Searching for Beautiful by Jennifer Probst

Searching for Beautiful

by Jennifer Probst

Series: Searching For… (3)

I loved Searching for Beautiful! I am completely new to this series, and it didn't look like something that I'd be into so I almost skipped over it. Flipping through the pages I stopped at a random page in the middle and read a few lines and just happened to get to a good part *ahem*. It was really well written so I started reading and I am really glad that I did! It was such a wonderful story.

Genevieve (Gen) starts out this story by running out on her own wedding, and you have no idea exactly why she's running but you know that it's bad. Wolfe is her best friend and he catches her leaving and helps her to escape. There was so much to this book and I know that there will be triggers for some people, although all of these things happen in the past and are talked about later on, I still felt like the author did a great job handling some very sensitive subjects.

I really enjoyed watching Gen find herself again after being in a bad relationship, seeing her become a strong, confident woman again was wonderful. She's a great character that you will really enjoy. I also enjoyed the journey that Wolfe goes on, forgiving himself for something he had no control over, and finding love along the way. What he goes through is both horrifying and amazing that he made it to where he is. Their story is one that brought tears to my eyes (I'm not ashamed to admit!), made me smile like a loon, and made me feel everything that they went through.

Overall, Searching for Beautiful was a lovely story that left me with that warm fuzzy feeling that you get at the end of great book. Don't worry if you haven't read the others first, I had no problem keeping up, and I want to go back and start at the beginning. I loved it and I hope you will too!

Originally reviewed on Book Liaison

***I have received this book as a member of the XOXperts, XOXO After Dark’s official street team, in exchange for an honest review.*** ( )
  Chrystina.Williams | Dec 4, 2015 |
5 "Why Not?" Stars! I couldn't stop reading this captivating best friends turned lovers romance. Fans of love stories that involve emotional healing--in this case on both the hero's and heroine's part--will not want to miss Searching For Beautiful. This story tore me apart and gave me courage to renew my hope in love all at different points. The thought that people with past demons would settle for something less than true happiness, due to their own insecurities and past misfortunes, and that others would prey on such weaknesses, is heart wrenching. Gen's and Wolfe's story will make you angry and want to fight for these poor souls, all the while giving you faith that every person, no matter how damaged, has their own unique soulmate who can heal and provide them with true happiness. If you are "searching for" a "beautiful" love story, then look no further!

As this is the third book in the Searching For Series, I feel that it is important to note that this story can nonetheless be read as a standalone. In that regard, I will point out that while there is definitely some overlap of the secondary characters who were involved in the prior books, the love story between the primary couple in Searching for Beautiful is fully contained in this book.

Genevieve MacKenzie, a medical resident, is about to experience what's supposed to be one of the happiest days of her life--her wedding day--and yet all she feels is great anxiety. Her fiance, who is also the Chief Surgeon at her hospital, and thereby also her boss, should be the perfect man for her HEA. Somehow, however, what used to be a dream come true has become quite the nightmare the closer they get to their big day. Manipulative and controlling, Dr. David Riscetti seems more concerned about turning her into his trophy wife than in truly making her happy.

Gen seizes the opportunity and chooses to go with her gut when she attempts to flee the inevitable disaster by climbing out the church window rather than walking down the aisle. Little could she have expected that the one man who would catch her fall would be none other than her one-time former best friend, Wolfe. Having become somewhat alienated from Wolfe since her engagement to David, Gen is surprised to find just how at ease she quickly becomes when Wolfe enables her escape and actually takes it upon himself to bring some joy back into Gen's life in this time of need. Imagine their surprise when after a short respite together they both realize that their feelings for one another have evolved making their once strictly platonic relationship a near certain impossibility. But, could they ever risk losing their most important relationship, their unique friendship, just to indulge their more base needs? Moreover, Gen is not the only one with past tragedies. Given their mutually damaged pasts--and failure to provide full disclosure--could they ever hope to find a HEA when all their secrets are out in the open?

What an intriguing story. Although of late I have read a lot of best friends to lovers stories, I was pleased to find that the art of this beautiful romance lies in the poignant way that Jennifer Probst tells this story. Ms. Probst draws you in and maintains your attention to the very end. Now I can't wait for the release of the next volume in the Searching For Series, Waiting for Always, which is scheduled to be release at the end of this month (June 2015).

Source: Review copy provided in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  B.J.O. | Jun 4, 2015 |
Searching for Beautiful by Jennifer Probst is a 2015 Gallery Books publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and the S&S XOXperts- The Official Street Team for XOXO After Dark.

Many of you will recognize Wolfe from a previous series, so having him featured in his own story is exciting. ( This book can be read as a stand alone- so don't worry if you aren't caught up with the other series)

When I picked the book up, I thought I knew what I as getting into. Friends to lovers has always been one of my favorite romance tropes, and with the premise of a runaway bride in the mix I was thinking of Julia Roberts and Richard Gere. Well, this story is nothing like that...

If you have read Jennifer Probst novels in the past you might find this one a little bit surprising. There are some uncomfortable topics addressed in the book and one should be prepared for a darker tone with this novel.

Wolfe has come from a very difficult background but was given a second chance in life by some really awesome people. He and Gen have always clicked, been great friends, but nothing more. But, Wolfe has always sensed something off about Gen's future husband, David, so, when Gen listens to that voice in her head telling her to RUN! - Wolfe doesn't ask questions, he simply whisks her away from her wedding and the alleged charmed life with David she was about to embark on.

Wolfe and Gen spend several days together having the time of their lives, but sooner or later Gen must return home and face David and her family. Thus begins a massive tug of war between Gen and David, with Wolfe in the middle. But, Gen is stronger than she knows and if there was ever a time to follow her heart, it is now. But, will outside forces and Wolfe's past prevent them from having their HEA?

This is a very different friends to lovers story, one I wasn't really expecting , but one that left me feeling very impressed.

I loved Wolfe, but his story is very difficult to read about. I think his outlook on life and the progress he has made proves that even if you don't get the best start in life, you can change how your future unfolds. Granted, Wolfe was given a chance many aren't lucky enough to get, but it was still up to him to make the best of that second chance, which he does - and it really pays off for him. In fact, Wolfe is the best hero I have encountered in awhile.

Gen makes a lot of progress in this book too, but she certainly made me nervous a time or two. I was terrified she would crumble under David manipulations and pressure from her family. At times I felt she should have taken a harder line in defending herself, but all in all, she did what she felt was right at the time. Gen is a great character with an open heart and mind, which complimented Wolfe perfectly.

I was disappointed in some of the secondary characters who advised Wolfe, and was proud of others who were supported Gen, when others didn't.

This story is not only one of romance and sensuality, although there is plenty of both, and ladies -Wolfe is all you dreamed he would be and then some, but this story is also packed with depth and meaning making the journey with Gen and Wolfe all the more special.

4.5 stars ( )
  gpangel | May 18, 2015 |

Jennifer Probstprimary authorall editionscalculated
Maby, MadeleineReadermain authorsome editionsconfirmed
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."
--Ernest Hemingway

"Since love grows within you, so beauty grows. For love is the beauty of the soul."
--St. Augustine
This book is dedicated to all my writing friends I have made along the way and are too many to name. Thanks for inspiring me with your words, making me laugh, giving me support, and reminding me I'm not clinically insane. I'm just a writer.

And for all my readers who have felt broken but keep moving forward. For all the ones who are searching for something beautiful in the world.
You already have it within.
One

She had to get out of here.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,095,258 books! | Top bar: Always visible