Dream Of You: A Wait For You Novella (1001…

Dream Of You: A Wait For You Novella (1001 Dark Nights)

by Jennifer L. Armentrout

I wanted to read Dream of You because I love the Wait for You series as well as everything that Jennifer writes. I love her romance, characterization and wit/humor.

I liked Abby, and I could definitely connect with her and feel her on the slightly overweight think and how she loved cupcakes more than sit-ups. I adored the fact that Colton found her sexy just as she was, and actually had always wanted to talk to her, but he didn't want to come between her and her husband. Abby is now a widow though, she lost him in a car accident. She's had some disastrous dates but the chemistry with her and Colton has awakened something inside her, and wants that attraction and physical pull and emotional bond.

Colton is one of the detectives that is working the case that Abby saw. She witnessed a murder, and the murderer saw her face just like she saw his. This sets up the tension in the story and was the catalyst for the two meeting once again.

The emotions were well done. Abby had closed the chapter on the loss of her husband. She still thinks fondly of their time together and feels some transient pain. The horror of her witnessed murder is what has her in turmoil. Along with the attraction and yearning and flirtation between her and Colton kept things going and me entangled in the book.

I appreciated that it showed Abby as someone who had some doubts about her body. She isn't perfect, she sees herself as an average girl. I liked that it wasn't some huge drama in the past and that she doesn't have the best confidence. I know that reading you want an escape to read about strong females, but also I want a character that is relatable, and that is def something that I can relate to.

I liked the theme of the second chance romance. They both noticed each other in high school, but she was with someone. So now they have a chance to explore that attraction and see where it goes years later.

I liked how it wrapped up. It was a well paced and steamy romance. It was a novella but it was still over a hundred pages. Def worth my time.

Bottom Line: Relatable main character and hot romance. ( )
  brandileigh2003 | Jul 17, 2015 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales

Quick & Dirty: Dark storyline interspersed with steamy and fun romance and characters that are likeable.

Opening Sentence: You’d be really hot if you’d just lose some weight.

The Review:

Dream of You is a novella set in the Wait for You series and it features the hunky detective Colton Anders. If you like hot, steamy romantic scenes than you will love Dream of You. This novel is loosely a mystery/thriller but heavy on the romance. This is definitely for the mature reader. I am a huge fan of Jennifer L. Armentrout’s writing. She is able to write such steamy/tension filled scenes and Dream of You was no exception.

Abby Erickson witnesses a violent crime and it taken to the police station to file a report and identify the men that she saw commit the horrific act. One of the detectives who helps her just happens to be an old classmate of hers, one that she had a huge crush on but since she was with someone else at the time, she never acted on it. Heck, she didn’t even think Colton even knew who she was from school.

Life had just gone on in a different direction for Abby and not a very happy one either. Instead of dwelling on it, she pretty much just drowns herself in work. She doesn’t quite realize it until she meets Colton again. He spurs a fire in her that she hasn’t had in years.

Colton doesn’t want to miss out on an opportunity with Abby so he shows up at her house. He wants to check up on her and connect with her after all these years. He also believes that Abby’s life may still be in danger so he partially uses that as an excuse to see her.

The love/lust connection is pretty instant in Dream of You since it is a novella, partially explained by the fact that they had a past “connection”. I liked it and I think it did work for their story.

One thing about this series is that Abby’s job is as a book editor so there is a lot of name dropping. As a reader it is kind of fun in the beginning, especially the inside look of being an editor for some great authors, but after a while it did become a little annoying.

Abby is kind of complicated for me. I felt like she should have been more of a nutcase with all the tragedy happening around her. She manages to keep it together and notice what her shortcomings are so she tries to make an effort to fix them. I still think she could have freaked a little more. She does have a self-esteem problem that to me is pretty realistic.

Colton is quite open about why he wants to be around Abby and I am amazed at the fact that he does give her space even though he is pretty sure her life is in danger. He is sweet, comforting and masculine. He doesn’t want to push Abby too much.

Overall, the story was dark but the romance was quite steamy and fun. I liked the characters and would love to see their story expanded or at least mentioned in the future stories in this series. I haven’t read anything from this series before but I eagerly look forward to reading this series.

Notable Scene:

Colton kissed me once more. “There’re a few things I want to get straight.”

“Does that require talking?”

His answering chuckle brushed my lips. “It does.” There was a pause as his mouth brushed the corner of my lips. “But I can multitask.”

“Thank God,” I whispered.

His body shook with another laugh and then his mouth was moving along the curve of my jaw. “You’re not pretty.”

My eyes flew open and widened. “Excuse me?”

“I don’t think you’re pretty,” His mouth found my pulse. “I think you’re fucking beautiful.”

FTC Advisory: Evil Eye Concepts/InkSlingerPR provided me with a copy of Dream of You. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jul 9, 2015 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,921,949 books! | Top bar: Always visible