In The Darkness, That's Where I'll Know You:…

In The Darkness, That's Where I'll Know You: The Complete Black Room Story

by Luke Smitherd

I don't know what I expected when I began reading this book, but it certainly wasn't anything this good! From the moment Charlie woke up in Minnie's head to The End, I was hooked. The idea of parallel universes has always fascinated me and Luke Smitherd managed to make them even more intriguing. Charlie and Minnie (as well as Chuck) were so well developed that I truly began to wonder if the people I've seen talking to themselves might not be talking to a real someone. I read and re-read certain portions because ideas were presented that I hadn't thought of regarding other worlds and I had to make sure these ideas were in some way plausible. The descent into Chuck's warped mind was so well described that he scared me. If consciousness can travel, dear God and Goddess don't let anyone like Chuck near me.
This book is a great read for sci-fi fans as well as fans of psychological horror. Fantastic read and I highly recommend it.

I received this book for free in return for an honest review ( )
  Kindelvr137 | Nov 11, 2016 |
I would like to thank Flying Body Press & NetGalley for a copy of this e-book to review. Though I received this for free, that has no impact upon the honesty of my review.

Goodreads Teaser (Abbreviated) : "There are hangovers, there are bad hangovers, and then there's waking up inside someone else's head. Thirty-something bartender Charlie Wilkes is faced with this exact dilemma when he wakes to find himself trapped inside The Black Room; a space consisting of impenetrable darkness and a huge, ethereal screen floating in its centre. It is through this screen that he sees the world of his female host, Minnie.

How did he get there? What has happened to his life? And how can he exist inside the mind of a troubled, fragile, but beautiful woman with secrets of her own? Uncertain whether he's even real or if he's just a figment of his host's imagination, Charlie must enlist Minnie's help if he is to find a way out of The Black Room, a place where even the light of the screen goes out every time Minnie closes her eyes. . .

IN THE DARKNESS, THAT'S WHERE I'LL KNOW YOU tells the complete story of THE BLACK ROOM PARTS ONE TO FOUR all in one book, and contains all the adventures of Charlie and Minnie. All the answers are revealed in a story guaranteed to keep the reader on the edge of their seat."

What a ride; this book made me cringe, shudder, laugh, sigh, and read from start to finish in one sitting! Without doubt one of the more twisted stories I've had the pleasure of reading, Mr. Smitherd has taken an incredible concept and put his own stamp on it, creating a monumental task for others who decide to tackle anything remotely similar and not look as if they've created a copy that will pale in comparison.

I found that the further into the book I got, the more I was rooting for Charlie and Minnie. They continued gaining depth for the entirety of the story, never once feeling as though they'd plateaued or gotten stuck. And their development never felt rushed or forced, rather it meshed with the arc of the story beautifully. As for the action, well there was no lack in that department. Again it felt natural and almost obvious, melding with the character development until if felt impossible to tell which was leading the other; so I never quite knew if the action caused their growth, or their growth inspired the action. In my book that is one heck of a feat, and one I rarely see so well done.

Let's not forget about the crazy twists and turns that riddle this tale, all of which seemed to hit in just the right spots. Even those that I was pretty sure of felt smooth and original, leading me in one direction only to let me discover I'd been looking the wrong direction each time. This is one heck of a story, and I can't fathom having to try reading it as a serial; consider yourself lucky that it's all in one collected work, I know I do. If you're like me and this is your first introduction to Mr. Smitherd's works, I'm guessing that like me you'll be reaching for another story of his pretty darn quickly. The mind that created this story is sure to have many more wonderfully twisted tales to taunt us with, and I eagerly anticipate discovering more of his worlds. ( )
  Isisunit | Feb 3, 2016 |
A thriller of parallel worlds. What if there were multiple worlds that we lived in, where small changes in the events that occur shape our lives? What if it's possible to travel into the minds of our other selves? Would we be able to 'take over' the mind and body of the 'self' in the other world? How would that change our relationships with our colleagues and friends? What if one of our 'selves' was a vicious killer? ( )
  cameling | May 19, 2015 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,455,097 books! | Top bar: Always visible