Life is short and this story encourages to live a fulfilling life. Life is messy and life is good - you just have to grab on and ride! I found myself wondering what would happen if they were still "happening" at 80. Would their thoughts on the pact change? I won't reveal the end of the story but it's an incredible read that you'll find yourself completely immersed in by the time the last chapter rolls around!

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,019,286 books! | Top bar: Always visible