The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry

The Cater Street Hangman (original 1979; edition 2008)

by Anne Perry

Member:Zumbanista
Title:The Cater Street Hangman
Authors:Anne Perry
Info:Ballantine Books (2008), Paperback, 304 pages
Collections:Your library, 2012 Reads
Rating:****1/2
Tags:Historical Mystery, Victorian England

The Cater Street Hangman by Anne Perry (1979)

Recently added bylovelypenny, ccindyy, hljqld, Ellemir, LindaEdwards, cap43, private library, LT_Ammar
    Silent in the Grave by Deanna Raybourn (ddelmoni, readr)
    readr: Same kind of headstrong female character set in 19th century England, a creepy mystery, and some romance.
    And Only to Deceive by Tasha Alexander (ddelmoni)
    A Poisoned Season by Tasha Alexander (ddelmoni)

English (48)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (50)
Very entertaining. Though I couldn't divorce the author's background from the story. ( )
  lovelypenny | Feb 4, 2016 |
Interesting book and a nice quick read.

Set in Victorian London, a young woman is killed and suspicion falls on the various households in the vicinity. We see this through the eyes of the Ellison family. Initially it is presumed to be the work of the 'criminal class' but as Inspector Pitt enters their lives and the investigation progresses, it becomes unclear just who could be the perpetrator. More girls are killed and there is no common thread between them. As a backdrop to all this, you have the lives of Victorian gentlemen and women, the inequalities and injustices, the pampered lives versus the lives of the ordinary people they try to blame. Of course, suspicion falls on each in turn and they end up not trusting each other for various reasons. None of this is in any depth, and that was a little disappointing, but in order to maintain the pace and keep it as a mystery rather than a historical novel, I guess that was the easiest way forward. Plus, of course, this is the first in a series of books, so I fully expect that later books expand on the various characters and the reader will learn more about them. Finally, I thought I'd worked it out fairly early on, but I was wrong.... close but wrong.

Not a challenging book - read it in 2 sittings - but enjoyable enough and a light interlude after a couple of books that I struggled to maintain interest in.
  Cassandra2020 | Jan 24, 2016 |
This is the first Charlotte and Inspector Pitt murder mystery which I have never read. When it opens Charlotte is still unmarried and living at home with her parents, her sister, Emily and her married sister Sarah and her husband, Dominic.

The book sets up all the characters for all the volumes to come in this series. We see how stultifying Charlotte finds her proper upper middle class Victorian life where women ere expected to be little more than dutiful daughters and wives with no thought on intellectual accomplishments. While her sister, Emily, seems to be able to adapt this life to her own ends. Charlotte is totally unable to fit into this staid society. Her sister, Sarah, doesn't do much better, seemingly to fall into a self-righteous existence occupied mainly by doing good works with the vicar's wife and harboring deep suspicions about CHarlotte's affection toward her husband.

When a madman starts garroting women in their neighborhood, Inspector Pitt arrives on the scene. At first Charlotte finds him appalling and beneath her station in life. But as the body count rises and gets closer and closer to her home, the attraction between them becomes unmistakable.

This is a fun read and made me wish that Pitt had stayed a policeman instead of moving into special branch in the later novels. The books were much more fun when the two of them were a team solving crimes. ( )
  etxgardener | Jul 13, 2015 |
Great mystery! Charlotte is a sympathetic heroine, flawed and trying to do the right thing. The perspective shifts threw me a bit, and I thought the names might have been a bit obvious, but... nope! ;-) A good read. ( )
  MargaretPinardAuthor | May 23, 2015 |
Charlotte Ellison is an outspoken woman in Victorian England. She likes to say what’s on her mind and she doesn’t like making meaningless conversation. Charlotte also likes to sneak peeks at the newspaper and secretly reads books on historic wars and other subjects that her family considers too barbaric for a woman to read.

But a string of violent murders start to happen on Cater Street where Charlotte lives with her family. Two girls are strangled and mutilated, but aside from how they were killed there seems to be no other connection. One was a wealthy girl and the other was a maid. Then one of the maids from the Ellison house becomes the next victim of the hangman and Charlotte and her family are immediately thrown into the investigation and listed as potential suspects.

Enter Inspector Pitt who suspects everyone and doesn’t care what weird family drama he stirs up with his questions. With Pitt’s inquiring and the fact that some of the Ellison family can’t really account for their whereabouts on any of the nights of the murders the family starts to cast suspicious eyes on each other and also on their neighbors. It’s no longer safe for a woman to walk alone on Cater Street and Pitt is hanging around casa Ellison more than is comfortable to some family members.

The fact that narration kept switching point of views frequently throughout the novel drove me nuts. It was also confusing, because one minute you’d be Charlotte’s head then the next you’re in her mother’s head or one of her sisters. And honestly I didn’t care to get their perspective on the events, because I found her sister to be annoying and her mother to be a flat character. We also get glimpses inside the brother in-laws head and the crazy misery loving grandmother’s head. All of this just seemed like a cheap way to make sure the readers suspected more than one person. The mother laid more suspicion on the father, the sister more on the brother in-law, and the other sister gave us suspicion on her beau. We started off with Charlotte and we should’ve stayed with her or at least that’s my opinion.

The only other person I wouldn’t have minded changing to their POV is Inspector Pitt, but we never did.
One of the major things I liked about this book was the fact that Charlotte wasn’t an idiot and didn’t start fancying herself a detective. Never did she decide “I’m going to go find out who this monster is!” and start running around like a idiot causing more trouble for everyone. Instead she was more than willing to let Pitt handle everything, but of course she kept getting sucked into the affair. Anyway, I’m definitely looking forward to the next book in this series.
  Book_Minx | Jan 24, 2015 |

Anne Perryprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Damiani, MaddalenaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Porter, DavinaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Charlotte Ellison stood in the centre of the withdrawing room, the newspaper in her hand.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0449208672, Mass Market Paperback)

"An ingenious mystery and an excellent example of manners and caste systems of the Victorian era."
THE CHATTANOOGA TIMES
While the Ellison girls were out paying calls and drinking tea like proper Victorian ladies, a maid in their household was strangled to death. The quiet and young Inspector Pitt investigates the scene and finds no one above suspicion. As his intense questioning causes many a composed facade to crumble, Pitt finds himself couriously drawn to pretty Charlotte Ellison. Yet, a romance between a society girl and so unsuitable a suitor was impossible in the midst of a murder....

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:08:43 -0400)

Inspector Pitt investigates the murder of a maid in the Ellison household, and falls in love with Charlotte Ellison.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 102,992,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible